The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Ok for a new guy cardio and weights in the same workout or...

...one day weights and the next cardio? Oh yeah by the way I have some fat to lose.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you're going to do them both in the same day,make sure and do the weights first.

When I was cutting I usually did my cardio on off days, but that was just personal preference.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Well the reason I'm asking is because this trainer guy told me you will burn fat a lot faster if you do weights first because you have to burn "something or other" off before the fat goes. Still trainer guys don't always know what they are talking about. Like everything else you have good ones and bad ones so I thought I would ask you guys.

Originally posted by BSC14
    Still trainer guys don't always know what they are talking about. Like everything else you have good ones and bad ones so I thought I would ask you guys.
    Very true, but in this case, he's right.

What happens is when you lift the weights first, you're burning off glycogen, then after the glycogen is depleted, your body uses fat as an energy source.

Not only that, but you have more energy to lift heavier weights.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Saint Patrick

Very true, but in this case, he's right.

What happens is when you lift the weights first, you're burning off glycogen, then after the glycogen is depleted, your body uses fat as an energy source.

Not only that, but you have more energy to lift heavier weights.
    Thanks for the answers.

but i alyways thought doing cardio after weights would be catabolic.. maybe have your PW Shake After weights and then cardio? but IMO you should keep cardio on off days, and if you must do both on the same day then i would do cardio in the morning, say after breakfast, and then weights later in the afternoon or the night.

Originally posted by defcon
    but i alyways thought doing cardio after weights would be catabolic.. maybe have your PW Shake After weights and then cardio?

nah. If you did that, then your PWO shake would replenish your glycogen levels and then when you do the cardio, then you're just buring off glycogen for the first 20-30 mins instead of fat.

Just have the shake after the cardio and you'd be fine.

Grasshoppa
    Plus, in my experience, doing cardio before weight lifting makes me a bit more tired and tends to inhibit me from lifting effectively since I'm runnin low on energy.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

What about if you have a whey protein shake after workout, then cardio? but still, its best to space them both out and have proper pre/post nutrition for both

Re: Ok for a new guy cardio and weights in the same workout or...

Well the reason I'm asking is because this trainer guy told me you will burn fat a lot faster if you do weights first because you have to burn "something or other" off before the fat goes. Still trainer guys don't always know what they are talking about. Like everything else you have good ones and bad ones so I thought I would ask you guys.
    Your body uses a mixture of fat, glucose, and glycogen as fuel throughout lower intensity exercise. In portions of higher intensity exercise, nearly 100% of the fuel is glucose/glycogen. The proportions gradually change as duration or intensity changes. Note that you burn fat all day long, whether you have been exercising or not. When you are resting, the majority of your fuel usually comes from fat.

When glycogen stores decrease as the exercise continues, the body utilizes a larger portion of fat as fuel. Costill's studies of treadmill running at 65% VO2 max found fat oxidation accounted for 39% of the energy at the start of the exercise and 67% of the energy 2 hours later. Ahlborg found similar results of increasing fat usage when the exercise continued for 4 hours (at a lower intensity). One could expect a similar pattern if the cardio followed weightlifting, especially weightlifting using similar muscle groups.

Originally posted by defcon
    but i alyways thought doing cardio after weights would be catabolic.. maybe have your PW Shake After weights and then cardio? but IMO you should keep cardio on off days, and if you must do both on the same day then i would do cardio in the morning, say after breakfast, and then weights later in the afternoon or the night.
    During cardio the primary fuels are glucose/glycogen and fats. A small portion of energy comes from proteins, but this amount is usually insignificant. It usually only becomes significant when glycogen levels get very low. For the most part, the small amount of protein used comes from amino acid stores. If the stores are low or in certain other special situations, the body may catabolize muscle.

The risk of catabolism is dependent on exercise intensity, exercise duration, diet, when exercise is performed, and previous training, among other things:

The risk of catabolism is closely related to decreasing glycogen levels. Glycogen usage increases dramatically as intensity increases. It may take approximately 170 minutes to decrease muscle glycogen levels in half at 70% V02 max (moderate intensity endurance exercise), approximately 50 minutes at 85% V02 max (high intensity endurance execise), or 15 minutes at 150% V02 max (sprint portion of HIIT). These numbers come from The Lore of Running, by Noakes.

The size of the glycogen reserves is effected by diet and training. Glycogen reserves may be about 30% higher on a high (70%) carb diet than a moderate (45%) carb diet. Atheltic training increases the size even more. Under nearly complete glycogen depletion as might occur with a keto type diet, the risk of catabolism is very high. Under these extreme conditions, as much as 10% of the energy in a 1 hour cardio session may come from protein (amino acids reserve and muscle protein). There are certain other times where the risk is also high. First thing in the morning on an empty stomach, liver glycogen levels may be nearly empty. Muscle glycogen levels may be high, but the brain cannot use muscle glycogen. The body may use protein and/or muscle to make up for the low liver glycogen levels. The risk is also high after a weight training session since glycogen levels are lower.

Ok for a new guy cardio and weights in the same workout or one day weights and the next cardio? Oh yeah by the way I have some fat to lose.
    Doing longer sessions of cardio immediately before or after weights may interfere with your goals. Doing cardio before weights may leave you fatigued so that you can not perform to your best while weightlifting. This may hinder your progress. In addition, it is important to refuel your glycogen reserves following a longer cardio session. This helps improve recovery and helps prevent the protein in your muscles being broken down for energy.

I think doing cardio after weightlifting is better than doing it before. However, the cardio may hinder recovery and muscle gains by delaying the postworkout meal and leaving your body in catabolic state. In addition you may not be fatigued and not able to perform your best during the cardio, interfering with cardiovascular improvement, as well as burning fewer calories. One possible advantage to doing low intensity cardio following weighttraining, is you may have increased fat mobilization, so you burn a larger portion of fat from stuborn areas. There also may be increased fat burning during the activity. This does not mean you will lose more body fat. If you burn a larger portion of calories from fat during the cardio, then you usually burn a smaller portion of calories later in the day. Similarly if you burn a larger portion of calories from glycogen during the cardio, then you usually burn a larger portion of calories from fat later in the day.

The best solution depends on your goals, the exercise intesities, and the exercise durations. I would suggest separating longer amounts of cardio from weights by at least a few hours and a meal. It would be even better if you seperated it by 8-12 hours or did it on alternate days. I think a very short cardio warmup/cooldown before/after weights is fine. This helps reduce injury and may improve performance.
    Last edited by aka23; 10-25-2003 at 08:02 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I have always ran after doing upper body and swam after lower body and it never hurt my gains. The workout would last 30mins (20 sets) then run or swim for another 30 mins. So it is not an excessive amount of time.