Thread: Need help with a cutting diet...

Hybrid View

Westside

Need help with a cutting diet...

can anyone help me out wiht a cutting diet. Im looking to lose a good 15 pounds off myself. I am really not the familiar with how to go on a cutting diet so can someone explain it and what are some important things to keep in mind when cutting. Can u explain what types of foods i should be eating, how much weight i should be losing, should my workouts differ, and the percents of macronutrients i should be eating daily to keep as much muscle as possible while cuitting. Also some tips about losing fat, like whats the best type of cardio interval training or jogging. Thx guys ide aprecaite it

I dun have much time, got class :P but here is sum basics.. Find your maintanice cals and take 500 away from that.. wait a few weeks and make sur you lose apox 1-1.5 lbs/week ( any more then that and you risk losing muscle ) keep the protein high ( 1-1.2 g/lb ) and efa @ about 25-30% carbs will be lowered.. but i do not believe in keto type diets.. so i suggest you follow a kind of 40% pro 30% carb 30% fat diet.. with your carbs low gi @ breakfast, low gi as a meal before workout for energy, high gi ( dextrose ) in your p/w shake and low gi as a meal after your workout..
    this is what ive been doing and i find i still got energy to lift.. i actually went up 5 lbs in my bench and 15 in my squats so far this cut..

well i gotta go to class, sumone one else will fill in the details

I have posted this in numerous threads and should help in answering some of your questions.

Food choices:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/sho...ht=grocery+list

Here are some general dieting guidelines that might be of some help:
    1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight

2) 25-30% of daily calories should come from fat (Essential fatty
    acids making up most of this total)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with a quick digesting protein (whey protein).

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, chicken, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat bread, vegetables, fruit

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, olive oil

To find out how many cals you should be eating each day I would slowly decrease cals in small increments until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week (approximately 1lb per week is a good number IMO). You can use www.fitday.com to help you track calories if you like. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are eating 3000 cals and maintaining your weight then you would need to decrease cals by a small amount (about 200-300). That would put you at 2700 cals for the week. Keep cals at this level for the week and then weigh yourself at the end of the week and see how much weight you have lost. I woud weigh myself at the same time each week to try and ensure the most accurate measurement.

As far as routines go you might want to check out one of the WBB routines on the main page. The following site has a list of exercise illustrations that might be helpful as well www.exrx.net

Also some tips about losing fat, like whats the best type of cardio interval training or jogging.
    I think a combination of the two would be the best approach.

I would start out with 1or2 HIIT sessions per week, and then increase frequency from there. You do not want to overtrain your legs, which is a likely possibility when incorporating multiple HIIT sessions along with training your legs.

As far as training goes, I would stick with your current program for now, especially if you have been progressing.

Westside
    defcon and bradley thanx a lot guys.

I have heard how people that are cutting will threw in some days that they carb load. I dont know much about this but i heard it shocks the body and does something with ur metabolism. Anyone know anything about this.

Westside
    This is what i put in my journal on the cutting diet im going on.

Please critiqueOk ive decided that im going to go on a cutting diet. I am going to start off at 3000 calories a day of clean food and see how much i lose a week. My goal is to lose .5-1 11b. a week. I think im going to buy some cutting supplements but i dont know which one i should use. Any suggestions feel free to help me out. Im going to be eating 6 small meals a day and eating 1.2-1.5 protein per pound. Im going to to be decreasing my amount of carbs anywhere from 40-50% and eating 30% essential fatty acids. Right now i weight 170 and my goal is to get down to 155 by 2 months. Im going to have a few cheat days once and a while to try to shock my metabolism a little but i wont have too many of these days. Im going to slowely throw in some cardio 3 times a week and work up to 5 days a week. Im going to be doing some jogging,springinting,interval training,boxing and maybe some walking. Im looking forward to this cut.

If anyone can help me out with some suggestions or ideas ide apreciate it thx.

I do not think you really need any "cutting" supplements right now, and the plan you have outlined above should work fine. Just stick with the basic supplements such as multi-vitamin, protein powder, and maybe a pre/post workout carb source such as dextrose or maltodextrin.

Westside
    thanx bradley appreciate the help