The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thicker arms??

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Thicker arms??

I was wondering what the most effective routine is for training arms to get thickness.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

eat more...do dealfits
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

and dont do curls in the squat rack
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

hi

what!

Originally posted by Max-Mex
    eat more...do dealfits
    how the hell does doing deads help arms??!!!!!

hi

thinkness?

years and years of proper training
    perfect form with high intensity
    not doing arms with larger muscle groups, give em a day to themselves

Banned

Re: what!

Originally posted by JMD1648

how the hell does doing deads help arms??!!!!!
    here's a stab at why:

deadlifts and other major exercises liek squats help increase the strength of your largest muscles (legs, glutes, etc.)

your body grows as a whole, so training your legs hard promotes growth not only in your legs but all over

so, if you squat and dead, your legs get bigger, ergo your arms get bigger

deads also require you to hold onto a heavy weight with your arms, so there's a training effect there as well... I swear deadlifts added size to my forearms...

Banned
    I also dont' think that most trainees will see a major difference with this, but doing brachialis exercises as well as biceps exercises may help achieve the appearance of thicker biceps...

also remember that your triceps makes up for quite a bit of your arm girth. Big triceps = big arms. Don't neglect the tris.

hi

Re: Re: what!

Originally posted by Callahan

here's a stab at why:

deadlifts and other major exercises liek squats help increase the strength of your largest muscles (legs, glutes, etc.)

your body grows as a whole, so training your legs hard promotes growth not only in your legs but all over

deads also require you to hold onto a heavy weight with your arms, so there's a training effect there as well... I swear deadlifts added size to my forearms...
    dude what book did you read that out of?

try training a few more years

Banned

Re: Re: Re: what!

dude what book did you read that out of?

try training a few more years
    Any more gems of wisdom and halfassed sarcasm to share with us?

Generally, we promote an envionment of polite debate and discussion here at WBB. Feel free to disagree with someone.

But keep your snarky comments for other boards.

hi
    sorry i just get agravated when i try to help people out and then some other idiot writes crap. its like the blind leading the blind. and im not calling you an idiot. its just that alot of people in here give advice that dont know what they are talking about.

lets go back to the deadlift advice.
    i agree its a strong full body activator, but there is no concentric/eccentric movements. the muscle fibers do not shorten at all. your grip may improve. but how do your arms aid?
    arent they suppose to be like ropes with hooks?

To add to, or try to explain better Cal's point. Do you ever see people with huge arms, but the rest of them is disproportionately smaller? No, so to make your arms bigger, make all of you bigger.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Deadlifts will help your body grow, but not arms specifically. If you want your arms to grow, you need to train your arms intelligently. Kingkong, what kind of routine you do? Maybe a mix-up in the volume/frequency will help you out.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Re: Re: what!

Originally posted by Callahan

here's a stab at why:

Like Callahan said, It basically hits a boatload of your Large muscles as well as stabilizers which is key. If you only saw how many peeps get hurt because they have 1 enormously huge muscle group theyre isolating but have no core/stabilizers
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Not to mention GH should increase since more muscle groups are being worked. :P
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

My right arm has grown about 1/4 inch in the past 3 weeks but I eat and train like an animal. How are you working your arms now?

Originally posted by AllUp
    Not to mention GH should increase since more muscle groups are being worked. :P
    GH release from exercise doesn't do ****e for muscle growth. I think we all know what the point is here, but how about we actually help him with an arms routine?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

maybe try the chris mason arm routine

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=66
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

sorry i just get agravated when i try to help people out and then some other idiot writes crap. its like the blind leading the blind. and im not calling you an idiot. its just that alot of people in here give advice that dont know what they are talking about.

lets go back to the deadlift advice.
    i agree its a strong full body activator, but there is no concentric/eccentric movements. the muscle fibers do not shorten at all. your grip may improve. but how do your arms aid?
    arent they suppose to be like ropes with hooks?

You don't understand what he is saying, thus your attacks on him. The arms DO NOT have to be worked directly in order to grow.

There are true life examples of this phenomena. There are individuals who have undertaken squat only routines (untrained individuals) and gained 30+ lbs of bodyweight. Do you think this weight gain was all in the legs, glutes, and lower back? Of course not! The entire body grew including the arms. This is where the idea of squatting to grow bigger arms comes from.

Now, that being said, I too tire of the squat to get bigger arms responses that are all too often given in these sorts of threads. Most of the folks asking already work their legs hard (including squats).

The answer to increasing the size of your arms lies in gaining muscular bodyweight through a combination of hard training, low volume, plenty of rest, and big intake of calories.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Well, like most people say here, use the search function first. What Chris said about lifting, rest and diet is the same for any bodypart. Simple in theory, but not always simple to execute.

1. Lift
    2. Rest (grow)
    3. Eat

That's how I've come to understand it.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Wannabebig Member
    Well, to answer the question futher back..My routine contsists of just staning barbell curls for lower bicep and concentration curls for upper bicep. I train moderate to heavy, 10 reps of 3 of each. I dont do any wrist curls I use barbel curls to hit forearm or somtimes reverse curls instead of barbell curls.
    Do you think I should do fewer reps and increase weight?

Ya mix it up, do extremely heavy weight for a few weps and do lighter weight for higher reps. There's a ton of exercises for curls too so be a curl jockey don't hold back. Work them hard, but whatever you do don't work them 2 days in a row. How often you can work them depends on your activity level outside the gym, how hard you worked them last time, sleep, and how much you eat.

Banned
    I think an important question as well, is "how long have you been training, kingkong888?"

There's also no lower/upper bicep... in the bicep area you've got the Biceps Brachii(sp?), and the Brachialis. Maybe that's what you meant?

I think the idea of mixing in a higher weight/lower rep set in the beginning or middle of your curls might be a good idea. Personally, the last time I did standing curls I did a set of 115 aiming for 6, then a couple sets of 95 aiming for 8-10 reps. I also tend to work biceps after I've done back, on the same day, so I dont' get the intensity you might get on an arm-only kind of workout.

To reiterate a previous point, i don't think you can underestimate the importance of your triceps when seeking bigger arms. What's your tricep workout like?

add weighted dips to your routine, because if your asking how to get thicker arms i know your not doing them. i think they are the best mass building workout for your tri's. if youve never done them startout light for a a couple sessions (ie: 45#x15 for 3 sets) than work up to heavey (ie: 135#x8 for 4 sets). and for biceps do heavy preacher curls. ( 8repsx4sets than work your way to 5x5 of as heavy as you can complete)

Its funny you should say that because in Muscle and Fitness this month there is a 'How 2' guide on barbell curls in the squat rack!

When i saw it my jaw dropped and then i immediately turned the page! (by the way i dont buy muscle and fitness, for some reason Mr Weider has been sending me free issues since january, dont have a clue why??)
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Where else should barbell curls be done? Now, if you'd say "Don't do curls in the squat rack if people are waiting to squat", that's one thing. But actually, the squat rack is a perfect place to do barbell curls.

I'd mix up your routine a bit, kk. Barbell curls and concentration curls are enough for your biceps, but you might want to mix up the rep range as callahan suggested. And do those triceps, man! You'll never have anything more than mediocre arms (if even that) if you don't work those triceps.