The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

movie/math question

first to admit i am a complete tard in the math department. i am curious however what type of math is being discussed/performed in the movie Good Will Hunting. if anyone knows, and doesnt ming enlightening me, i appreciate it.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I win.
    If I remember correctly I think it was differential calculus. Im not sure but I bet someone here knows.

It was a great movie btw.

Not sure, but Happy Gilmore can drive the ball 400 yards, which is 1200 feet. Hope this helps, though I know it doesnt
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    I haven't seen that movie in a long long time. Even tsill the math in that movie was a afterthought almost. Most of the time you couldn't even see what the problem was let alone the answer. (that is if I remember correctly). I think there was some fourier seriers in there but who knows. I would guess mostly advanced calculus and some linear algebra (used in proofs).
    w00t

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    I think advanced algebra something like that.

BTW: Awesome movie.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

http://krant.telegraaf.nl/krant/nasl....mattdamon.jpg this looks more like chem to me, ionic bonding

I think that's something else.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

well this is actually an extra credit question in my math class says to identify the type of math discussed, and to find out the mathematician who contributed the most to this field.

they do mention 'advanced fourier system', as the first proof of the movie. but none of that made any sense to me. then i tried a search on google and they call it, as well as GP, fourier series. which is probably the same thing.

well i'll start with this and see where i get, thanks friends.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Originally posted by Y2A
    Not sure, but Happy Gilmore can drive the ball 400 yards, which is 1200 feet. Hope this helps, though I know it doesnt
    lol this is about as advanced as i get with math

6'2"
    273 lbs.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Fourier system is kind of ambiguous but it could be either the fourier transform or the fourier series (special case of the transform).

That picture looked like a graphing problem (not the normal graphs people know). Some topics on graphing I know are (limited knowledge) Minimum cost spanning trees, topilogical sort.... i think that's the main ones I learned. I only touched upon this topic.
    w00t

and what level education do you have if you don't mind me asking?

sounds like GP is beyond me, but if youre asking me i am only a second year college student. however its been about 10 years since my last math class which was high school geometry lol. its never been my strong point, plus my break from school made my brain quit working. its finally getting warmed up again.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

i was asking GP but yeah.. after 10 years your brain shuts out all that useless garbage

yeah, my years in the "real world" as high school grads call it, i have never needed to solve for X or simplify radicals, or rationalize anything. ive needed to add and subtract in my check book, and thats about it.

i did do some math to figure out my gas mileage once, i cant think of too many other instances of needing anything more than basic 6th grade math.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

"Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

easy stuff

like seriously... who the hell comes up with all this, and what is the use of all of this garbage? :P

Scary just to look @ it.. let alone understand it :|
    Last edited by defcon; 11-15-2003 at 07:44 PM.

thanks B, I'm beginning to think that all the quotes in your sig may actually be true.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Of course they are.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    I'm a 3rd year computer engineering student. There are alot of uses for this kind of math in computing and in signal processing. FUN STUFF!
    The graphs question though looks really hard is not. There are just alot of theorms incorporated into it. I have not learned graphs throughly yet so I only can glean some of the facts from that problem.
    As for parsevals theorm it isn't that hard either. It just says the power of a signal represented in it's fourier series (summation of complex exponientials) is equal to the summation of the absolute value of it's fourier coefficients squared. I am currently taking this course what a coiencidence!
    Your computer and many of the electronics you use have parts that are based the fourier series/transform. Very applicable.
    Last edited by GonePostal; 11-15-2003 at 07:59 PM.
    w00t

i feel as if ive just read a post ina foreign language

thanks for the replies GP!

6'2"
    273 lbs.

* runs way from his school *, im doing term 1 of engineering right now, not totally decided on what branch i will continue on to tho.. but i was thinking about computer.. ( looks at that math again ), SCREW THAT! its mechanical for me

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Webb...do you go to Sac State?

no, lowly ARC til next fall. decided to take small baby steps in my getting back into school.

Im choosing sac state over davis simply for the commute. but i would rather go to davis.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Wannabebig New Member
    SAC state ??

Is that short for scrotum state ?
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock