The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Pot smoking and the lifting lifestyle

This isn't another thread for people to get in a pissing match over weed's evil, or lower test or legalization or any of that. What I want to know is, among those who toke, how it effects your bb/pl lifestyle (if at all), how much you toke, etc. Hell, I'll go first:

I go in wild swings where I only smoke on the weekends, and then I'll have 5 day binges. It never keeps me from going to the gym. Though I'll often feel "heavy" and a little lethargic the next day (think this is from smoking right up til bed), I get in the gym and still move weights. But because of this, I've been trying to not smoke when gym day is the next morning. It has little to no effect on my cardio (I don't smoke cigs when I'm not smoking weed). But I'll admit maybe my lungs will be a weak link at some point and then I'll need to reassess.

Yes, I sometimes eat like complete crap when I'm high. This is a mental weakness, and often times I have it under control. But I know if I'm ever gonna see my abs, I need to smoke less because I still eat too much. But while bulking/maintaining, bring em on.

I worry about what's going on in my body that I can't see. Is the weed keeping my muscles from growing optimally? Who the **** knows. Some a-hole will come in here and tell me it lowers my test and my loser ass won't gain well, then I'll post a dozen studies that refute that, and refer them to a guy on EF who smokes EVERY night and is one big mofo. Fact is, nobody knows. But the more times I hear about others who smoke moderately/regularly and still have physical success, it helps.

Now some will say "it can't possibly do any good, so why smoke it?". Because I enjoy it. I admit, I don't need it for medical reasons (though it does the trick for a migraine, bodyache, or some cold symptoms), but I enjoy it, not terribly unlike a smoker or drinker. We give up so much for "fitness", but I'm not gonna abstain from EVERYTHING, eat 6 perfectly rationed meals of the worst crap out there EVERY DAY, while sleeping 10 hours in a regular cycle and doing nothing physical while I'm not in the gym. If I was a pro making money, maybe. But it's just a PART of my life. I don't think anyone should sacrifice EVERYTHING. A lot of guys head to the bars on the weekend, hell, a lot of em bring a 6 pack home most nights. I abstain from alcohol, but I have a few hits several days a week. Sometimes I tell myself no more until "X". Sometimes I make it til "X", sometimes I get so frickin bored I'm smoking the next day. Weed is causing no problems in my life, I see little reason not to. Not unless Doc Brown is gonna come take me into an alternate future where I gave up weed and look like Arnold in 10 years. Then, MAYBE.

P.S. To my fellow smokers whose lungs are feeling it, I've got one word: vaporize. The act may not be as "fun", but the result's the same.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I smoke on the average probably 2-4 times a week. Here's some simple rules that I follow to keep myself in order.

1. Never smoke in the morning, only at night. This prevents yourself from being tired /smoking all day and not getting anything done. There's a big difference between people that smoke once everyday at night, and ppl that smoke all day, everyday.

2. never smoke before a workout, no matter how many hours later you plan to workout

Only smoking at night will make a big difference. Not only will it keep it from interferring with anything, but it will limit yourself to smoking only once that day.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

man i use to think weed actually made me buffer lol. i always felt denser when i smoked i dono. but all i know is if u are gonna smoke and bench, so at least u know it can be a hold back and are admitting it thats cool. but i known some ripped ass mofos that smoke like craaazy. so its not impossible hell i knew a ripped ass mofo that did weed and drinks everyday. and his bodyfat was little as hell. hmm now that i think about it what the crap i never caught any single one of them working out ever except once each and i see them everyday hmm weird. hey but dont be a idiot like me laugh at me...i use to do ...coacaine and weightlift! talk about a dumbass. i dono what the hell made me think i could grow at the same time as doing coacaine lmao...ah i was a dumbass...anyways peace

All things in moderation. I smoke maybe once per week. Only at night and never before lifting.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I like it, but I don't smoke nearly as much as I used to. Just once in a blue moon, and on the weekend.

I used to smoke morning noon and night before I moved. Living in VT there isn't much to do besides smoke your weed and go hiking and swimming with your dog. My brother and I had quite the smoking shecdule. But since I moved I haven't smoke in a month and a half and I have noticed that my gains aren't as good, I've lost strength and even been had to lower my weights back down.
    Proud WBBSA member!

"look good for yourself, not anybody else"

"Good Boys, Never Win, Good Boys, Always Follow, Good Boys, Never Win, They All Fall Away, And You Remain"- Blondie

Originally posted by briancurran01
    Why even smoke at all???

My older brother used to do this crud and it jacked him up.
    I believe I tried to answer that in my post.

One of my (several) militant anti-pot friends has a cousin who apparently ruined his life with "weed". I don't even bring it up with him, but I can guarantee the same thing to you as I would to him: the WEED didn't do ****. Either they had pre-existing emotional conditions and were doomed anyway, or they also did harder stuff. Weed itself is a "soft" drug, anyone at all knowledgable (and I don't mean pumped full of gov't propaganda) knows this. This is actually a big reason for the failure of the war on drugs and constantly high usage rates.... they should have drawn a line in the sand between soft and hard, legal and illegal, and they f'd it up. Like alcohol (which is more harmful), in the hands of most people it's not a problem. But there's always that handful.... Now, a HARD drug like coke/meth can and will ruin your life, and I can't show you examples of any long-running success stories. But many many many successful people smoke weed regularly, just as many drink regularly.
    [/i]
    I used to smoke morning noon and night before I moved. Living in VT there isn't much to do besides smoke your weed and go hiking and swimming with your dog. My brother and I had quite the smoking shecdule. But since I moved I haven't smoke in a month and a half and I have noticed that my gains aren't as good, I've lost strength and even been had to lower my weights back down.
    I don't know why this would be, unless the increase in appetite translated in you eating more food and you simply don't eat enough otherwise.... or if you've also stopped the extra physical activity and aren't in as good shape overall. Hmm. I guess you better spark one up!

Well, I've just gone a week w/o smoking so I can tell everyone who spews that "addicted" BS to shove it up their ass, and also to note changes... only there aren't any. If there's other smokers out there, let's hear from you.

I didn't say it made your muscles grow, I was just saying what it has done to me since I've stopped smoking.

And I have been eating more than I did when I smoked so I don't know what to tell ya, lol, i'm baffled about it too.
    Last edited by AtomicXY; 12-04-2003 at 01:13 PM.
    Proud WBBSA member!

"look good for yourself, not anybody else"

"Good Boys, Never Win, Good Boys, Always Follow, Good Boys, Never Win, They All Fall Away, And You Remain"- Blondie

when i was on my last cycle back in march-may, i had to smoke every night just to fall asleep before 3 or 4am. i still felt guilty that my gains suffered. i havent smoked since july, and thats the longest ive gone in 5 years without doin it...which is pretty sad when you think about it. ive never felt this healthy in a long time, but come christmas break... its on baby

Originally posted by briancurran01
    ok. So here is what happened to my brother.

Used to get high constantly 24 x 7.

Went up in the mountains got high. SLipped on a mountain and was to jacked up on the crap to know which end was up and tried to go where there was no ledge and fell 80 feet and died.

I contribute part of this to the pot. He did it all the time all day long
    That sucks about your brother, but if you go mountain climbing when your stoned your asking for trouble, that has nothing to do with the effects of marijuana. That's like saying a side effect of marijuanan is falling off a cliff.

Don't do dangerous things when your stoned. This thread isn't about whether or not pot is bad for you, so don't turn it into thattuttut
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by briancurran01

Went up in the mountains got high. SLipped on a mountain and was to jacked up on the crap to know which end was up and tried to go where there was no ledge and fell 80 feet and died.

hey sorry to hear that man i just wanted to reply to say yea same exact crap happened to my uncle exept with alcohol.

Jesus Christ, Dude. Did you bother to read the first sentence of this thread?

"This isn't another thread for people to get in a pissing match over weed's evil"

Your brother died from his own stupidity, not from Marijuana.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    Hey c'mon now, lets show a little sympathy at least.
    Last edited by AstronautJones; 12-08-2003 at 02:47 AM.

I smoke maybe once a week and this is usually on weekends. Not smoking is not a huge deal to me, sometimes I go a month or more without smoking. I don't go out and buy it, I'm like the guy who smokes if others are smoking and it's a weekend and I'm not driving.
    I think acohol is way worse than smoking also, but I also think that YOU need to be in control, and people who smoke weed, ciggarretes, or drink beer are not in control of their lives 100%. Try going a month w/out smoking, if you can do that, then you are in control. I'm not saying smoking is bad, I'm just saying that if you can't stop for a month you have a self control issue. I think being in control helps with other aspects of life as well. Try it for a month, and you will see what willpower and self-control is really all about, this is of course assuming you want to heh.

screw it. im gonna kill the post...DRUGS ARE BAD! dont smoke the crap if your gonnna weight train. do u wanna do drugs? or get built? simple as that. u say not to make it a issue about whether its bad or not but who gives a crap what you say. cus some people replying act like weed is good for u or somthing. and they think well im ok i only smoke weed at least i dont drink or do other drugs...haha big laugh at u guys. your worried about what effect its gonna have on your weightlifting and body...what about your mind? the thc stores in the fat cells in your brain and takes YEARS to clear if ever.i smoked a few years of my life away ben clean almost 2 years i still find it really hard to do basic math multiplication/division. i have to re read everything to understand it. and ever notice how the people that always say weed is not a drug weed is not that bad notice how those people are always the ones that smoke it...find a clean and sober person and u will hear the opposite....and who u gonna belive the DRUGGY or the clean person? exactly. if u smoke for say only the weekends that crap lessens rite bfore your eyes next thing twice a week 3 times ect ect. thast how it got me. anyways srry i killed your post but some people are cold telling that guy is bro died from stupidity not marijuana thats just wrong. and if it was stupidity guess what caused it...the drug, marijuana. face it its a drug, now quit acting like it aint all us ex stoners know peace.

Banned
    arnold smoked

lots of big guys smoke

can it affect your lifting to some degree? Yes.
    will it completely destroy your gains/ability to grow? No.

Without quoting a single study I can tell you that if you put something into your body, it can impact your ability to perform. Whether you're talking about THC or a protein shake, putting anything into your body's system will have an IMPACT on your physiology. The kicker is how MUCH of an impact.

Personally?

- I like the green because it has ZERO calories... as opposed to alcohol which has quite a few, especially consumed in enough quantities to get me buzzed... if munchies are a personal problem for you, make sure you have something like Atkins Advantage bars and maybe some Diet Coke around to fulfill the urge instead of the high fat crap in the corner stores. Personally, I don't get munched out.

- I have never experienced a limitation in the gym, despite moderate occasional (read: occasionally on weekends) use. I DO notice that I don't play as well in football if I have some the night before (decisionmaking seems fractionally slower for about 24 hours after consuming THC)

good call on the vaporizer. more efficient too.

Callahan- beautiful post

Azboy- if you have trouble with multiplication and division, then marijuana is not your problem.

I perfer marijuana because over alcohol for a number of reasons.

1. I have driven drunk before(hardly ever), and it severely impairs my driving.
    If I'm smoking, I drive slower, and safer than I normally would. There was a study done on that infact, which I will post if I can find. Does it make me a better driver, no-but I can drive if I need to.

2. I won't get a dui from smoking. Can it happen, yes. Will it happen, probably not. Alcohol can be smelled, and easily detected.

3. People, and myself have a better tendency to get into more trouble while drinking than smoking. I wouldn't even think of doing anything stupid while stoned because of the state of mind it puts me in, very relaxed and cautious.

4. Pot smokers are peaceful That's why I think the drinking lifestyle impairs lifting a lot more than smoking once or twice a week.

"This isn't another thread for people to get in a pissing match over weed's evil"

nice comment there patrick.

I appreciate your comments please refrain from replying to me at all in the future thank you

Hahn I agree dude good points on why smoking is better than alcohol.
    Callahan excellent point about the ZERO calorie factor, this is something I always consider before I drink, because I know once I start drinking I won't stop lol.

i smoked a few years of my life away ben clean almost 2 years i still find it really hard to do basic math multiplication/division. i have to re read everything to understand it
    Is there any proof that it really slows you down? I've smoked LOTS of weed and done LOTS of hardcore drugs and I'm fairly good in Mathematics. I know that inhaling like paint and stuff can really impair your thinking ability but does smoking weed really do that?

One more thing, you ever been in 7th grade and have to deal with something like that happening to someone in your family?/
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 12-10-2003 at 12:36 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated
    Is there any proof that it really slows you down? I've smoked LOTS of weed and done LOTS of hardcore drugs and I'm fairly good in Mathematics. I know that inhaling like paint and stuff can really impair your thinking ability but does smoking weed really do that?

Anecdotally, I can verify that it hurts my ability to do math WHILE I'm high.

But it does not affect my ability when I'm not. I was smart before I smoked. I was smart after I smoked. Just seemed like I was less smart WHILE I was smoking.

Odd thing, I find that my math skills go in the toilet when I'm piss-drunk, too.

I hear that Wile E Coyote used a lot of weed, and we all know what happened to him. He fell of a cliff practically every time.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

One more thing, you ever been in 7th grade and have to deal with something like that happening to someone in your family?/

Alright look. If you want to run your mouth about how weed is evil, go ahead, but weed didn't kill your brother.

"Gee, I think I'll take mind-altering chemicals that slow reflexes and then go rock climbing"

I'm sorry, but that's not exactly the pinnacle of intelligence.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

patrick one part that you were right about is I should not have been spouting off on my feelings about it being wrong. people make their own choices.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    I hear that Wile E Coyote used a lot of weed, and we all know what happened to him. He fell of a cliff practically every time.
    LMFAO I love the Coyote!

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo