The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

overboard refeed day????

hey guys, my first post, okay. This may sound crazy but i have an incredible love for peanut butter. Like seriously incredible. and from reading a few posts, i see some people consume between 4000 and 7000 cals on their "refeed" day, but its mostly carbs i read (like 600g) but what about the good fat in a WHOLE FREAKIN JAR OF PEANUT BUTTER. Im dead serious, its like 3000 cals total, but like 180-200g of fat (mostly monounsaturated). Would that be something to consider on my refeed day???

Thanx

P.S. My fanstasy meal is peanut butter out of the jar, egg-nog out of the carton (christmas time) with jelly sandwiches. Weird, i know
    "to live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffer" -DMX

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

lots of people go crazy on refeed/cheat days, i do. a whole jar of pb is a lot though, it may make you feel sick and like never touching pb again. make sure its natty pb. oh yeah, egg nog=

Wow. Do not eat a whole jar of peanut butter. One of the main purposes of refeeding is to get your leptin back up, which is the purpose of overeating carbs. Loads of carbs = insulin spike. Insulin spike + dietary fat = stored fat. I'd keep it low fat.

on a refeed your suspose to refeed on primarly carbs to replenish your leptin as galileo said.. "refeeding" on peanut butter is useless and just made u a lil bit fatter :P

so drop the PB, go buy 24 muffins and a box of cereal and eat up next time.

Wannabebig Member
    what is leptin, why do i wanna get it up and what foods can i go loose on besides muffins and cereal. Like why TYPES like starchy? High GI? Sugary? Fiberous?.......
    "to live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffer" -DMX

Loosely, leptin is a hormone stored in fat cells that signals your brain to let it know how much bodyfat you carry. After a week of dieting this can drop by 50%, which will seriously slow down your fat loss because your brain is not willing to give up fat if it isn't in excess. When you refeed, you are supercomensating with carbs, which will trigger leptin to return to normal. Selecting your carbs is crucial because once your liver glycogen is full, the spillover will result in fat gain.

Starchy foods are polymers of glucose, which will not target your liver glycogen like fructose and sucrose(which is part fructose). This is one way to assure that your refeed will not end up throwing more fat on you. A little bit of fructose/sucrose is perfectly fine as it has been shown to increase carbohydrate metabolism when combined with glucose.

I do not agree with defcon when he says to go crazy with muffins and cereal. Some muffins are high in fat and sugar and almost all cereals are quite high in fructose/sucrose. Better selections for refeed foods would be low-fat bagels, pasta with fat-free cheese, pretzels, baked corn chips, and dextrose/maltodextrin based products (sweet tarts, spree, smarties, jelly beans). Remember to check labels if you are concerened.

Okay, let me get this straigt.. I understand to keep the fat low 9 i had low fat muffins and bageals on my refeed btw :P ) but i thought that kid cereals were beneficial? ive read many many posts where people have encourged the use of kid cereals..

For my next carb up im going to do this..

eat meal 1 normal, meal 2 normal, then train ( legs ). then post workout im going to use twice the amount of dextrose as i usually use, then 1.5-2 hours later have another dextrose+whey shake of same magnitude + some cottage cheese. then i will have another meal 3 hours later consisting of 4 or so slices of white bread + tuna. then 3 hours later have the same meal, then the last 2 meals of the day will be oatmeal..

So.. i have

m1 - eggs + oatmeal ( no yolks )
    m2 - eggs + oatmeal ( no yolks )
    workout LEGS
    m3 - p/w shake, 1 scoop whey, creatine, twice normal amount of dextrose
    m4 - 1/2 scoop whey, dextrose, cottage cheese
    m5 - bread + tuna
    m6 - bread+tuna
    m7 - oatmeal + eggs
    m8 - cottage cheese + some fish oil.

How does this refeed look? i will aim for about 3500 - 4000 cals, I maintain @ about 2600.

People use kids cereals for various reasons. The first reason would be because Lyle McDonald said he uses Captain Crunch. There are a few reasons that Lyle can do this. He has been using these principles for a long time now and knows his body's limits. Captain Crunch isn't exceptionally high in sugar as compared to things like Trix and Fruit Loops. Lastly, a lot of his refeeds are up to 1200g, where you can get away with 100g of fructose without any real concern.

Your refeed looks alright (I'd refeed on less calories 110-120% of maintenance), but I can't tell the protein/carb content from your outline. Just keep your protein around 1g/lb, if you're not. As far as your carb selections go...YECK! But, whatever floats your boat, I guess. I'd swap out some oatmeal for some bagels and probably get some other fun stuff in there. Fat-free ice cream bars are great, but keep it in moderation though.

For the average dieter, I'd be a bit more careful when refeeding because you can really go overboard. One thing to remember though, a refeed not only helps your diet physiologically, but also psychologically. Eating a selection of taboo foods in excess is a good way to get yourself back on track the next day. After my first refeeds, I didn't want to see another bagel again.