The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

sorness from weight lifting

I'm a begginer and find myself very sore after my last weeks excersises with the upper body and lower body. I can walk but its really sore and tomorrow is my day to do lower body again. should I do it being pretty sore still, or is the 3 day rest good enough?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Try having 7 days rest before you work the same muscles again. That should help with the soreness.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

the same

i get this soreness sometimes. just rest until it has gone

Simplistic
    I make it a rule to never work a bodypart if it's still sore from the last workout, but if you are working each bodypsrt once a week you should rarely have this problem. So I would say wait till the soreness is gone before you do lower body again.

From my experience, the longer you wait, the sorer you will be after your next workout. Try working out the same body part 3 times a week and it will rarely get sore. Once every seven days though and you will be sore after every workout. Just my experience.

I'd say don't train a bodypart if it is sore. At most 2 times a week depending on the routine and the level that a person is in their training.

Marshall, I'm curious to see what kind of routine you are doing, and the gains that you have made with a routine where you train each bodypart 3 times a week...

Yeah I think its good overall advice to definitely NOT train a muscle group if its sore.

Syntekz,

Actually, I use a 3 day split, training each body part only once per week. I've seen some decent gains using this program. I'm currently 29yo 5'11" 190lbs -- nothing huge, but I;ve only been back in the gym about 9mo, coming from about 170lbs.

However, when I was 18 and started lifting (I know, I know - I was young) I used to work out 6 days a week alternating upper and lower body each day or push then pull w/legs each day followed by an hour of super intense cardio. 3 hours in the gym a day! I was kind of obsessed.

I never once got sore on that routine, and I have read (some study) that the soreness one feels can be the result of working out too infrequently, and that a once a week split actually allows the muscle to begin to atrophy somewhat. It also said that working the muscle while sore is actually fine, and can help alleviate the "pain". I don't know how accurate this study is, but my personal experience seems to have mirrored what it is saying -- including working out while sore, and then noticing the soreness dissappear. Typically though, I would wait until the soreness is gone before training again.

The interesting thing is that these days, I feel more like I'm taxing my body more with my current routine than my crazy "overtraining" method of a decade ago. My endurance is shot to hell too and I'm barely able to make it through a one hour workout now, let alone trying the three hour ones I used to undertake. Sometimes after a set of heavy dumbell presses, I'm ready to die. You know what I mean?

And, even though I'm 190 now (fairly lean - I have abs) I was only about 170 then. But, people used to comment more on my body then. Relatives would give me the "you're getting too big" speech. Now, people say things like "do you belong to a gym?". So it's not obvious unless my shirt is off -- maybe not even then too!! :-). Maybe it's because 10 years ago nobody worked out at all and now, everyone does, so the nothing-freaky, fitness-model physique looks like the "average" man to many people. Who knows.

I just might try that crazy routine one day again!

hey, awesome post marshall. the workout shift I'm doing is a 6 day alternating between, weight lifting and fitness training. monday and friday (upper body), tuesday, thursday and saturday (20 min aerobic workout with bike), wednesday is just lower body; then the next week the upper and lower body rotate so I do just one upper body and two lower body. I'm doing this for 12 weeks.

Someone

Simplistic
    Marshall- The only time soreness comes a determining factor in my training is if I'm still sore from a previous workout I will take an extra day or two off until it passes. If you feel soreness every time you workout as I sometimes feel in my chest that doesn't mean you are training to infrequently. The determining factor in your training should be whether you are progressing or not. Yes sometimes my chest will always be sore after a workout but as long as I am lifting more on my next chest day than I know it is working. If you feel you are undertraining by only training body parts once a week than I would recommend adjusting intensity and/or volume. I think training a bodypart more than once a week is bad advice for a newbie and I just don't want anybody to get the wrong idea. This is the type of stuff the mags push. I always use the theory when in doubt do less not more.

Well, speaking of soreness, my chest is tender to the touch today. Just poking it hurts.

Anyway, I just wanted to add one more thing. When I was doing those crazy volume workouts of old, I alwasy felt like I was getting bigger every workout. I used to feel super pumped after a workout, and then it would just carry for a 48hrs and then I re-pumped that pump. So, if this is making any sense, I literally felt bigger after every workout (I know, youth again). But now, much of the time I wake up feeling smaller the next day -- and sore as hell the day after that! It's that delayed muscle soreness thing.