Thread: Soreness and recovery time

Wannabebig New Member

Soreness and recovery time

Hey, I've been reading these forums for a long time and have gained some good insights, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

I've been using a modified version of WBB#1 (using only free weights and a bench, since that's what I have access to) for the past several months.

My question is about soreness: I've heard again and again that you should never work a muscle that's sore from a previous workout. The problem is that I'm almost always sore for 2 days after lifting, which means I end up waiting an extra day between workouts. The result is that the prescribed schedule (3 days per week, with each muscle group worked once per week) gets out of whack, and I end up working twice a week instead. This in turn means it's often more than a week (maybe 10 days) until I can get back to work a muscle group again.

I eat really well (enormous quantities of lean protein throughout the day, plus good carbs, vegetables, etc.). I'm sticking pretty closely to the WBB routine, with good form and a 6-8 rep weight range.

I want to hit each muscle group once per week. Is it OK to workout if I'm quite sore from a workout two days ago? Or should I reorganize my workouts somehow to a two-day split? I don't want to overtrain, but I feel like twice per week is not enough.

Advice?

I dunno what to tell ya, never had soreness like that.
    Usually you only get sore like that when your getting into shape, or when you switch something up.
    Regardless, after a few months on WBB I'd recommend you switch your routine...
    Change is a good thing

Wannabebig Member
    yeah id like to know the answer to that questin too!!!
    Whenever i squat my legs are sore for atleast 4 days.

Working sore muscles isn't always bad. And if you're working different muscles than the ones that are sore, I don't see what the problem is.

If you're only getting a chance to work out twice a week, I'd divide one of the day's exercises among the others so you hit everything each week.

Wannabebig New Member
    Yeah, it drives me crazy. 24 hours after a workout the soreness kicks in for real - guess that's why they call it "delayed onset."

I warm up pretty well, so I don't think that's it.

I notice the soreness most in my arms, when I'm typing or using a mouse at work - it's hard to ignore.

Now that I think of it, could the low-impact strain of holding my arms raised over a computer keyboard all day have something to do with the soreness in the first place? Does anyone else have this problem? I guess an online forum is a good place to ask!

My arms are also lagging far behind everything else in terms of growth. Since I use free weights only, my arms are always involved in every workout to some degree.

Typing seems like such a low-impact activity to cause such fatigue - it's not like I'm doing heavy lifting all day. Anyway, what do you think?