Thread: ectomorphic training

ectomorphic training

hello my name is marco. I have read an ectomorphic hardgainer should not train very frequently due to overtraining. i have even read that hardgainers cant fully recover from just one intense workout in a weeks time. through years of training i have found alot of truth in that statement. i have since been training only twice a week...and have put on a little more weight and grew strength through this method. i do quads and back during one workout and chest and tri's in another. being that these are the biggest muscle groups, the ones with all the real power movements, i tend to bomb these areas and leave out some littler muscle groups (biceps, forearms, calves ect ect) so as to put on weight. Dont get me wrong, those areas are not ignored completely, so stabilizer work isnt completely lagging. my question is...should i risk overtraining so as to add a 3rd training day? that way i can more fully isolate the areas and hit total legs one day(including calves), total back (including bi's and forearms) one day, and chest and tris one day? a third day would be beneficial, since i train quads and back all in the same session, quads first, and by the time i get to back it gets hit decently but sometimes not hard enough cus im already burnt from hitting the quads first. should i add the 3rd day and risk overtraining or keep my current routine? any suggestions would help thank you so much Marco

I want to know what you diet is. When a person says "hardgainer" anymore, I'm very skeptical. I used to be a what I thought was a "hardgainer" myself. Then I realized I just needed more calories than what I was getting and when I found where my maintenance calories were and started eating more than that (which was alot) I started growing like I thought I should.

As far as training goes, what exercises are you doing on each day? A 3 day training split is highly overtraining. If you are overtraining with only 2 days a week then its very likely you aren't getting enough to eat.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I recommend more reps of the fork-to-mouth supersetted with the glass-to-mouth. Doesn't have to be to failure, but frequent.

no i am not currently overtraining off only two sessions per week, but as the post says i heard that a ectomorph is not even capable of recuperating from even one session in a weeks time. so basically what i meant by that was taking caution u know...fear of overtraining. my diet i believe can use a lil work, i make sure i consume my 30 grams of protein every 3 hours about five times a day i get loads of carbs and what not. i eat mainly nothing but meat eggs and cheese. my question is if adding a third session per week is wise or not, mainly because i hate having to work quads and back in the same session cus the first one i work on burns me out so the second gets a lousy deal u know. well anyways i realize my answer is all in good old fashion trial and error...just seeking any suggestions or comments...thank u

Overtraining gets tossed out there a bit more than it actually happens. Recuperation is based on calories consumed and sleep scored. For me as an ectomorph, I recovered fairly quickly. I trained somewhere around 5-6 times a week for about an hour and never overtrained. That was just lifting, I was running track at the same time too. I was eating enough and getting enough sleep that it didn't make any difference.

You might have heard that the less movement an ectomorph does the better it is for them to gain weight because that's less calories they are burning. Doesn't really have that much to do with overtraining though.

For suggestions follow the WBB1 routines. There are ecto's that have gotten some good results out of it.

What are your stats? Height, weight, age? And how many calories a day are you getting?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Originally posted by HomeYield
    When a person says "hardgainer" anymore, I'm very skeptical. I used to be a what I thought was a "hardgainer" myself. Then I realized I just needed more calories than what I was getting...
    I'm beginning to think HomeYield and I are the same person.

I was the same way. I always considered myself a hard gainer until I started to learn about the importance of nutrition. Once I got a clue, I examined my diet and found I was lucky if I was getting in half of what I needed to in a day to gain. Once I commited to changing my diet I've experienced gains of up to 1 to 1.5 lbs per week for over 6 straight weeks without increasing body fat.

But getting back to your question, training 3 days a week is fine. I've found 4 to 5 days a week to be very comfortable for growth. Your body will react to that kind of schedule based on what you're doing outside of the gym. Diet and rest will be key.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    If you stick to doing low volume workouts using only 3-4 compound lifts with 3 min breaks, you will not overtrain.
    Do not work to failure especially if you are prone to not recovering, since failure requires longer recovery periods than normal.

As long as you eat like mad and get lots of sleep (8hrs minimum) you cant fail.
    BTW i worked out my daily calorie needs to grow using a silly formula, and this stated my cals (inc +500 for extra) was about 2600.

I ate 2600 cals for 12 weeks doing 3 w/o per week.
    In the end i lost some body fat and gained probably 7lbs of muscle.
    AWFUL for 12 weeks especially for a begginer.

I read up about ectomorphs and training and discovered that a fast metabolism gets faster due to the fact that you eat more regularly.
    Plus since ectomorphs naturally find it hard to store fat, it meant i could eat way more than any formula would advise and still reamin lean whilst gaining significant muscle mass.

My cals are now a target of 4000 per day and in 3 weeks and 1 day ive gained nearly 8lbs (mostly muscle) and my lifts are increasing too.

I firmly believe this is due to overeating, ectomorphs like myself seem to cope with overeating better than meso and endomorphs.
    Why not take advantage of that?
    Last edited by AlexBBbegginer; 10-21-2003 at 04:31 AM.
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!

"I recommend more reps of the fork-to-mouth supersetted with the glass-to-mouth. Doesn't have to be to failure, but frequent."
    LMAO! NICE!

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/cyberdrift/page7.html

Inspirational imo....

bulking
    Nice colours :x

nice

Hey well thanx bunches u guys this is my frist time posting just feeling the enviroment u know. good advice from u guys that i will put into play. thanx alot guys Marco
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 10-22-2003 at 04:35 PM.