Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weightlifting Lifestyle in the Corpoarte world

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity

Weightlifting Lifestyle in the Corpoarte world

Hey guys, I havent been as much of an active member lately due to the fact that I am now in my last semster of college. I just started job searching, which was a stupid idea (to wait this long) since I graduate in 5 weeks time. I've actively applied to one firm so far and that is Enterprise Rent-A-Car. I have 3 family members that have worked there in the past and loved it. This is all skirting the issue though.

This question is for those of you in corporate/business positions. If I were to get hired at ERAP I would be working 11 hr days on my feet selling and moving around. How the hell does one balance out a bodybuilding lifestyle with this type of job? I can't eat every 2-3 hours there. I would be in a management training position and I'd be working my ass off.

Oh and as a last note, any of you in the NC area with solid professional jobs, feel free to hook me up or show my resume to someone of power in your company
    Last edited by JustinASU; 11-01-2003 at 07:43 PM.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

It is not that hard. You have to get breaks and lunch so it works out great. You have to get a break after 2 1/2 hours of work. You also by law have to get 1/2 break after 5 hours of work. Enterprise is not a sweatshop so you will be able to take your breaks.

For example, I eat breakfast before I go to work around 8:00 am.

I start work at 9:00 am

Take a break around 11:00 am and have a quick shake or snack

Got to Lunch around 1:00 pm

Take another break at 4:00 pm and have a shake again or snack

Get out of work around 6:00 pm and have a quick meal before leaving for home or when I get home.

Go to the gym around 7:00 pm

Get home and have final meal around 9:00 pm.

Your routine is virtually exactly the same as mine harryhoudini66.

Yeah, having a full time job and going to the gym as usual seems almost impossible at first, but its not that bad once you get into it. But damn, it certainly takes your time up You learn to appreciate the weekend/free time more.

Banned
    well, I'm a suit... but I've been a suit for a number of years now so I may have access to more 'perks' than you will, at least to start.

Anyway, my solution is basically: "Come early, stay late, take a long lunch."

You may have to spring for protein bars and prep protein shakes so you have something you can fire down in moments if needed. Remember, Arnold hid weights in his tank when he was in the army so he could train. You will always be able to find a way to keep up your training -- you just have to look harder sometimes.

Originally posted by Callahan
    Remember, Arnold hid weights in his tank when he was in the army so he could train.
    lol where did you read that?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Banned
    Originally posted by NDBeast

lol where did you read that?
    in his Encyclopedia

even if it is apocryphal, it underscores the point that there is ALWAYS a way to find time/means to train.

I've never had trouble doing it.

There is almost always time to scarf down a sandwich or heat up some leftovers - worst case you rely on shakes and bars for quick meals.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

ditto....I've worked in 5 of the largest pharmacutical companies in the world over the alst few years and have never had anyone look twice at me as I take 3-5 meal breaks a day.
    Eat at your desk while your looking over papers and nobody will think twice of it.

I've just told my boss, this is my lifestyle and I'm not going to change it for anyone. I'll work while I'm eating, but I will be eating 4-5 times a day while at work. He's got no problems with that.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I have breakfast at about 8am, then at 11am I have my first lunch, then at 3pm I have my second lunch, I eat at my desk by the way. Then I have a protein shake at about 6pm, goto the gym and then have dinner and have another protein shake before I goto bed.
    Thats 6 meals if a protein shake counts as a meal!

I have 3 jobs, 1 fulltime, 2 parttime (don't ask), and I still get in my time at the gym. Weekdays it's in the early morning, and weekends it's usually around 11am. Summertime I only have 2 jobs (the 2 part time ones) so I go in the afternoon, around 4-6pm.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Originally posted by Trent_Steel
    I have breakfast at about 8am, then at 11am I have my first lunch, then at 3pm I have my second lunch, I eat at my desk by the way. Then I have a protein shake at about 6pm, goto the gym and then have dinner and have another protein shake before I goto bed.
    Thats 6 meals if a protein shake counts as a meal!
    what about tea time

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    These are all good suggestions BUT I will be working 11 hours on my feet. The whole idea of a desk or looking over papers is kinda out. Also 11 hours is tough to do and train and eat...I used to be that guy who said there's always a way to do it but now, with the implications of this job it seems a bit more difficult to do so.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

You will find that you can adjust as you go. Opportunities will make themselves available as you learn the ropes of what you can and cannot do. The first few weeks figure out what is possible and don't sweat it. The break might be good for you anyway.

I tend to eat alot of protein bars and shakes just for the convenience. I also tended to workout alot at first later at night or first thing in the morning. As I got use to the possiblities, I've added in longer lunch breaks but it doesn't always work. You could also make use of the weekend as two of your regular workout days. That way depending on your routine, you can fit in two more during the week.

Just some suggestions.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

I can't imagine any job that is rush rush rush for 11 straight hours without being able to take a 2 minute break to snarf on some grubbage.

I have a friend who is a nurse though, and she says she doesn't even get pee breaks, but then she always tells me about all the time she spends BS with patients and stuff....(right here I wanna insert one of those eye rolling little faces!)

I don't think you will have a problem eating. Just bring stuff you can eat on the go. No one has ever said anything to me. Couple jokes about eating all the time. I don't bother to tell people why. They can see I am not fat.
    Training is a problem for me, more motivation. So I do shorter work outs this way I more motivated to do it. If you got a long grueling wo its going to be hard to find the motivation to wo.
    Also wo out on the weekends.
    Do you really want to work 11 hours a day? I put in long days but its travel time. I wouldn't want to work for a company that required that much time routinely.

Justin is this your first job? If anything corporate jobs have more perks then others and even the others get their breaks. You have to by law get breaks. Now the frequency and length can vary from employer. Also, employers have to make their jobs appealing to others and working 11 hours straight with no breaks does not sound appealing. In my job we work very closely with Enterprise and I have never heard of them being so demanding.

When I worked in a branch, I would also take my breaks, but sometimes the hunger hit me so hard I would sneak in to the bathroom and down a power bar real quick. Even that was unnecessary because my break would be 15-20 minutes away. I just did not have the patience or was too hungry.

Anyways, there is always a way. Donít give up on what is or is not possible if you have not even started yet. Most corporate jobs also have times when one gets to BS. Also, I think you mentioned being in management. Man that alone will also get you the time you need.

What days will you be working where you will be pulling 11 hour shifts. You best bet will be to move your training around accordingly.

For the diet, there's bound to be a place you can sit a protein shake down somewhere and sip on that in between. What about restroom breaks? If you've got time to go to the bathroom you've got time to pound down a quick shake and/or protein bar.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Originally posted by JustinASU
    These are all good suggestions BUT I will be working 11 hours on my feet. The whole idea of a desk or looking over papers is kinda out. Also 11 hours is tough to do and train and eat...I used to be that guy who said there's always a way to do it but now, with the implications of this job it seems a bit more difficult to do so.
    Stick a belly bag around your waist fill it with protein bars. Have a plastic bag full of protein bars near the water cooler. I keep a jug of mrp or protein at my desk. You could keep one in some sort of common area. You will be fine. No company will monopolize your time so much that you cannot ingest liquids on a regular basis.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    ****, I used to be a printer at a photo lab and I'd eat while printing. I'd eat 5 times a day, sandwiches, while printing pictures of your ugly baby or your totally non-creative horribly composed vacation shots.

Then I'd work out after work, or before, because the gym was downstairs. Blammo.

11 hours!!, you americans work to hard, lesiure time is important too.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    We have to work hard.

How else can we afford our guns and cowboy hats?
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
    We have to work hard.

How else can we afford our guns and cowboy hats?
    And Pickup trucks.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Banned
    Originally posted by Trent_Steel
    11 hours!!, you americans work to hard, lesiure time is important too.
    that sounds like commie pinko propaganda to me!

work harder! We must defeat the red threat!

Originally posted by Callahan

that sounds like commie pinko propaganda to me!

work harder! We must defeat the red threat!
    *LOL* the appropriate brainwashed worker bee response...