Thread: disproportionately large upper legs and squats

Wannabebig Member

disproportionately large upper legs and squats

up until recently i was a very skinny guy, except for my upper legs, which were pretty muscular, probably from all the bike riding i did. 8 months of weight training have helped, A LOT, but i still have a ways to go. here's the problem -- i do squats because they're a conerstone compound lift and good for skinny guys to do, right?. the thing is, in my case they're making my upper legs too big for the rest of my body. i'm still a very slim guy overall but i'm starting to have problems fitting on some of my jeans, just on the upper legs part. this is starting to get out of hand, and if it keeps going like this, i'm gonna start looking silly, with huge tree trunk legs below a slender upperbody. should i quit doing squats? i don't want my legs any bigger but do want a bigger back (and chest and shoulders and arms) what do i do? can i address this by changing form? should i do deadlifts instead? help!

Work your upper body and calves (if you don't already). That'll help keep your thighs from overpowering everything else.

Wannabebig Member
    I already do that. Here's my workout:

Mondays and Thursdays: chest and shoulders
    --bench press
    --incline
    --military press
    --side dumbbell raises
    --dips
    --triceps cable pushdown

Tuesdays and Fridays: back and legs
    --squats
    --calf raise
    --pullups (assisted)
    --high rows on the hammer strength machine
    --pullovers on a nautilus type machine
    --biceps curls
    --dummbell shrugs

on all exercises i do one light set and then 2 working sets, sometimes 3 if i feel like it. working sets 6-8 reps always to failure. some weeks i skip a day, figuring it can't hurt.
    Last edited by crud_meridian; 11-10-2003 at 08:28 PM.

You should be doing deadlifts anyway.

Why wouldn't you want massive legs? I just buy carpenter jeans. They fit great. Like normal jeans on "regular" people. lol

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    would deadlifts offer more benefit to the upperbody? i assume it would help the arms a little, or at least my grip.

i don't want massive legs because i think i look better when i am muscular but trim, and anyway i've still got a ways to go until i get enough muscle to consider myself muscular. it's just that i think my genetics are such that my quads develop proportionally much faster and larger than other musclesin my body, and i don't want that to get out of hand.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    yeah keep working, just really concentrate on building up your upper body.

and trust me a huge lower body and a decent size upper body looks alot better than huge upper body and small legs
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Just think of all the people who wish they had bigger quads

If your legs are bigger because you cycled I would think your body would catch up the other parts over time with proper training and diet, as you probably neglected the other muscles in your body, compared to legs, when cycyling. Your legs just wont out grow your body, if you train right, you will grow proportionately more or less. Its the same reasoning behind getting big arms and not training legs, its almost impossible, or very difficult at least.

I suggest you continue to do squats and dl's, you'll fill out in time.

PS. I would look at this as a strength in your body, not a weakness or flaw.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Don't look at it that your quads are disproportinatly large...

Look at it that the rest of you is disproportionately small.

Keep at it. You'll catch up to your quads in no time.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    good points, thanks.

Deads will help your back, abs, chest, shoulders, traps. fingerzzz.

Yep. deadlift. Deadlift until you pass out and your brain pops. lol

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    how bout seperate your shoulders and chest workout?

Wannabebig Member
    i don't know how i could separate shoulder and chest workouts and still hit them both twice a week. plus, isn't a chest workout necessarily working your shoulders to some extent anyway?

How much do you squat? OH yeah I agree with Drew, Deadlift till you cant deadlift nomore.

Wannabebig Member
    The heaviest I squatted was 225 for 8 reps, but one week ago I started lowering the weight and going for 12-15 rep sets. Just to give you some perspective, I can only bench 135 for 8 reps, just barely, and can only do dips on the gravitron machine.