Thread: Would this be a good way to start HIIT?

Would this be a good way to start HIIT?

I finally read the HIIT thread on the sticky up top and I'm sold. The idea of making my body burn more fat is awesome. Anyways I want to start HIIT asap.

I'm thinking of doing it outside, in the morning(cause it's convinient then) like this...

1/4 mile = slow jog as a warmup
    1/2 mile = 6 seconds 100% intensity, 9 seconds slow jog
    1/4 mile = slow jog as a cooldown

The short intervals will let me count in my head, I don't want to keep looking at my watch constantly. That's only 1 mile also, but I'm thinking the intervals will be hard enough on me that I can keep it short and simple to start. How does it look, would that be an ideal HIIT workout?

i say go 95-100% until you can't go any longer, then do a 20 second jog and sprint again and so on. do that for maybe 15-20 mins and slow jog cool down. oh yeah, then you collapse. don't forget to stretch after your warm up jog and cool down, HIIT is pretty intense(hence the name) enjoy.

If someone is not in good cardiovascular shape.. what about if they do HIIT in this style.. jog/run at a speed that they can go at for no longer then 30 seconds.. then speed walk for 30 secs, then jog/run for 30, and continue this for 15 mins.. eventually they may build up their cardio endurence and do the real HIIT where you sprint/jog/sprint/jog ect ect.

?

Originally posted by defcon
    If someone is not in good cardiovascular shape.. what about if they do HIIT in this style.. jog/run at a speed that they can go at for no longer then 30 seconds.. then speed walk for 30 secs, then jog/run for 30, and continue this for 15 mins.. eventually they may build up their cardio endurence and do the real HIIT where you sprint/jog/sprint/jog ect ect.
    ?
    if your not in good cardiovascular shape then why do you propose running in longer intervals? if anything you should be going shorter... I think I follow the logic here but it doesn't make any sense to me, could you explain it a bit more?

HIIT is broken up into work/rest cycles, a jog/run work cycle doesn't cut it IMHO. The work cycle should be 90+ % effort, and if your that far outta shape that you have to jog to get to 90% then HIIT isn't the thing for you.
    the faster you run the more impact you'll receive on joints/bones/etc which your body might not be in a condition to handle.

This is just my opinion, and I'm sure everyone will disagree with me, so take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 11-07-2003 at 07:57 AM.

For someone not in "good" cardiovscular shape, or not very conditioned to running, it's best to start out with complete low-intensity running (light jogging) and work up gradually from there.

Originally posted by Jasonl
    i say go 95-100% until you can't go any longer, then do a 20 second jog and sprint again and so on. do that for maybe 15-20 mins and slow jog cool down. oh yeah, then you collapse. don't forget to stretch after your warm up jog and cool down, HIIT is pretty intense(hence the name) enjoy.
    Hmm definitely something to consider. This would make it so I only have to count to 20 when I'm jogging, or maybe just look at the watch and check it from time to time and at the 20 second mark bust it. The downside though is that the that intervals aren't as short as 6/9, so not as ideal. Hmm gonna have to think on it, thanks for the advice it would definitely be more convinient the way you suggested.

Westside
    dedicated that looks good man but just make sure you keep increasing your intervals and keep progressing ever HITT workout. GOOD LUCK

Originally posted by Dedicated

Hmm definitely something to consider. This would make it so I only have to count to 20 when I'm jogging, or maybe just look at the watch and check it from time to time and at the 20 second mark bust it. The downside though is that the that intervals aren't as short as 6/9, so not as ideal. Hmm gonna have to think on it, thanks for the advice it would definitely be more convinient the way you suggested.
    95-100% intensity is flying... not saying anything about you personally, but most people will never be in good enough physical condition to keep up that kind of intenstity for longer than 6-8 seconds

If you can keep it up for 20-25 seconds then consider yourself in stellar physical conditioning
    if you can keep it up for 40-45 seconds then your close to making the olympic 400m squad

Rather than worry about counting your "work" interval time, I recommend the following:
    pickout an 60-80m section on a track

start 10m before the start line and jog into the line so that when you hit it your going at 85-90% already.

Don't consider your 0-topspeed as part of your "work interval"
    that 1-3 seconds is useless and is high impact, just jog into it and take off.

use your stopwatch to time how fast you can get there
    rest
    run back
    rest
    repeat....
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 11-11-2003 at 10:34 AM.