The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kubotan

kubotan

For any of you martial artists out there, I bought my GF one of these things for her to carry around on her key chain, basically as a simple jab tool.

Do you know of other techniques simple enough to be usefull as self-defence?
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It actually takes a good bit of practice to use one effectively, and usually it involves getting much closer to an assailant than most women would like. She'd be better off getting somebody to demonstrate/instruct her properly, hand-to-hand combat is not something you learn on the internet. And while being able to fight back is good, fighting back ineffectively will just piss the person off.

Pepper spray is a better bet, IMO. Or, as I said, go find an expert with one of those things.

Best bet, really, is to buy her a chain whip and teach her how to use that.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 11-10-2003 at 01:05 PM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I got mine a retractable police baton and pepper spray. I think it works better.

Baretta 3032, or a Colt detective special .38

Mrs Stagg, of course, not being a scofflaw, carries mace.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I dont know any woman who carries self defence attributes

I don't need any weapons since my skeleton is made of pure anamatium and I have retractable claws.

Paul Stagg= Charles Bronson
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; 11-10-2003 at 01:31 PM.

My girlfriend has a "Kitty of Doom" on her keychain, which is essentially plastic brass-knuckles with 2 ear spikes to jab some dirty bastard's eyes out. She won't carry pepper spray, so it's an alternative I guess.

Me? Noooo.

I don't have a concealed carry permit, and I would NEVER violate a statute to protect myself. Clearly the government knows better than I just how dangerous that could be. I'll just trust that there will always be an armed representative of the state nearby if I ever need to defend myself using force.

(Luckily, 5'11" 225 pound angry men don't typically face situations where they become victims.)
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

i'm jsut prepared to flail, kick, and try to scratch.

in other words...i'm f*cked. thankfully i rarely get f*cked with.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    If your girlfriend uses that thing, she's going to get hurt, badly. She needs to be taught by a professional. And I don't mean some hokey self defense class where everyone wears huge padded suits and act everything out in super slow motion. I mean the kind of self defense classes where there is a good chance you'll get some bruises, but you'll learn to do things in a much more real environment.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Take her to the range a couple times a month and get her a snubnose .38.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Wannabebig New Member
    Get her a gun bro , I have a concealed weapon permit and I cant wait to "pop a cap in some ones a$$" . hahah just kidding .

Really get a handgun .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Wannabebig Member
    Here is the rule of thumb, dont cary it unless you are willing to have it taken from you and used against you. As for carring a handgun, real world situation-------you would never get it out in time. I bet you would get taken 9 out of 10 times. Its called the reactionary gap, try this put it in a holster like you would normally carry the weapon. Have someone stand 21 feet away and have them charge you. I bet you dont draw the gun and fire before they get to you. Now imagine they had a knife, you lose. If you choose to carry a weapon you should devote ALOT of time to weapon retention and drawing it the way you would carry it. I can go on forever about this but I will cut it short. Let me know if you have any ?'s!

Rhoades
    Ohh yeah I am a full time cop and did 6 years as a MP so I have SOME basis for knowledge.

Wannabebig New Member
    Here is my rule of thumb , I carry and if I know someone is coming chances are they would never get my pistol . If you dont know someone is coming most people are done anyway .

I'm a big cracker and I've been in worse situations than a lot of cops without my pistol .

The problem is people dont prepare well for those types of situations . Women can have purse holsters and have their hand in their purse ready to rock if they are in a odd situation ( alleys , parking ramps and such) . IMO women carrying with those types of holsters have the advantage over almost anyone . You dont know their hand is on some serious heat whereas mine is stuck under4 layers of clothes .

Knives are one of the best weapons around , you could stick someone 5 or 6 times before they knew what was happening .

Most people are morons and get their smack taken away because they are ill prepared to recognize a threat let alone know how to aviod one .

So the best rule of thumb is , carry only if you WILL prepare your self properly .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    The problem with your argument is that most people on the street aren't just going to kill you. They're going to mug you. That means they stand in front of you and demand your money. That gives you plenty of time to reach behind you like you're going for your wallet and then instead pull your gun.

Most criminals aren't willing to risk their lives. If they even SEE a gun, they'll run.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Well thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately it is pretty much impossible to carry a concealed weapon here in T.O.

The reason I got her this is because it is not very likely to be taken away from her(compared to oiher weapons), and in case it is, not likely to be used against her. Also, its on her keys so she would almost always have it with her in her hand. I really don't expect anything to happen to her, hopefully, but there have been some reported assaults on women in her area, so I though in any last ditch senario a quick jab with the thing might have some effect in an attack.

Would y'all agree or would she be better off with nothing? I am just wondering if jabbing with the thing is the best technique or if there's something else she could do with it.

I don't think she'll be taking any self-defence classes any time soon, possibly in the near future though.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    What the heck is kubotan????
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Originally posted by CanadianHomer
    What the heck is kubotan????
    Thats what I clicked on this thread to find out. lol
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Greetings.

My qualifications: I live in Toronto sometimes, doing university out of town.
    I have consulted with several knife vendors.
    I do MA and research that stuff online a bit.

Carrying a kabuton is apparently illegal according to the vendors.
    Maybe I should ask a policeman or lawyer.
    (I carry something similar to a kabuton around myself.)

Knives are even more illegal, with more penalties.
    No reason for normal citizens to carry one around unless it is for work. Like carrying a box cutter.

See if you can get some high quality pepper spray, I've also heard good things about extendables (don't be dirty) wands like ASP.

"What the heck is kubotan????"
    Try www.google.com my friend.

http://www.securityplanet.com/3101.htm

Read the info there.
    Go down towards to bottom for pics.

There are various models.

Based on what I've seen here on WBB Tryska, I'd think anyone who ****ed with you irl would be making a REALLY big mistake. I mean that in a good way. I'm not sure some idiot wants half of WBB to come down to Atlanta or wherever to beat the crap out of them either come to think about it.
    Last edited by Shroud; 11-10-2003 at 11:20 PM.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I like to get beat up by Tryska on a regular basis, following the religion of Gynoism.
    Last edited by Relentless; 11-11-2003 at 06:55 AM.

I'd have to agree with the snibnose .38
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Banned
    best thing you can do for her is to get her to train and improve her running speed/endurance

that, and the ability to deliver a solid knee to the attacker's scrotum will do her a lot more good than dicking around with some 'weapon' she's not trained with

*lol* shroud and SF - yeah i don't get f*cked with much.

actually got into a minor traffic altercation this morning. the dude called me the c-word - so i gave him a lecture on why he was stuck blocking traffic and looking liek an a$$hole. now maybe he'll be nicer to other drivers.

drove like he was in a beemer, and it was only a toyota.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?