Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LeBron's Debut

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar

LeBron's Debut

I give a careful thumbs up to LeBron James. Scored 25. Kings played shody defense. I'm witholding judgement for now.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Im impressed. He proved he wasnt *all* hype. For a rookie, he's doing well. Does this mean he's the next great? Can't tell. His numbers are a bit skewed. Sure he scored 25 points in his debut. But if you made any number of players the goto guy on a team like the cavs, they would likely score 25 too. Im with saturday on withholding till later.

I think he'll do well in the league. He has a great awareness on the court and is a great passer. I think that's going to be a big asset for the Cavs. He's very generous with the ball. Not what's usually expected when the world hypes up an 18 year old kid. It usually goes to their head and you end up with a ball hog, *cough*Iverson*cough*. Ahem, had to clear my throat.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Wannabebig Member
    **Cough**Iverson got 11 assists against the Heat the other night and has always averaged over 5 assists. I think.**Cough**Sneeze**

Man I must be coming down with somthing
    "pain is weakness leaving the body"

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    LOL
    AI does need some work on his shot selection but I understand why he takes the shots he does...
    w00t

Philly was built so AI could take 30 shots per game. We'll see how he does now that a legit 2nd scorer is there in glenn Robinson. Robinson isn't a great teammate but 3 teams in 3 seasons should tell him to straighten up.

Regarding King James, I love his game. Did you check out his entire stat line? He had 25 points on 12 of 20 shooting, 9 assists, 6 boards, and 4 steals. On top of that, he only had 2 turnovers. Unbelievable.
    A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

res firma mitescere nescit

only two turnovers? how many calories is that?

I win.
    MJ only scored 16 points his first game. That was after 3 years of college ball.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah but he finished the season averaging 28+ points plus it was a tougher league back then.
    "pain is weakness leaving the body"

I think Iverson is too hyped up. Anybody can score 30 points a game if they take 30 shots. His shooting percentage is lower than most other guys in the leage averageing around what he is. I will give him credit, he puts his body on the line every night like no other, but I'm not overly impressed with his scoring.

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Save the MJ comparisions for later

You really think the league back then is better then the current state of affairs?
    w00t

Originally posted by GonePostal
    Save the MJ comparisions for later

You really think the league back then is better then the current state of affairs?
    Overall I'd say 'yes', but only because there were more run n' gun teams then, plus more interesting "characters"/stars.

I'd say the rules are more favorable NOW, for the style of play they USED to employ in the early/mid 80's. Nowadays, you really only see Dallas doing it on a consistent basis.

This thing with Kobe is damaging, even if he's proven innocent.

LeBron is a step in the right direction.

LeBron DRAWS people to him, including players, viewers, fans, etc.

It's easier to admire someone's style, when they score 20+ points *in spite* of their selfless-ness, and pass-first mentality.

I admire that in a player moreso than a genetic freak like Iverson.

Jordan was a shooting guard who shot over 50%......that's freaking amazing, especially for someone who was so CLEARLY defined as his team's top scorer. Driving the lane so often obviously helped that.

Iverson, on the other hand, shoots considerably UNDER 50%, in spite of all of his layups. Not good.

If you're gonna be a ball-hog, you'd best sink those shots. Maybe "Ivo" will turn it around this year......

i actualy played against lebron, and hes court awareness is unbelevable. he is a very unselfish player,and he seems to play the game with ease(if that makes sence to anyone). he can jump out of the gym, trust me i know he dunked one on me, lol. i wasnt thinking he would do to great once he reached the NBA becouse he was a man playing against highschool boys, but hes done well. he is a great player, but nobody deservies this much hype.
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Did you play against him in school or at some pick up game??? Need the details. Oh yeah and how long ago

i played against lebron in highschool my senior year so it would of been his junior year. hes a realy cool kid, he got to hang out durning the JV game for a little bit. i held my own with 12 points and 5 rebounds.are team was only down by 8 at half time but ended up loseing by15 or so.
    Last edited by mikey4402; 10-31-2003 at 12:58 AM.
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Originally posted by Tim Nissen
    I think Iverson is too hyped up. Anybody can score 30 points a game if they take 30 shots. His shooting percentage is lower than most other guys in the leage averageing around what he is. I will give him credit, he puts his body on the line every night like no other, but I'm not overly impressed with his scoring.
    lol he's 6'0 barely, and 165 pounds. please don't take credit from AI hes a world class athlete..

and as for james.. yeah hes sick i told yall.. but i still think wade is better, although james did put down better numbers

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    no way WADE?
    He was good on marquette but no way better then james/carmelo. Well that's my take on it. One of the rookies that you are overlooking right now is BOSH! Been throwing down some decent numbers on the Raptors. So has VINCE! Air Canada is back.
    w00t

wade is sick son.. he threw up 18 on iverson.. first game.. kid is talented

Originally posted by RuLess
    lol he's 6'0 barely, and 165 pounds. please don't take credit from AI hes a world class athlete.
    Being a world-class athlete doesn't make you a world-class basketball player.

Just ask Kenny Walker, Sleepy Floyd, Fat Lever, etc.

In the end, if you don't know how to play a "team game", you're screwed. There are plenty of guys with 50" verticals who won't sniff an NBA floor.

Really now, Iverson could take Isiah Thomas to the hole any time he wanted, yet Isiah could do the same (in spite of being "less quick"), yet who led his team to two titles???

And *maybe* the greatest season ever as a point guard???

20+ pts., 13+ assists, 2+ steals, etc.

Answer: Isiah.

Iverson simply doesn't "get it". Shooting that low of a percentage, in spite of his layups, is just NOT going to cut it.

Not unless he continues his (slow) progression towards passing.

Iverson is sickeningly talented, but many of the decisions he makes are nothing less than painful to the human eye. tuttut

Sorry.

man 4.3 40 yard dash, and a all state qb. he's a world class athlete def. and as a guard.. there hasn't been one his size that puts down his numbers, sure he shoots a lot but you shoot 50 shots.. and make 25 of em..

peace

there hasn't been one his size that puts down his numbers
    If you mean the number of stupid shots he takes and missed shots, then yeah, there's not one that puts down his numbers.

sure he shoots a lot but you shoot 50 shots.. and make 25 of em..
    What are you getting at? AI doesn't even do that. He's more around the 20 for 50 range. Any guy in the NBA can take 30 shots a game and end up with 30 points. The problem with AI is that he makes stupid decisions and isn't the best team player out there. I watched him tonight against the Kings and saw him brick a couple of 3's. Air balled one completely. And there was no reason to take the shot. Oh yeah, Jackson drained one so AI thought he'd return the favor...but he missed.

It's not that AI isn't talented. No body is discrediting that. But there are plenty of "talented" ball players in every sport that ride the pine because they lack team skills and the ablity to make good decisions while in the game. His shot selection and decision making on the court isn't what it should be for somebody that's considered the team leader.
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 11-01-2003 at 02:17 AM.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    AI played great on the national team, when he had a talented team to pass to. Tonight he made a lot of nice passes, but his teammates couldnt finish. Thats why he has to take 30 shots a night. If AI had a better supporting cast, he would have a better shot selection and would get a lot more assists.

That said, I dont like AI's game, never have. I think he needs to make smarter decisions, though I admit it isnt easy with what he's working with.

exactly.. if he had some one his team.. there would be some1 to pass to but he always comes up wid 6-7 assits.. don't say hes not a team player without a team...

Westside
    mikey4402 how did lebron do against your team when you played vs him.

lebron scored 35 on us.. and we won the div 1 state championship.. and ranked top 10 nationally pre season..