Thread: Speed bench programs

Speed bench programs

Does anyone know of any good speed bench routines? I have never really seriously done speed work before and I want to incorporate it in a routine for a few weeks. I was looking for ideas such as weight to use, sets etc...Hopefully this is going to help my 1rm bench and sticking points, any thoughts?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

You'll want to work with roughly 50-65% of your 1RM and achieve about 25 total reps with the best possible speed.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    on every speed day should u do a set of 20 rep max?
    Q: at what do you determine that you should stop bulking-up and eating bigger meals for mass, and start cutting?
    A: once i ran out of dumbells and all the olympic bars were all bent up i was like well might as well start cutting

deadlift: 500
    squat: 455
    bench: 295

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    You'll want to work with roughly 50-65% of your 1RM and achieve about 25 total reps with the best possible speed.
    Ok, sounds good. I tried it yesterday with 115 which seemed a tad too light but I wasn't sure what %of my 1rm to use. I'll go with 120 and try it, when you say 25 reps are you meaning to divide that into 5 sets of 5- or one big set of 25?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

It means you'll have accomplished 20-25 reps with quality speed when you're done.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    I know my speed isn't the same as your speed routine, but what I do for speed day is I take the like 70% of my max and perform 6 sets of singles, I try to lift as fast as I can with those singles, so its like I try to take a medium-heavier weight and try to drive it up as fast as I can for one rep each set. Its supposed to help me put up weight fast, even on max out days. I've noticed a difference since doing this.

Hahn, usually you'll need to keep the reps down between 2-4 or so (Westside pretty much always uses 8 sets of 3 with 3 different grips).

Here's a good article:
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/be...part2_jimw.htm
    Last edited by KingJustin; 11-11-2003 at 06:28 PM.

Good info everyone, thanks.