Thread: Popping ab?!?

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar

Popping ab?!?

While doing a drop set of tricep pushdowns, I felt an ab poping out of place, with a good pain following, it only lasted a few long seconds.

A few minute later while bending I felt the same pain, again very temporary. I could really touch the ab, and it was that same ab that was pushing on my belly.

I remember having felt the exact same thing 2 and a half years ago, while I was a total newbie to weightlifting and only lifting once a week. It happened while doing the "touch the toes with straight legs" stretch. I think it was the same ab. So a inguial hernia is out of the question, anyway I think it is located in the lower abdomen.

By the way it's the ab on the left row (same left as heart), second from the top.

Worked the abs today, many hours before doing these pushdowns. Also, I stretched my hamstrings.

Also I add that I frequently do things that put a lot more intra-abdominal pressure than these stupid pushdowns. Those db snatch I did just before by example.

Can't help ya man sorry, but i'd like to know what other people have to say about this.. it seems ugly .

Based on what I read I would see a Dr. to have this diagnosed but I think it's more likely a floating rib rather than an ab. Regardless I'd see a Doctor and get it properly diagnosed.

I'm no pro but it sound like hernia to me
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

Sounds like a hernia to me also..I had one many years back and still have to be careful with that particulair area...
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Wannabebig Member
    you'd feel it for sure if it was a HERNIA. And they dont just go away immediately from what i understand.
    I have a "popping" at my upper abs,its just a floating rib getting pushed into place rapidly. no pain at all though.
    I'd say go see a doctor. if it IS something that could get worse with time and more instances, its worth going and finding out man. Dont risk it...you've worked hard right? only makes sense to take care of it and make sure things are cool.
    SETITOFF
    yeah i'm a newbie to this. and lifting.

I have had that happen to me. I think it is just a cramp. I have had times when I do a couple of leg presses and then I felt a hard knot on my stomach. Then I touched it you could straight out tell it was twisted in fact it was so cramped you could even see it over my lard. Afterwards I was tying my shoes and it happened again. That is partially why I don’t train abs. luckily I can of have some even do I don’t do direct ab work. Thanks god for deadlifts and squats.

Thank you guys for your replies.

I'm 100% sure it's not an hernia.

I will see a doc soon. I'm really confident it's not serious, but still there is no need to take risks (this is repeated quite often here).

Something interesting: in Quebec, seeing a doc is free. Yet people do like me and would first post on Internet before consulting .

Wannabebig Member
    whoa* a doctor visit is FREE? not "BILLED"??
    SETITOFF

Yup, canada rocks! cept you have to wait for 5 hours to see a doc lol.. it may be like that is the states also i dunno.. but health care in canada is nice