Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Universe Triceps Tip

Mr. Universe Triceps Tip

A former Mr. Universe showed me this exercise several years ago when I got a chance to train with him. His name is Lance Dreher and he had incredible arms.

The exercise is great to use at the end of your workout, but can be used at any time in any manner you wish. Here is what you do:

1) Use a pulley apparatus which will allow you to perform one-arm pushdowns.
    2) Start the set with a reverse grip, your palm facing up.
    3) Rep out until failure.
    4) Immediately switch your grip by pronating your wrist (turn it counterclockwise). Now your palm is facing down.
    5) Rep out until failure. You won't get many reps but your triceps will be SCREAMING!

During each rep with the palms-up grip get a good squeeze of the triceps at the lockout portion of the movement. Use full reps with good form. Perform only 1-2 sets in this fashion for each arm.

If you perform these correctly your triceps will burn like never before and you will get a wicked pump.

Give them a go and let me know what you think.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

ouch, i don't even need to try them to know it hurts, but i can't wait until my tricep day next week to give it a try!

yep. Next Friday fo sho.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

The Dubba Dubb-ya Wyomin' Wayne's Avatar
    Doh! I did tris yesterday... wished I read this 24 hours ago! Sounds killer, I wanna try it. Thanks, chris mason.
    "No movie makes me question my own sexuality quite like this one does." - Gyno Rhino on Pumping Iron

Yee haw.

sounds nice.. i might give it a go if i get a free machine, not gonna spend half my day waiting for it tho

If big triceps are your goal this exercise will do the trick!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Gonna try it tonight
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Dun it.. Owe :\

Originally posted by defcon
    Dun it.. Owe :\

Good stuff, eh?

I've done this before and its incredible. Definitely a good way to burn out the triceps. If I don't do arms on a day by themselves I'll finsih my chest or shoulder day off like this.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Originally posted by chris mason

Good stuff, eh?
    Great stuff

Although it sounds real tough, i'm slow to try anything that gives you a burn.

Lactic acid build up is a real no no

Can you please elaborate on why lactic acid buildup is a real no no?

While you do so, please picture Tom Platz's thighs after 50 reps with 350lbs and the subsequent lactic acid buildup which prevented the building of mass and strength in his thighs... .

Sorry, I am not trying to jump on you, but your statement is a classic example of a misapplication/misunderstanding of the physiological processes which govern our bodies. It is rampant these days with the internet and its concurrent glut of "gurus". I don't think you are dumb, I just think you are probably qouting some "guru" who was talking out of his rear.

I am glad you have joined this site where you will be able to learn to discern bodybuilding b.s. from fact.

Banned
    Interesting you should post that, Chris

I do virtually the same thing on my own, although I typically slam a few sets of 2-handed palm-down pushdowns FIRST before moving to the 1-H reverse-grips. Triceps are def. one of my strong points and I attribute it partly to this exercise.

Actually, as I recall I first tried it after reading about it in something written by Arnold....
    Last edited by Relentless; 11-04-2003 at 09:10 AM.

Sounds like a good method similar to Oliva's shoulder method, where he does all 3 delts heads at nonstop. I'll have to try this one. Thanks.
    self improvement is masturbation.. maybe self destruction is the answer - space monkey.

i've done these..and yes they do work well
    "Plan for difficulty when it is still easy, do the great when it is still small."
    -Tao Te Ching

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    -Confucius

Can you please elaborate on why lactic acid buildup is a real no no?

While you do so, please picture Tom Platz's thighs after 50 reps with 350lbs and the subsequent lactic acid buildup which prevented the building of mass and strength in his thighs... .

Sorry, I am not trying to jump on you, but your statement is a classic example of a misapplication/misunderstanding of the physiological processes which govern our bodies. It is rampant these days with the internet and its concurrent glut of "gurus". I don't think you are dumb, I just think you are probably qouting some "guru" who was talking out of his rear.

I am glad you have joined this site where you will be able to learn to discern bodybuilding b.s. from fact.
    Firstly Chris you are right, I am not dumb. Secondly I am not quoting some guru, I am applying a logic based on fact and experience.
    Lactic acid build up is caused by muscle fatigue. To reach muscle fatigue one would have to start performing reps in the higher rep range. The higher the rep range you use the lower the weight you must lift with. Using this weight will not stimulate as many muscle fibres as using a heavier weight for less reps and ultimately lead to reduced muscle growth.
    My point is not that feeling the burn or using high reps does not lead to muscle growth but that it is not as efficient or effective as other training methods.

Researchers in the UK compared a highly fatiguing weight lifting program to a far less fatiguing program (Br J Sports Med;36:370-373, 2002). The researchers concluded that fatigue isn’t a critical stimulus for strength gains, and effective strength gains can be produced without creating unnecessary fatigue.
    I know you are not pushing this type of training in any way and you never mentioned anything about fatigue etc, I am just pointing out why I do not train for the burn.

If I can get as effective if not better results without exhausting myself I will.

By the way, I am going to try the exercise but with doing 4 reps then turning and doing another two at my max weight.

all i know is that my triceps have never felt so beaten up in my life Hence, i plan to do it again.

Originally posted by ftotti10

Firstly Chris you are right, I am not dumb. Secondly I am not quoting some guru, I am applying a logic based on fact and experience.
    Lactic acid build up is caused by muscle fatigue. To reach muscle fatigue one would have to start performing reps in the higher rep range. The higher the rep range you use the lower the weight you must lift with. Using this weight will not stimulate as many muscle fibres as using a heavier weight for less reps and ultimately lead to reduced muscle growth.
    My point is not that feeling the burn or using high reps does not lead to muscle growth but that it is not as efficient or effective as other training methods.

Researchers in the UK compared a highly fatiguing weight lifting program to a far less fatiguing program (Br J Sports Med;36:370-373, 2002). The researchers concluded that fatigue isn’t a critical stimulus for strength gains, and effective strength gains can be produced without creating unnecessary fatigue.
    I know you are not pushing this type of training in any way and you never mentioned anything about fatigue etc, I am just pointing out why I do not train for the burn.

If I can get as effective if not better results without exhausting myself I will.

By the way, I am going to try the exercise but with doing 4 reps then turning and doing another two at my max weight.

Ok, first, any powerlifter can tell you high reps are not a requisite for strength gains. As this tip was from a BODYBUILDER, the point of the exercise would be hypertrophy and some strength to boot. Bodybuilders should not shy away from fatiguing the muscles.

If your sole goal is strength then this exercise may not be best suited for you. Of course, if you were responding in this thread I would have to assume strength gains were not your only goal.

To say that lactic acid buildup is a real no-no as you did is to make a poor, unsubstaniated, general statement and that was my point. If you had stated in your first post that maximal strength was your only goal and to that end lactic acid buildup may not be a good idea, and may even be counterproductive, I would not have had a problem with that statement.

Originally posted by ftotti10

I get more of a lactic acid buildup when doing sets of 6-8reps than when I rep 2 or 3. Using your logic, the 2-3 rep range promotes more hypertrphy than the range of 6-8.

You gotta draw the line between more weight or more reps somewhere, if I were to let lactic acid buildup draw that line then I'd be in for some small sets. Because I personally feel the burn quite soon.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 11-05-2003 at 06:00 PM.

Lactate is involved with any anaerobic process. It only begins to accumulate when the duration of work is too high.

As far as muscle fatigue, lactate build-up can contribute to muscular fatigue but is only the cause of it in high-rep situations....you'll know when it happens because the burning sensation becomes intense.

Strength and muscular size, in the acute sense, aren't that closely related. Fatigue should be avoided for strength training yes, but for muscular hypertrophy its practically the goal, with a few other caveats in mind.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wannabebig New Member
    i tried this today and i gotta say that it is an amazing workout. i usually do about 75 pounds for skull crushers, and 95 for close grip for tri's and i was only able to do 15 pounds for this exercise but let me say it worked really really good. i felt weak as i was doing it because it was such little weight, but when i was done my body didnt feel weak at all.

To say that lactic acid buildup is a real no-no as you did is to make a poor, unsubstaniated, general statement and that was my point.
    You are right.

"It actuality, an exercise that does not induce the burning sensation as readily may be superior for the develop of strength and possibly muscular size."

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/PumpBurn.html

I don't know if it's true but I'm now sure that pump/burn don't help for size or strength. If not my biceps and forearms should be hudge

"For example, leg press (basic and compound) is noted to be superior to leg extension (auxiliary and isolated) for both strength and muscular size"

I agree with exrx about isolation I think Jones was right : isolation exercise should be avoided like the plague
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

You guys are missing the point.

Strength gain != size gain in this context.

Lactate accumulation *can be* a side-effect of hypertrophy-inducing processes. It's not required, but its not harmful either.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock