Thread: The Matrix Universe +...symbolism of Jesus?!

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar

The Matrix Universe +...symbolism of Jesus?!

hey yo. i was reading about philosophy and it's connection with the Matrix movies today. but i read another article on msn about the supposed story of how the HISTORICAL jesus took off to france to wed mary magdelene and to protect their unborn child.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2090640/

Supposedly, this led to a bloodline of french royalty known as the Merovingians. I just think it's freaking cool that the Merovingian in the matrix spoke french and sat around around a table (in Matrix Reloaded) much like that of Da Vinci's painting 'The Last Supper.' Notice, the Merovingian first off, speaks french (obviously), has chalices all around him to drink wine with - not to mention red wine (representing blood?). He has two white bodyguards - the twins (perhaps his guardian 'angels') and the Merovingian is very knowledgable about free will, choice, and the order of the universe. Also, according to the MSN article, St. John is not really St. John at all in the painting. His face looks like that of a woman and the woman is seated to the right of Jesus. Notice...Posephone (the hot chick) is also seated to the right of the Merovingian. Anyone besides me find this freaking interesting? For all those hardcore Matrix fans, it's something to awesome to think about.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

another cool link.

http://metaphilm.com/philm.php?id=169_0_2_0

ok im done ranting and raving about the matrix.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

I was wondering why Neo's death looked so closely related to Jesus Christ's, they even have him in the "cross" position, with the light coming out in the same symbol
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Re: The Matrix Universe +...symbolism of Jesus?!

Originally posted by reloaded
    Anyone besides me find this freaking interesting?
    No.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Whoa wait a minute.. a French guy speaking French and drinking red wine?! Holy crap! Its obviously a reference to the last supper.

And remember at the last supper when Jesus makes everyone eat some cake that gives them an orgasm? Dude, I totally remember seeing that in the Matrix. And if its written in the Slate it has to be true!

Wannabebig New Member
    Now that you mention it ... where are the f***ing twins in the new one ?
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Originally posted by Brawl
    Now that you mention it ... where are the f***ing twins in the new one ?
    :withstupi

But in Reloaded, the twins probaby died in the explosion caused by Morpheus.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

I thought I saw them turn into ghosts before the flames got them. But that was just one of many flaws in Revolutions.

Wannabebig New Member
    I agree sin ... I thought they turned to ghosts first .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Yup, you're right, they did turn to ghosts before the car exploded. So I agree with sin on this, probably cinemia biggest goof of all time.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
    I was wondering why Neo's death
    Please tell me that wasn't a spoiler.

*closes eyes tightly, shakes head*
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Overtrainer.
    Yes. I noticed A LOT of religious allusions within revolutions.

I am not religious. Being Australian we see a lot of things in US movies which reveal just how religion, hyper nationalism and globalism is pervasive in American culture. Not that there is anything wrong with that. You should just be more like us Aussies though: Apathetic, anti-nationalist, anti patriotic and beach going. Buy yourself some thongs and you are set.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Well, whatever the story line is based on, Revolution still rocked
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Originally posted by WestyHeadbanger
    Yes. I noticed A LOT of religious allusions within revolutions.

I am not religious. Being Australian we see a lot of things in US movies which reveal just how religion, hyper nationalism and globalism is pervasive in American culture. Not that there is anything wrong with that. You should just be more like us Aussies though: Apathetic, anti-nationalist, anti patriotic and beach going. Buy yourself some thongs and you are set.
    Perhaps nationalism, but not ultranationalism unless you are looking at the rightwing media/political hacks. Perhaps religion, but only lip service from the administration and lots of stuff coming from the south (which comes across only as annoying noise to many people), globalism? I suppose that is correct - we are pretty much thoroughly connected into the global economy.

It was nice of you(r country) to commit soldiers to Iraq with the US.

Overtrainer.
    Yes. Australia sending troops to Iraq is basically the end of any professed differences between American foreign policy and Australian foreign policy.

"One of us....one of us.....one of us....."

It really represents Australian personalities, it doesn't matter what we do as long as we do a bloody good job and work our guts out. And if people say Australia is becoming Americanised most people generally say "oh well, what can you do?"
    Last edited by WestyHeadbanger; 11-10-2003 at 12:54 AM.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I didnt find it interesting because I have a shred of intelligence, so these amazing, deep metaphors seemed extremely cheap and obvious to me.

This is why I hate the entire franchise.

Originally posted by CanadianHomer
    Yup, you're right, they did turn to ghosts before the car exploded. So I agree with sin on this, probably cinemia biggest goof of all time.
    Where to start with this thread..
    First off maybe he fired the twins, for failing, maybe a whole bunch of things. I can't beleive you think that is the biggest goof in cinemia.
    As for the chick sitting on his right, you got a 50-50 chance. Also people sitting at a table sure doesn't mean much. No connection to the last supper. Other then sitting at a table and drinking wine. WOW.
    I can't beleive the strays some people are grasping at. You really need to get a life. I know I sound like a dick, but come on people.

Originally posted by Berserker
    First off maybe he fired the twins, for failing, maybe a whole bunch of things. I can't beleive you think that is the biggest goof in cinemia.
    Generally good writers take care of loose ends in the plot. That means using either dialog or explosition to explain just what happened to any character or plot point of note. When you fail to do so, it becomes bad writing.

As to the original poster: Do a search on the history of the Merovingians. There's a lot of myth and so forth surrounding the birth of Merovee, but since he and his lineage didn't come into dominance until around the 5th century, that puts it a bit at odds with the theory that Mary Magdalene was his progenitor.

There's more evidence linking them to the Trojans than to the Israelites.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Either way I never even though about the twins. I don't consier it much of a loose end. I wasn't sure that he died either, thought he jsut collapsed after a big fight.

tuttut

no appreciation of the symbolism.

Too cool for school.
    My Blog

I prefer good sensible plots and character development.

Theres nothing to appreciate. Look at you what your wrote. We have a frenchman drinking wine, (which is white, red or in betwee, so 1 in 3), a woman sitting on his right,(has to sit somewhere), and there sitting at a table(got to sit somewhere)

Also nothing eludes to the frenchman being the son of jesus, jesus was a good guy too. The twins were far from angels.

If you want to stretch something with no regard to logic you can connect anything.

whatever man. i thought the Merovingian connection was freakin cool. but i guess it's not that exciting to the majority. how boring. hehe.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

.....as usual, Powerman delivers.........

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Watch Chocolat.

If you find yourself enraptured by the deep symbolism and the artistic yet sensible criticism of religion, put a bullet into a revolver, spin the chamber, and then try to pull the trigger six times because you're a ****ing moron.

If you want to see examples of skillful criticism of religion, or symbolism period, I highly suggest you watch Monty Python's 'Life of Brian', Night of the Living Dead', and 'Day of the Dead.'
    For criticism on Western capitalism, watch 'White Heat', 'I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang' or 'Little Caesar.'