Thread: Teenager Issues

Wannabebig Member

Teenager Issues

Well I'm ready.

Ready to get commited to doing this... I've always danced around it, but now I'm ready.

I'm about 6'2.5" 220-225lbs, and I want to be down around 195 and muscuar instead of my size.

I'm not fat, not even chubby, just slightly big. However, I'm grossly out of shape. I'd estimate my body fat to be around 15-25% (I'm not sure).

I wanted to know where to start. I don't have a lot of time or energy with my schedule, which is very demanding, and I think I use food as a crutch at times, and eliminating that should help.

I need some info and maybe a starting point? What should I be eating? Exercising? I can't run outside right now because of asthma.

Thanks so much in advance, and I'll keep you all posted.
    Last edited by dardar; 11-17-2003 at 08:22 PM.

Welcome bro. Your first move was a good one, joining this board. I belong to several boards, few more dedicated to serious lifting as this one. Ya wanna put on muscle mass or ya just lookin to get into shape? I`m an old timer, but just started to lift really serious about 2yrs ago. Beings that your vertically gifted, I`d start hitting the weights. You`ll have to make the time to workout, there`s no way around that. I`m married with two kids and a job, and I`ve set aside an hour everyday to get my workout in. Tha wife knows that`s my time for me, ya gotta do it. Start searching this site, all of the dietary info , and workout routines you`ll be interested in are here. If I were to give you some very basic info, it`d be start a high protein diet, w/ moderate fat and complex carbohydrates,ie. whole grains, beans or legumes, brown rice. Start lifting anyway you can. But you`ll need to get yourself an olympic weight set. I got mine used from Play it Again. Start doing what we know as compound lifts. Bench press, deadlifts, and squats. Some very basic info for ya my freind. Start studying,and learning. Read, read, read !! Good Luck

You can do a lot in a little time.

How old are you?

Yes, you should probably be training with weights. 3 days a week will do it. A full body routine, a split, whatever you want to try. I'd also try to do someting active that isn't weights... play a sport, some sort of GPP/conditioning that you *can* do with asthma.

Diet is going to be a big factor, but I need to know how old you are to be able to give advice.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey guys, thanks for the advice.

I'm 17 as of right now-- 18 in February.

What types of foods should I be eating? How much? Target calorie intake? Stuff like that would be helpful in addition to the already helpful replies. Thanks all.

Well, If you wan tto los a little chub and gain some muscle I would do this:

1) Lift.

2) Improve conditioning

3) Start out around 2700 cals per day or so (you can cycle them, but over a 7 day period, you shoudl average about 2700 cals.)

4) Eat 200g of protein at a minimum.

5) Split the rest of your calories about evenly between fats and carbs (give or take)

6) Track your bodyweight. Shoot for a pound or two loss a week, but make allowances for beginning to lift, which may make things a little hard to track at first.

7) Make small adjustments as needed.

This isn't particularly complicated.. it just takes a little discipline.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.