Thread: its the shoulders man

SLOW RIDE

its the shoulders man

when i go to sleep, i wake up with sore ass shoulders, this happens sometimes, few couple times a month, and every 3 or 4 months its pretty damserious, its like if i dont sleep like a mummy i get risk of messin them up. could this be a mattress problem or is it me? anyone else have **** like this?

I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!!! Kenshiro's Avatar
    I know what you mean. The same thing happens to me when I sleep on my shoulders incorrectly. My only advice to you is to keep the Icy-Hot handy, and try to sleep on your stomach or back. Also don't ever miss a shoulder workout, I find that gets the blood flowing to my shoulders and keeps them from getting sore.
    You are already dead.

You are the one thing that gets me through my day. You are my strength when I need healing. I love you more than anyone else. I love you more than anything. I wish I could have you all the time but it would be bad for me. I think of you when I am tired, alone, or achy. I love you Optimum Whey Protein Powder.*

*Times have changed and I have found a new love that is better than Optimum Whey, and her name is Colleen. Just wanted to let you guys know. She is the best and she doesn't mind me working out religiously.

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    i'd say just try some different sleeping positions. i get that too sometimes after a hard shoulder workout. i think that it either could be that, or a small amount of DOMS. but yeah, if it gets too much have a icy-hot pack or some tylenol.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

You need to try a different matress as well as get a pillow that provides enough support. It sounds like you sleep on your side. If so, without proper support your neck will bend closer to your shoulder causing soreness.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I get the same problem sometimes, but i sleep on the floor right now so i already know the reason.
    Within 10 mins of waking up its usualy gone. but it does kinda hurt at first.
    weight: 155?
    height: 5'9"

-LONGER TERM GOALS-
    benchpress: 275x1
    military press: 160x1
    deadlift: 405x1

SLOW RIDE
    shoulders are gettin better stopped sleepin on the side, but DAM did my hip kill, still does, i give up on bed. im gonna be on the floor!

I use to have problems like this.. i'd always wake up with my neck/shoulders sore and stiff.. that was when i would sleep on my side.. i have since ( the last 4-5 months ) slept on my back and i feel great when i wake up.. for me it took a few weeks to get use to going to sleep on my back ( just felt akward ) but once i got use to it, it was great

Try a search on "impingement syndrome" or "rotator cuff." When people have shoulder problems, they often are most sore after sleeping on them. If you have "normal" shoulders sleeping on them shouldn't cause soreness, IMO.

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Originally posted by Delphi
    Try a search on "impingement syndrome" or "rotator cuff." When people have shoulder problems, they often are most sore after sleeping on them. If you have "normal" shoulders sleeping on them shouldn't cause soreness, IMO.

This is my exact problem, look into ART (active release technique) this gave me a great deal of relief when nothing else worked.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

shoulders

i know man i have bad ass shoulders man i never work the craps directly. i am an obsessive compulsive perfectionist and over the years have learned how to sleep on my arms so as not to mess up my hair in my sleep. i know that sounds crazy but anyways back to the point...sleeping like this for years made me natrually sleep like that comfortably but then again not so comfortably cus my shoulders are overhead and in flexed position and i rest my head on my arms and my shoulders have hurted all the time everyday for years. not bad ass but like training them directly is completely and totally outta the question. then again tho my deltoids are actually one of my strong points, they make my arms look small cus they greatly overpower my bis and tris. but yea i have that problem too man

SLOW RIDE
    well sleepin on my side caused it, 3 weeks later shoulder is 95% better, ben gay and training through the pain helps. if it does it again ill have to say byby to my bench again and get weaker

Wannabebig Member
    mattress is too soft, happened to me this summer.
    stats: asian / male / 6' 1" / 183 lbs (supposed to be cutting)
    lifts: bench 185x5x4, dl 245x7x4, squat 195x7x4 (don't laugh)