Thread: Please analyze my workout, I'm new to lifting.

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Please analyze my workout, I'm new to lifting.

Hiya.. my first post here.

I'm 5'11" and weigh 175 lbs. I've gained 10 lbs in the last 2 months thanks to working out/eating/protein shakes.

I've mostly been working out my upper body/back/arms.. once I'm happy with my upper-body I start working on my legs.

Here's my workout:

Monday: (Push day)

3 sets of 40 lb dumbells seated military press 8-8-8
    3 sets of 40 lb dumbells incline press 8-8-8
    3/4 sets of 55 lb dumbells flat bench 8-6-6-4

3 sets of one-arm tricep extensions (behind the my neck, straight up) with 20 lb dumbells. 8-8-6

3 sets of tricep pulldowns with my weider crossbow 10-8-8

Tuesday: off day

Wednesday: (Pull day)

3 sets of rows with weider crossbow (not sure of weight, just set it to good resistance) 8-8-6

3 sets of lat pulldowns with weider crossbow (again, not sure of weight) 8-8-8

3 sets of 40 lb dumbell bent rows 8-8-8 (sometimes 6 with left arm on last set)

3 sets of 25 lb dumbell curls 10-8-8

Thursday: off day

Friday: (repeat monday and continue routine every-other day)

Also, 1 hour after every workout, I drink a GNC whey-protein shake with 1% milk) I eat well and take GNC mega-men vitamins.

my goals: Nice broad back, bigger chest, bigger arms, bigger forearms, maybe another 15-25 lbs of weight.

tools of the trade: (no barbells) (1) 15 lb dumbell, (2) 20 lb dumbells, (2) 40 lb dumbells, (2) 55 lb dumbells, Weider Crossbow system.

any advice/suggestions?
    Last edited by Gren; 11-02-2003 at 06:21 PM.

If you want "Nice broad back, bigger chest, bigger arms, bigger forearms, maybe another 15-25 lbs of weight."
    (1) You need to work your legs.
    (2) You need to work your core.

With your dumbbells you can do squats, deads, lunges, cleans, standing presses, snatches and more. Start doing them and you might-could gain some muscle mass.

Also, get bigger dumbells. And a pullup bar.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig New Member
    am I resting too much in between workouts?

and if I work legs in, when can I fit that into my current schedule without letting too much time elapse between concentrated workouts?

for legs, I wouldn't mind doing deadlifts and squats... how heavy of dumbells should I get for those?

also.. when you say core.. 4 sets of 12 crunches (resisted) 2x a week? is that sufficient? or should I shoot for more?

and lastly... the pull up bar.. I do lat pull downs and rows.. not enuf?

I would do your push and pull workout once each week and add a leg day and a deadlift day. It sounds like you are making good progress so far, so these will help you continue.

A good schedule is something like:
    Mon: Legs
    Tue: Your Pull
    Wed: rest
    Thu: Your Push
    Fri: Deads

As for exercises:
    Leg day: squats, lunges, pistols, SLDL, etc.
    Dead day: Deadlifts, shrugs, farmers walks, cleans, etc.
    All of these are pretty good compound exercises are all well suited for gaining mass, especially if you're using heavy weight. Perhaps you'll want to get a barbell or bigger DBs to keep them challenging.

Make sure you understand proper form before you do anything difficult like deads or especially cleans. Also, just drink your protein right after your workouts. Good luck!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

With the lack of equipment you have, you're really limiting your progress. My advice would be to join a gym, or purchase some more equipment for home
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock