Thread: Odd shoulder pain

Wannabebig Member

Odd shoulder pain

Ok lets see if any of you guys can give me an insight on my shoulder. The pain originally started while doing single rows on a hammer strength machine. Bad pain in my right shoulder when I was fully contracted doing the row, so I stopped doing those. It then proceeded to start hurting while I was doing close grip bench, only when the bar was lowered. I quit doing those too, well actually at this point it hurt all the time so I quit going to the gym for some time. Now I'm back in the gym with no pain (not doing those exercises anymore), well the no pain is while I'm at the gym. My right shoulder still gives me problems at other times. Good examples are pouring things like milk or whatever and also while seated if I turn and reach behind me it sends a sharp a$$ pain down my shoulder into my elbow. I have tried different rotator cuff exercises with no luck (they hurt too). I haven't seen a doc yet but I'm about to that point. Any ideas before I take that plunge? Thanks. Oh ya this is my first post, no longer a virgin on this site.

Welcome to WBB! My first posts here were also due to shoulder pain.

Where exactly is the pain? Point your arm straight forward parallel to the ground and then bend your shoulder at a ninety degree angle (hand pointing up). Now rotate your arm at the shoulder so that your forearm ends up parallel to the ground in front of your chest. This is internal rotation of the shoulder. Does this hurt?

Rotator cuff exercises can strengthen the 4 rotator cuff muscles but they don't eliminate everything that can go wrong at the joint. They won't eliminate impingementm for example. There's a narrow space beneath the acromion process of the scapula where the supraspinatus tendon runs. There's a bursa between the acromion and the tendon. This is a tight space to begin with, and inflammation/swelling of the bursa (bursitis) tends to trap the supraspinatus tendon. This is impingement syndrome. If it continues to the fullest extent, it can result in a tear or complete rupture of the supraspinatus tendon.

If you have pain in the shoulder when you do the internal rotation movement I described above, you definitely need to be examined by a doctor. If the pain is severe or doesn't go away quickly, you still need to see one, IMO. Good luck.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the response. I had no pain trying what you described. Now it does hurt a little if my arm is out to the side bent at 90 degrees and my hand is slightly lower than parralel to the ground. I think it hurts the most if my arm is fully extended straight up or if its at all behind me (moving just about any way). I've been trying to pinpoint just where the pain is and so far its kinda iffy. It feels like its directly underneath the side muscle of my shoulder (sorry the technical name escapes me at the moment its late Again thanks for any help.

Kris