The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Is dextrose a must?

If yes, why?

I usually take my protein shake with a banana .....

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banana's contain fructose, and you really don't want that post workout. If you refuse to use dextrose for some odd reason, You'd be better off eating white bread or some other high GI food.

Dextrose is way cheap, why not use it?
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

The sugar in a banana is about half glucose and half fructose. The point of dextrose is to replace muscle glycogen, but fructose preferentially refills liver glycogen instead.

Everything I know I learnt from bradley.

Country Boy
    I've been wondering this myself.Since my blood sugar spikes into the 400/500's when I take in any simple sugar; I'm forced to give myself an extra Insulin {Humulin R} shot a day.Lately I've been taking the whey alone.Am I still getting the needed protein or is it going to waste?
    Fight like Hell
    Never Give Up

Originally posted by APE.
    I've been wondering this myself.Since my blood sugar spikes into the 400/500's when I take in any simple sugar; I'm forced to give myself an extra Insulin {Humulin R} shot a day.Lately I've been taking the whey alone.Am I still getting the needed protein or is it going to waste?
    You are still getting some amino acids from the whey, so it is not going to waste, although you would convert more to glucose, as compared to consuming whey+carbs.

You can use lower GI carbs with your post workout shake, which would work just fine, but they just will not refill muscle glycogen as fast as dextrose. Just make sure that you are taking in enough carbs post workout, and not so much about the type of carb consumed.

Originally posted by TheGimp
    The sugar in a banana is about half glucose and half fructose.
    The amount of glucose and fructose contained in a banana can vary, since a more ripe banana will contain more simple sugars, hence the reason that ripe bananas are sweeter than green ones.

If I had to pick a fruit to consume post workout, a banana would be my first choice. You could also use other whole foods such as white rice, bagels, white bread, etc. in place of dextrose.

your blood glucose level hits 500? Damn, when working as an EMT we've had people need hospitalization at 500-600.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6

is gatorade powder alright? i know its not optimal, but its better than everything but dex or malto...right?

Country Boy
    Originally posted by theomen
    your blood glucose level hits 500? Damn, when working as an EMT we've had people need hospitalization at 500-600.
    I don't really feel terrible when it hits that high.Just kinda flushed.
    It's been higher before also.My lil' home monitor has just said "HI". so I don't know what it is when it hits that{just above 500 I know}.I just go in and get my levels checked.

Originally posted by greekboy80
    is gatorade powder alright? i know its not optimal, but its better than everything but dex or malto...right?
    Sure it will work, but it would be helpful to know the amount of sucrose that the product contains, since it is the first ingredient listed. I have not been able to find this information listed anywhere.

You could also use other whole foods, such as the ones I mentioned above, or Smarties candy which are primarily dextrose.

gotcha........thanks

I use oats, and I prefer it over any refined suger. I actually prefer to take in lower Gi. I get too many craving from any suger, that is why I would rather eat an apple or throw some berries with my oats. You'll get enough of an insulin response from the whey, the oats just provide you muscles with glucose.
    Last edited by AJ_11; 10-29-2003 at 06:48 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    thats what i do AJ-11 coz if i take in any dextrose , i start craving sugar , and all goes to hell after that,, oats keeep me sane,, but if you can prevent that from happening go for the dextrose/maltodextrin,, itll refill muscle glycogen much quicker and theres no chance for fat storage while insulin is spiked post workout in some cases up to 4 hours
    so go for it

Originally posted by Newby81
    theres no chance for fat storage while insulin is spiked post workout in some cases up to 4 hours
    so go for it
    Do you have any references for the above statement? Thanks in advance.

Grasshoppa
    If your sweet tooth has a craving, go buy some of those zero carb jell-o packs. It has like 1 gram of protein and that's about it, hehe.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Bannana is a v low gi so its not very good.

Some good suggestions for high gi food to spike insulin are:

Honey, White bread,sweetend cereal (depends on brand) baked potato and my favourite watermelon. Although i have dextose tablets which are quite nice.
    Find out about me : Andy Palmer
    Check out my : Bodybuilding Weblog

Originally posted by Andy P
    Bannana is a v low gi so its not very good.
    The above statement is not quite accurate, since bananas will vary as far as the GI is concerned. The more ripe a banana is, the higher it will be on the GI, due to the increased amount of simple sugars found in ripe bananas.

I think ripe bananas are a good choice for post workout carbs.

Some good suggestions for high gi food to spike insulin are:

Honey, White bread,sweetend cereal (depends on brand) baked potato and my favourite watermelon. Although i have dextose tablets which are quite nice.
    Most of the foods you mentioned above contain a fair amount of fructose when compared to the glucose content, with the exception of white bread.

Originally posted by bradley

Sure it will work, but it would be helpful to know the amount of sucrose that the product contains, since it is the first ingredient listed. I have not been able to find this information listed anywhere.

You could also use other whole foods, such as the ones I mentioned above, or Smarties candy which are primarily dextrose.
    Powdered Powerade has Dextrose listed first....and it was in the bargain bin. So it may be good alternative if you can get it near you.

Smarties are ace also
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.