Thread: Warming up for strength

Warming up for strength

What is your opinion of this (part of an) article:

Warming Up For Strength (1-6 reps)

When referring to strength I choose the traditional definition of absolute strength meaning to move the most weight possible, regardless of time or any other factor. Wanna bench press 350lbs? Pay Attention! Wanna do a pull-up with a Buick strapped to your waist? Listen up! I see this one screwed up every time I go to the gym. A bit of physiology is necessary to understand the implications of a proper (or improper) strength warm up. First off maximal strength is a product of the size and number of Type IIB muscle fibers, and the ability of your nervous system to activate them. These are the most sensitive of all of your fibers and are referred to as "high threshold". Think of them as that significant other you used to have that would cry and slam doors every time you said something wrong. Treat these fibers wrong, even for a second and they'll surely slam the door in your face causing you to lose strength.

Mistake #1: High Rep Warm Ups- High reps (10 and above) will cause your body to release lactic acid into the blood stream which significantly impairs the nervous system's ability to activate high threshold (think strength) motor units. WHAM!! The door just slammed, and an inspirational picture of your goal physique fell of the wall. Keep the reps in your warm up sets at six or below (see examples below).

Mistake #2: Low Set Warm Ups- Knock out 10 reps with the bar, 10 reps with plates on each side, and hit it…right? Wrong! Let your nervous system know what's coming for God's sake! Don't send a soldier into battle with pepper spray! The closer you are working to your one rep max during your real sets, the more warm up sets you need. I recommend about 3-5 warm up sets, each with progressively heavier weight, but never excessively fatiguing yourself for your real sets.

Mistake #3: Stretching- Before you turn the page muttering about heresy, hear me out. Healthy muscles remain at optimum contraction length in a resting position. When you stretch them, you cause them to go into a suboptimal contraction length, hence weakening the fibers (temporarily). Don't get me wrong, stretching is great, just not before you are going to call upon a muscle to perform at peak output levels. So save your stretching for after your workout, or better yet…stretch the antagonist (opposite) to the muscle you are going to use. Benching heavy- stretch the lats! Squatting heavy- stretch the hip flexors! You will find that this can enhance the effects of the stretch shortening cycle (that's a very good thing) and make your bench press/squat stronger! Exceptions do exist, however; if the muscle you are about to train is chronically tight, by all means stretch it first, because it is probably at a suboptimal contraction length at the other end of the spectrum. I am not going to discuss specifics, but for those of you familiar with PNF stretching, studies have shown it to cause short-term gains in strength, so feel free to give it a try pre-workout.

Mistake #4: General Warm Ups- The nervous system picks up patterns, and running on the treadmill, or pedal pushing for 5-10min to "get the blood flowing" or whatever rationale you use does nothing to prepare the C.N.S. for a highly specific task like benching, squatting, rows or any other exercise for that matter (other than running or biking). So do your body a favor and don't waste your glycogen (stored energy) on something that isn't going to help your body complete the task at hand. If you're going to squat, warm up by squatting, stay away from the treadmill. In fact, walk a wide path around it as I've seen those things leach glycogen from people's livers osmoticaly from three feet away. You wouldn't warm up your car for a trip to the grocery store by hopping on the highway would you?

Example Warm Up Routines:

Keep a constant moderate tempo on all reps, about 3 seconds down, 3 seconds up (3030)
    Only perform warm up sets for the 1st exercise per cold muscle group
    Rest only as long as it takes to change the weights between warm up sets
    6 > 4 > 2:
    Planned Work Sets- 4 sets of 6 reps @ 225lbs
    Warm up set 1: 50% 6RM =110lbs x 6 reps
    Warm up set 2: 70% 6RM =160lbs x 4 reps
    Warm up set 3: 90% 6RM =205lbs x 2 reps

4 > 3 > 2 > 1:
    Planned Work Sets- 5 sets of 3 reps @ 275lbs
    Warm up set 1: 50% 3RM =135lbs x 4 reps
    Warm up set 2: 75% 3RM =205lbs x 3 reps
    Warm up set 3: 90% 3RM =245lbs x 2 reps
    Warm up set 4: 95% 3RM =260lbs x 1 rep
    Source: http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/o.../na_warmup.htm

Warm-ups for me usually include what he said not to do...
    I'll usually jump rope/jumping jacks/bike for a couple minutes, then do short, light stretches, then do 2-3 warm-up sets for the first exercise (which generally happens to hit most of the muscles that I'll hit again later in the workout). I might do one short warm-up set for the other stuff...

So..your opinions?
    Last edited by KingJustin; 10-24-2003 at 07:36 PM.

He just pretty much described how I warm up. My 2nd to last warm up set isn't that close to my working set but the first warm up scheme he showed is my exact warm up.

I like to do some dips and pullups before any work but I never go over 6 reps on either. I've noticed all this has worked pretty well for me.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Same here.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

3:16
    me to
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Why do you think about "manual" warming up. I let very hot water runs on my hands before training, it makes my grip stronger.

Westside
    Nice article thats what i also do.

I already knew about not stretching, and the others I've heard before, but with it put all together it's a bit more dramatic. Looks like I need to rework my warmups.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6

Wannabebig Member
    I take the bar first and warmup with like 20 reps than i take 135 and dont' take much time inbetween and do that 15 x's than I take 225 do that 10x's and than I take 315 and do that for 5 reps than I do my 3 sets of 5, after my workout I do rotary cuff exercises to strengthen it, so I have a less of a chance of injuring my rotar cuff in the future.

Westside
    i used to do high rep warmups and by the time i did my heavy sets i was so drained. Since lately i have been doing slow increases in weight about 5 warm up sets and it helps out a lot.

Wannabebig Member
    If anyone wants to talk Powerlifting, my aim is PUMP4054LIFE

Good article. I have been going about warmups the wrong way.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

4 > 3 > 2 > 1:
    Planned Work Sets- 5 sets of 3 reps @ 275lbs
    Warm up set 1: 50% 3RM =135lbs x 4 reps
    Warm up set 2: 75% 3RM =205lbs x 3 reps
    Warm up set 3: 90% 3RM =245lbs x 2 reps
    Warm up set 4: 95% 3RM =260lbs x 1 rep
    I just did that one above. Worked awesome.

Westside
    Originally posted by DEADLIFT4405
    If anyone wants to talk Powerlifting, my aim is PUMP4054LIFE
    i put u on my buddy list but ur not on so ill talk to you when you come on.

I have to bump this. I do 10 reps for my sets so I modified the rep scheme. 10(50%)>5(70%)>3(90%). So much better than my old warmup routine. I feel better when I do the heavy sets now. More confident as well.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I agree with the concept pretty much, but not neccessarily with the prescribed warmup routines.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruise Brubaker View Post
    Why do you think about "manual" warming up. I let very hot water runs on my hands before training, it makes my grip stronger.
    Any science behind this?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post

anyway i amm going to be doing 250x3 for my first set and then 250x2 for 4 other sets i was thinking of doing this...

Then go into my sets.
    orly?
    Last edited by Reko; 05-30-2009 at 02:15 AM.

I do a general body warm up before I squat, if I don't I"m too tight.

Besides that I do about everything he says.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

For a heavy set of 235, I will do...

Barx10, 10
    115x5
    155x5
    205x2
    215x1, then
    235x5

something like that. If I'm doing a heavy set of 3 on squats I'll usually do...
    barx10, 10
    135x5
    225x5
    275x3
    315x1
    360x1
    400x3

So you're sort of adjusting for the plate jumps, but keeps things sensible. There's no reason to do 135x10, or really anything above 5 reps for a warm up (besides the bar), unless you're moving some massive weights.
    Last edited by Hazerboy; 05-30-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Banned
    Occasionally on my 5x5 I will do 1 rep of 5-10 pounds above my working set. I have always PRed when I have done this.

225 x 5, warmup to 235 x 1 then hit working sets.

When training equipped I usually do this.

Bench:

135 x 8-10

225 x 6

275 x 3

315 x 1

Add Shirt

500x 1-5 @ 2 boards (depending on what phase I'm in)

600 x 1-3 @ 2 boards (depending on what phase)

600-630 x 1 @ 1 board

700+ x 1 @ 2 boards (depending on phase, my best here was 821)

Squats: Briefs and belt

235 x 5

415 x 5

add wraps

600 x 1-5 (*depending on phase)

700 x 1

750-800+ x 1 *

Closer to meet, add suit

830-850 x 1

870 -900+ x 1

optional:

930+ x 1 (depending on the feel of the previous set) Vary the box height 1-2 inches high to feel and handle more weight.

That's a lot less reps than I used to do and still the best group of PLs I know tell me I'm doing way to many reps! Hard to give up the BB mentality completely; LOL! The first time I trained with them I was shocked that their 1st WU squat set was 415. Not to feel like a wuss' I started there and did 5 reps. One of them said "What! Are you a bodybuilder?" So, I started paying attention to what they were doing and every set was 1 rep! From 415 all the way to 1031! I quit at 903. I didn't feel I should question their philosophy...given their results! They bench the same way! They only rep on accessary days. Kinda' the extreme end of the above article!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)