The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    wHaKdOuTgEmInI

correcting upper back curve?

I used the search engine on the forum for correction of the spine "hunch" as they call it, and came up with nothing. The reasons they had a hunch is because of back injuries and what not. My problem came from being very overweight when I was younger. I've been lifting for four years, and did cardio to lose the fat. Now I've noticed that I have a little "C" curve in my upper back. I haven't been making it a point to work my back, except for bent over rows. I know theres other techniques and work outs for my back which i'm going to be starting next week. Question is, what would reduce the appearance of the "slight hunch"? I was worried that if I DID work my back more, it would only get worse. I was wondering if wearing a back brace would help straighten out my back also. I'm not looking for surgery, and i'm not sure that there is anything I can do to correct my posture permanently. I know all you smart asses out there would say something to the effect of,,,,"sit up straight". I'm not looking for that either. I'm just wondering what the possibilities were to correct the hunch. Thanks in advance.......
    LuNaTiCtOcBoOm

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    i used to have the problem of not standing up straight. not so much a hunch that you have, it just didnt look like i was straight, more like a slouch type. what i did to correct it was trying to pay attention and watch myself in the mirror or window of something when i walked. within a few weeks, my 'slouch' cleared up and now i stand up straight. and yes...working your back will help clear that up. that was yet another factor that played into my posture correction. if you have a big back and you stand up straight and dont slouch, you look alot bigger in the mirror. i think all of us love to look bigger and buffer.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

You need to strengthen your core, back and abs mainly. Do deadlifts and back extensions and squats, but make sure you use good form. Have a trainer or someone who knows what they're doing check your form on Deads and Squats especially. Do some hanging leg raises and balance ball crunches for your abs. Get yourself to a physical therapist to learn more core strengthening exercises and proper execution. Also get to a chiropractor if you haven't already. Try to always sit up and stand up straight with your abs pulled tight. This will also help improve your core strength.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

It totally depends on the severity of your 'hunch' really. I recommend you see a Chiropractor to check out your spine etc. and get you going in the right direction.

Look in the mirror showing a side view of your body, and reach out your arms infront of you as far as they will go, standing as straight as you can. look at the curves in your spine here - you should be able to get the normal 'S' shape. If you cant, it might be that one of your vertebrae may be compressed or out of place in your neck causing the hunch. Get a chiro to check this.

If you do get this normal S shape, then your posture should be correctable either by reminding yourself to sit and stand straight at all times, or by using a posture vest and belt (that you should be able to purchase at your local pharmacy).

As drew says strengthening your core is essential too, this will help keep you upright. You should make sure your lower back and abs are balanced and then work on them evenly. Keep your direct lower back work light though, it can get very strong very easily.

wHaKdOuTgEmInI
    I see there was three replies, but when I click on the thread I don't see them.....dunno
    LuNaTiCtOcBoOm

wHaKdOuTgEmInI
    ah, there they are. Just had to post another I guess....my "hunch isn't severe, it's more of a rounded look. I don't have a trainer, I have home equipment. I just went out and bought a brand new olympic bench and bar a few weeks after getting rid of that P.O.S bench I had. I think deadlifts would help, just i need to know the correct form to make sure i don't phuck my back up. Thanks...Another thing is on leg day, i do squats but I have to remember to do them before anything else because after toe raises, extentions and what not I fall over when I do squats lol..I know what you mean about lower back getting strong and cut easy, I do my bent over rows and i see the lower back and mid back getting cut up. I haven't been doing back long...
    Last edited by PitVicious; 10-27-2003 at 01:59 PM.
    LuNaTiCtOcBoOm

wHaKdOuTgEmInI
    TTT
    LuNaTiCtOcBoOm

Wannabebig Member
    As someone who has had two corrective surgeries for severe scoliosis, I want to add my two cents worth. I used to walk hunched over due to an abnormally straight spine (no S shape) caused by my first surgery in 1982. I did have surgery in 2000 to correct it. The surgical technique freed the upper spine so it would take on a natural S shape over time. The best thing for helping that process was one of those ab balls. I know most guys on these boards think they are girlie but by doing different exercises on my ball - I now walk upright without always forcing it.

Plus, I have been able to do one set of 20 rep ATF squats on leg day for the past six weeks. It took me six months to train my core muscles to be able to do that and I still use a Smith with no weight on the bar. Talk about baby steps! The ab ball is what helped me do that. The Ball State Ex Science web site has good illustrations of all the types of squats. Except for the strict form generic squats, it says the other squat styles are contraindicated with people with spinal issues.

I would see a sports/ortho doc. He will make sure nothing is severely wrong and can prescribe either a PT or EP to work with you to help correct it. The spine is nothing to second guess. A good ortho doc will not jump to surgery.
    Last edited by rayk1029; 10-29-2003 at 08:31 AM.

wHaKdOuTgEmInI
    TTT
    LuNaTiCtOcBoOm

wHaKdOuTgEmInI
    I believe it. I just did the thing in the mirror with my arms all the way out. It's somewhat like an S shape, or a half assed S. I'm thinking that I might just have to get some muscles in my lower back to pop out to make it look a bit more filled out. I started doing crunches/situps for the time being and will continue. The curve might just be all in my head. My girlfriend thinks backs are supposed to be dead nuts straight or something. The problem is when I wear a semi tighter shirt I can definately tell my upper back sticks out more. Might be that I just hunch my shoulders. Being 24, I was in a roll over accident ( not the driver) and the doc told me I had a very minor case of arthritis from injuring my back a while ago. The only injury that I can think of is when I used to be a roof loader manualy loading 100's of squares of shingles per day, but I never injured my back. Some mornings when I wake up my back is sore. Probably because I use three pillows under my head and my back is not at all straight, even sleeping on my side.
    Last edited by PitVicious; 10-29-2003 at 09:29 PM.
    LuNaTiCtOcBoOm

Your back is not supposed to be dead straight - especially if you have some muscle on your back/neck. There is a natural curve from your neck to the start of your back, and then another curve in your lower back. It's a mild 'S'.

A bigger curve in your lower back than looks normal is called "Sway-back" posture. It's usually caused by weak abs compared to your lower back.

The wall test: when against a wall with your ankles around 6 inches away, you should have about 1-2 inches between your lower back and the wall, and about 2 inches between the middle of your neck an the wall.

A bit like this:

It sounds like you just need to keep sitting and standing straight, and keep doing your ab and back workouts.

I think you should go see an osteopath or chiropractor to ease your mind.

Edit: good article: http://www.adfpa.com/sports_medicine/hartle04.shtml
    Last edited by Exnor; 10-30-2003 at 07:41 AM.

By the way, your browser or ISP may cache pages which could result in you not seeing updated posts. To manually refresh the page in Internet Explorer press CTRL + F5. This should get you the latest page.

wHaKdOuTgEmInI
    thats why i bought a bench with a lumbar support
    LuNaTiCtOcBoOm