The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Making progress!

Just for kicks today I decided to see what my bench has gone up to. I usually dont worry about 1 rep max's, to me they are just a number and I would rather judge my progress by what I see in the mirror. Anyway, I did 1 warmup set of 10 at 135. 1 set of 8 at 245. After that I had my partner just add some more weight w/o me knowing how much. I put up 285 with out too much stress so I think I may be able to hit 290 or so. Really helped the motivation to see that I am making good progress. I have been working out regularly for about 1 month. Just for reference I weigh 195lbs. Ohh well just needed a chance to brag! Back to work!!!!
    Rhoades

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well congrats on the progress.

Please tell me though, how is it that you can bench 285 after only 1 month of lifting? Do you work a physical labor job, like construction?
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Or are you the superhuman offspring of Wonder Woman and the Six Million Dollar Man?

Originally posted by Saint Patrick

Please tell me though, how is it that you can bench 285 after only 1 month of lifting? Do you work a physical labor job, like construction?
    Actually physical labor doesn't work the chest too much, I've done lots of construction work over the years and my bench isn't really phenomenal hehe. Alot of those guys you see who are big and work construction lifted weights at one point or another. I know lots of guys who "don't" workout and can bench 200-290lbs, but they worked out at some point or another in their lives.

However I don't know anyone who never having lifted before can just start lifting and bench 285lbs within a month lol. I'm assuming the original poster worked out before at some point in their lives, otherwise to be honest I don't see it happening hehe. Anyways grats, that's an awesome poundage to be lifting.

Edit - Little offtopic but I think one thing construction has done for me is build endurance. Also I think it's hard to get big just off construction work cause you are essentially overtraining, cause you are working the same muscles every single day, it sucks lol. You'll get bigger, but it will be slow and it will take a while.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 10-25-2003 at 08:15 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I used to work out quite a bit and then got too busy, now I make the time. Even when I wasnt working out I could still bench around 245 pretty easily. Plus I have always been pretty strong w/o working at it, lucky I guess. Worked out alot in High School though. I am a full time cop so I guess I have moments of physical labor but 99% is just sitting in a car!

i'm sure a good diet didn't hurt either(assuming you've had a good diet for a while).

Westside
    nice job on the bench. Ya u must be a pretty strong guy to just bench 245 right off the bat. wish it came that easy to me with my ****ty genetics.

Wannabebig Member
    I think the fact that I have alligator arms helps too. They are only about 9 inches long!! Seriously though I have short arms and I think that helps since I only have to move the weight about 13 inches!

Banned
    so uhh... i have these tickets you see? and....

Originally posted by Rhoades
    I think the fact that I have alligator arms helps too. They are only about 9 inches long!! Seriously though I have short arms and I think that helps since I only have to move the weight about 13 inches!
    Please tell me you have a measurement error here.

Wannabebig Member
    I was joking with the 9 inch comment. But seriously once I take a fairly wide grip on the bar (I use a wider grip for the heavy lifts) I really dont think I move the bar more then say 16 inches or so. Thr ROM with dumbells in much greater since I can get past my chest so I use those as much as barbell so I dont lose too much flexibility in my shoulders and become injury prone. Judging from some of the responses the progress is better then I thought!!! My new goal is to be able to press 3 45's on each side before the deployment is over!!!