The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Rotator Cuff?

Rotator Cuff?

When I do excersizes such as military press, dumbell press, and other shoulder excersizes I experience a sharp pain in my shoulder, but it doesn't feel like it is coming from the muscle. The pain feels like its in the bone or perhaps a tendon or something. I was thinking maybe I am developing a rotator cuff problem. Any help would be beneficial.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    first of all take a week off, don't let it get worse

if it's healed start warming up and strenghtening the rotators cuff, but 1-2 sets of cuban press/rotation in your shoulder routine

if the pain continues however go to a docter

there was a recent thread about this issue that listed sum excersises/stretches you could do to strengthen your R. Cuff.. look back a few pages and you should find it, i forget the URL now sorry.

Bulking Man
    Does your shoulder "pop" when it happens? Kind of like it is popping out of socket (but not really).

You are definately experiencing a rotator cuff problem. Check out the thread in the archive. I have SERIOUS RC problems so I'll answer whatever questions you've got.

Westside
    dude i used to have the same problem. All you can do is take some time off and let it heal. When i had the problem i just kept lifting and i kept hoping it would go away, but its not like that. Make sure you take some time off and take care of it by taking some pain medicine and icing it a few times a day. If you do this for a week and you come back to training and it still hurts i would recomend seeing your doctor. Good luck man

First, stop doing MP and db press. They will NOT strengthen your RC and will only make it worse. Eventually you'll find you can't do them at all UNLESS you strengthen your RC now. Take a week off. Stop doing bench press for about 2 weeks. I would also avoid doing flyes and dips for a while.

Do the last two exercises on this page: http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Sh...l#anchor105322

Use just enough weight to get some resistance, don't go heavy. Do 3 sets of 10 reps for each arm for each exercise. Slow, controlled movements. Do it 2-3 times a week before your workout. Eventually you'll notice your shoulders feeling much stronger. It will take a long time for the popping noises to go away.

When you do shoulder exercises, avoid movements like the MP which pinch the RC and directly damage them even when you use perfect form. I would suggest doing DB presses with your palms facing eachother and your arms brought out to about a 45 deg angle from your body. This puts much less stress on the RC.

RC problems are horrible and painful. Takes a long time to repair, but be patient and they'll come around.

Good luck.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Ya my shoulder hurts slightly when doing the military press, and my right shoulder especially clicks. I'm going to do those rotator cuff excersizes 5 times a week as well as stay on a regiment of Motrin(Ibuprofen) to reduce any inflamation. I'm gonna take off military press for this week. I don't feel any pain or discomfort doing any other excersizes though, even seated dumbell shoulder press. (Palms not facing each other)

I'm also setting a doctor's appt for when I go home to Atlanta for thanksgiving.

would doing them on a smith be safer? ive been thinking of doing this since i injured my RC

Check out this month's newsletter at Avant Labs. They have an interesting thread on this.