The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Time to get serious, newbie needs help!

Hey guys. Just recently roamed onto the boards thanks to a search engine - got lucky. Everything looks very helpful here, and a lot of resources about different things. I've been looking for a place like this for a while. ANYWAYS - to my question.

I am 16 - turning 17 in a few months. I am 6'2, around 220 lbs. My height stretches me out - so I don't have the appearance of being overweight at all (or at least not TOO much ). I've been lifting off and on for a little while now, about once or twice a week for anywhere from 20 mins to 1 hour. I am now VERY interested in becoming devoted to weightlifting, as I have desired to 'tone' parts of my body for a while now.

I am already pretty big if you couldn't tell - some say it looks like I work out a good amount, when I rarely do nowadays (once a month, or less even!). The look I would like is to be "chiseled" - have tone, and make it obvious that I do have muscle, am decently strong, instead of flat and regular! I am most concerned with my ARMS, and my upper chest slightly. My legs are already decently toned as I am a biker. I have shown interest in supplements, but I backed down due to fact I have enough energy running through my body (still a teenager), and I'm not too sure about anything. I've heard about AD-1, and was almost going to take it. Then I heard about NO2, and then saw some of the posts here about it - so I backed down again.

This is where I need your help - I want to get serious about this now! I am willing to be devoted to this and do whatever as long as necessary! I am very confused on what to take or what kind of work outs to do. I am already big in width/size, but I want the tone. I have no idea really what even some of the exercises are called. I am most familiar with the bench, curling, having my arm bring up a single hand weight from my thighs, and putting a bar with weights behind my neck and rep up and down. If anyone would be generous enough to give me a plan to start with, like ideas of what to eat/drink, what supplements/vitamins to take, what exercises to do, or any comments AT ALL - that would be great! BTW, I will post pics tomorrow afternoon so have ideas of what I look like.

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it. Also, I apologize if this in the wrong place.
    Last edited by JDS; 11-10-2003 at 01:24 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    Here is a picture I took after about a 45 minute to 1 hour workout with the exercises I listed about (curling, bench, etc). My curling bar is 50 pounds, doing about 10 - 20 reps. I would also put that behind my head and rep up and down about the same number of times. I also used 20 pound single hand weights that I would put it my hands and let them rest at my sides, then bring them up to my chest then back down again - switching off between my left and right arms. I KNOW I have potential - I just need your guidance. Also, about 10 - 20 mins before the workout, I blended some strawberry Spritutein with milk just for its protein value and gulped it down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (8.9 KB, 80 views)
    Last edited by JDS; 11-10-2003 at 01:37 AM.

Okay.. Well you do have a good base.. but you really need to read some stickies and get a workout program together.. by the sunds of it you want to goto the gym every day and bench/curl.

Here is a link to a good routine, read the whole thing( 5 pages i believe )

Bulking Man
    I'd suggest a few months of cutting (eat less food, a lot more cardio) to drop your BF% down, then consider bulking up. 220 at 6'2" is pretty heafty.

Definately get a gym membership. There are a million reasons this is important.

Devote at least 3 times a week to lifting - and hook up with a good workout split (as suggested by defcon - wannabebig routine). Make sure you have good form when doing the exercises. Just because you lift more - doesn't mean it is a good thing (if you are doing the excercise incorrectly).

As far as SUPPs go - start out with a multivitamin and protien drink (see www.atlargenutrition.com - Nitrean) twice a day (one right after you lift).

-Tim