The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

deadlift injury?

Hi everyone, been mostly lurking around these forums. Thanks everyone for the very informative posts, they have helped me a great deal.

Now about my back...Last Thursday was my deadlift day and I was doing 220lb with 25lb plates to work on my grip and ROM. I've read Tate's article on doing deads with low reps so my set/rep scheme for this exercise was 10x3. Toward the latter sets I was getting fatigued which hampered my form but I continued to go on. Bad idea. The next couple of days my lower back, more specifically my tail bone region, have been getting really odd sensations and soreness. It has been almost a week and the pains are getting stronger.

My question is, what kind of recovery exercises can I do to help to speed up my recovery. My gym does not have a reverse hyper machine, but i do find ways to do regular reverse hypers. Will partial deadlifts help the area? Am I going to have to just lay off the lower back exercises for a while? Does anyone have any similar experiences?

I really love deadlifts and I hope I can reach my goal of 385 by the end of the year

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If its bothering you, the best thing you can do is rest. Give the lower back and hamstrings time to recooperate from whatever happened. If they are still giving you problems, a doctor's visit might be in order. A back injury is definitely not something you want to try and work around.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

hi

rest

i agree with the guy above, rest is the only way to heal. work around the injury. and sorry, dont think your gonna hit that goal. your just gonna have to deal with it or train and make thinks worse. there are not exercises that fix pain. if your form was so bad you should have stopped. was your back rounded? if so you could have ruptured a disk. then again it could just be severe D.O.M.S.

Banned
    Originally posted by HomeYield
    If its bothering you, the best thing you can do is rest. Give the lower back and hamstrings time to recooperate from whatever happened. If they are still giving you problems, a doctor's visit might be in order. A back injury is definitely not something you want to try and work around.
    :withstupi

a visit to your chiropractor might also be a worthwhile (and easy) option to assess what's going on back there

chiropractor? *LOL* you gotta be kidding me

take ibuprofen every few hours.

Two oughta make you forget all about the pain...

Originally posted by geoffgarcia
    chiropractor? *LOL* you gotta be kidding me

Originally posted by geoffgarcia
    take ibuprofen every few hours.

Two oughta make you forget all about the pain...
    Why is it that ibuprofen would be a better solution than a chiropractor? You think that treating the symptom is better than finding the root of the problem? That doesn't seem odd to you?
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

No, it doesn't seem odd ot me at all...

you realize that chiropractors aren't real medical doctors right? about 99% of all medical doctors would tell you that you'd be better sleeping off a back injury than going to a chiropractor.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 10-23-2003 at 12:54 PM.

I still don't understand why taking medication to make the pain go away is going to see someone who specializes in spinal alignment. What's wrong with a GED? And yes a medical DR goes to school longer because they have to learn how to treat symptoms with chemicals that have horrible side effects instead of addressing problems.
    Old Journal

-PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

hahahah thats funny
    I assume your kidding, if your not thats even funnier

Could you be more specific? Which part did you think I was kidding about?
    Old Journal

-PwrMajt:

Chiropractors are perfectly valid. I "slept off" my back injury and now I have a degenerated disc. Yeah, good call Dr. Smith.

So until you can provide some "proof" other than condescension, I suggest you hush.

galileo
    hey I'm not knocking back/spinal dr's, I'm just saying if I'm gonna have ANYONE messing with my back I want it to be someone that knows exactly what they are doing. I find it hard to believe that in a 2-3 year school a chiro. is qualified to do this.
    if your back hurts I think you should see a medical dr.

I guess i'm a little reved up about this because on the local radio station a few weeks back this was the topic and they had dr.'s and patients calling in venting their low opinions of chiro's

and someone pissed in my cheerios today...
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 10-23-2003 at 04:36 PM.

I saw a medical doctor and he told me to rest it. I did and now I'm permanently and chronically injured. After seeing my chiropractor for 2 weeks the pain went away. Through regular adjustments I have at least stopped further degeneration.

Medical doctors will not do much for back problems, except:
    1. Drugs
    2. Surgery

Both of those are not realistic options. If you have a chiropractor who isn't any good, then he could do more harm than good, but that's why you get referrals and research first.

Wannabebig New Member
    Hmmm...a lot of differing opinions. I'm going to go ahead and see my physician anyway and get a referral to see a chiropractor. I've done some research and "diagnosed" myself with minor a sciatic nerve problem. There's discomfort when I twist my body and only when i sit down. Hopefully the physician can shed more light on my problem and not feed me some "get some rest" crap.

Also, I've been doing a lot of rehab stretches and holds that I've found online and I'm able to do many of them with ease, so maybe the damage isn't that severe and I can get back into DLing.

Do your self a favor wally dont DL untill you have seen both the chiro and DR.
    Old Journal

-PwrMajt: