Thread: How to increase my bench?

Wannabebig Member

How to increase my bench?

I know this is not an very intelligent question but I'm still asking it as I'm wondering really. All the **** information i found on the net and most magazines don't work. Is there a foolproof way to increase my bench? My bench ain't too good at all, for starters. Been working out about 5 months its been stuck for 3 months already... Chest is not growing too much also.... I want all your suggestions and comments

The bar should come down to the mid-chest or lower part? What the difference in both, which one hits more of the upper chest?
    Last edited by sockjordan; 10-30-2003 at 10:23 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    You might need to give a little more info, like what kind of workouts you've been doing. Here's what I just did, and it's been working pretty well, you might think about giving it a try. I dropped the weight down to wear I could do sets of 8-6-4. Then the next time I'd try to do 9-7-5, then 10-8-6, etc. until I could do 12 reps on the first set. Then I'd bump the weight up five pounds and start over. It's kinda slow going, especially if you only bench once a week, but it helped to see I was making progress (either another rep or 5 more lbs) every time. Good luck.

My bench went up 15kg last month since I started doing squats in the gym which meant I was squatting to my maximum. My bench press weight is exactly the same as my squat weight and they have both progressed at the same time during the last month i.e. both increased 2.5kg each week. Although this week neither improved but I can't hope to improve every single week.

I have also been getting 2 plates at school dinner time as well and I finds eating much more has helped despite everyone calling me a fat bastard lol.

at 6 foot 1 inches what weight should I be aiming for? I am 13st 3 lb I think that is about 82kg is that heavy for my size or not?

Technique helps alot I think. Basically when you lift, tighten every muscle in your body, squeeze your glutes, abs, make your body "tight", squeeze the bar like you are strangling some guy who raped your mother.

Also if you are working purely for strength, I think it is common knowledge that the best way to improve it is to lift heavy and often without burning yourself out. This can mean benching 3x a week or more depending on your goals and how you are lifting.

The rep range for strength should be low, do lots of sets within the 1-6 rep range, in essence you are training the CNS. Personally I mix it up, I do heavy sets one day, light sets another day, or both heavy and light sets on the same day. Try training instinctively without a set routine for a while, that's really important I think, and maybe within that variation you will find something that works for you. Lift heavy and hard, goodluck.

Wannabebig Member
    6 feet 1 inch 82 kg if your BF is around 15% is normal, i think.

I think my BF is around 12 to 13 - I can see roughly 6 abs in the mirror when i flex.

Dedicated: Do not play mother father ok

I'm not working out purely for strength literally, I hope to grow more type 2B fibres that is, to get a higher percentage of that than type1. I want to be strong with mininal growth. But that does not means I dont want to get more bigger, a little at least.

You're saying I should not bench till failure right? And do that often? WHat's CNS?
    I heard TUT is important so the opposite of a normal workout which is a moderate set moderate rep once-a-week-workout is doing more sets with low reps. Questions is how many sets and reps should i be doing? TUT for both should be about the same, only diff is more weight is lifted cool.
    I agree with you that training instinctively is better.
    Last edited by sockjordan; 10-31-2003 at 08:52 PM.

CNS=Central Nervous System
    A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

res firma mitescere nescit

Originally posted by sockjordan
    6 feet 1 inch 82 kg if your BF is around 15% is normal, i think.

I think my BF is around 12 to 13 - I can see roughly 6 abs in the mirror when i flex.

Dedicated: Do not play mother father ok

I'm not working out purely for strength literally, I hope to grow more type 2B fibres that is, to get a higher percentage of that than type1. I want to be strong with mininal growth. But that does not means I dont want to get more bigger, a little at least.

You're saying I should not bench till failure right? And do that often? WHat's CNS?
    I heard TUT is important so the opposite of a normal workout which is a moderate set moderate rep once-a-week-workout is doing more sets with low reps. Questions is how many sets and reps should i be doing? TUT for both should be about the same, only diff is more weight is lifted cool.
    I agree with you that training instinctively is better.
    Unless your going to be competing at the pro level, I seriously doubt you need to worry about such technical things as growing more type 2b fibers than type 1. Just concentrate on the basics until you have those down.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Id look into the MM method.

Whats your routine look like? I have spoke with pretty much every guy who has ever attempted 800 pounds on the bench, including Scot who holds the WR with 875.23 lbs. (might i add is 308 pounds with 11%bf)

Sometimes its not a matter of dedication or a matter of what your doing, but a matter of weak points and strong points. Where in the bench are you failing now what can you do to target this? Are you increaseing progressivly with your loads or are you staying at the same weight? How long have you done this routine? What sets do you use? Whats your bench frequency? and when was the last time you took a break?

Kc

Woah 875lbs is crazy. That is just so much weight lol.

I agree with Fortified. If you are looking to increase bench, you have to break it down. It's possible your tri's are weak, shoulders are weak, or maybe your grip is not where it should be. Bench form could be bad as well, meaning how you are positioning yourself on the bench. I'd worry more about that stuff, than rep/set #'s.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

what about how wide you position you hands on the bar? I sometimes mix it up and i feel different strain.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

A few points:

1. Are you eating enough/correctly to give your body protein to grow?

2. JTyrell710 also has a good point.
    Swtich the grips up and do incline/decline for more variety.
    This gives "shock" to your muscles.

"Whats your routine look like? I have spoke with pretty much every guy who has ever attempted 800 pounds on the bench, including Scot who holds the WR with 875.23 lbs"
    HOLY SHIZZLE!!!!

Yeah.. it helps to switch things up.. and just make sure you eat! like everyone else said.. the gains will come if you work hard at it.

Do 3 Rep sets, i did them from the time my football season ended for about 6 months, my results went from benching 280 lbs, to 360 lbs, and i gained about 3 lbs, this was doing 3 rep sets for everything
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

Just cuz 3 reps works for you do not have anything to do with what would work for him

sockjordan, if you are not happy with your results as of right now, do a different number of set/reps and see if this new combo workds better for YOU, if not then try sumthing else.. just give everything time.. nothing comes fast in BB