Thread: What exactly does flexing do?

What exactly does flexing do?

I remember when I first got here I read someone say something about how flexing your muscles helps...what and why/how?

Also, when is the best time to flex? Is flexing when sore a good idea?
    Last edited by KingJustin; 11-04-2003 at 06:30 PM.

I'm not an expert but it's contracting the muscles, so it's gotta be good. I read somewhere, I think EMO, that it's it good to do some hard flexes during warming up.
    Proud WBBSA member!

"look good for yourself, not anybody else"

"Good Boys, Never Win, Good Boys, Always Follow, Good Boys, Never Win, They All Fall Away, And You Remain"- Blondie

* would like to know the answer as well *

i dont know why/how it works exactly, but when i was in PT for my knee, they would strap sensors on my leg and i would flex it. i would do 3 sets of 12 and hold each one for 5 seconds. after 4 months of pt my left leg was freaking ripped. so ever since then (about 2.5 yrs.) ive had a habit of flexing my muscles while im sitting just around.
    Last edited by BHerks; 11-04-2003 at 09:44 PM.

Just trying to learn
    Yeah, I always flex my muscles, and it seems to work. When I was younger I used to flex my pecs all the time cuz I wanted to feel bigger than I actually was... and now I have huge pecs compared to the rest of my body. I've noticed it works with abs too. That's the philosophy behind those belts that vibrate when you stop flexing your abs.

Wannabebig Member
    this is just a theory, I go to Johns Hopkins Hospital here in Baltimore/DC a lot, and at the nursing school (GOOD GAWD those girls are hottt!) they say its supposed to stimulate capillary vessel growth(as well as nerve endings). Differrent than LIFTING. kinda gets the blood flow/pressure/hemoglobin levels higher. without the "must flush out toxins" process. It doesnt do anything TO your muscles while doing it, but WHEN YOU DO SOMETHING TO THEM, they heal /recover faster and gives your more feedback if you had injury or damage there.
    SETITOFF

* flexes and stretches as he prepares to type this * oh sh*t! i got it typed alrdy