Thread: How should I change my routine?

Wannabebig New Member

How should I change my routine?

Can anyone give me suggestions or advise? I want to gain 8-10lbs of muscle and I want more definition.

I am 26yrs old 6ft 1in, 165lbs

I started lifting weights about 18mo ago and have seen some growth and definition (gained 5 lbs); HOWEVER, I am not satisfied with my gains in terms of both size and cut. I think after 18 mo of hard core training I should be bigger. What should I change?

Here is what I do, and have done for 18 mo.

Cardio:
    Mountain bike 5 or 6 days a week for about 1 hr.

Weights:
    Monday- Chest, Triceps, Hamstrings
    -DB bench press 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -DB incline press 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -DB decline press 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -cable flys 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -cable or DB kickbacks 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -?cable/rope push downs??? 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -lunges 4x8-12 increasing weight

Tuesday- Back, Biceps, Quads
    -rows 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -lat pull downs 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -shrugs 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -back extensions no weight
    -DB curls 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -DB hammer curls 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -BB curls 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -preacher curls 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -leg extensions 4x8-12 increasing weight

Wednesday- Shoulders, Calves
    -arnold press 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -front/lateral raises 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -reverse flys 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -DB military press 4x8-12 increasing weight
    -Calf raises 4x8-12 increasing weight

Thursday- I alternate and follow Monday or Tuesday’s routine.

I use no supplements and pretty much eat anything I want.

Thanks

What's your calorie and protein intake look like? You could be lacking some nutritional needs if you've only gained 5 lbs in the last year and a half.

I would suggest a different split personally. You've got some nice exercises but you're lacking a few very important ones. I would be adding squats to your leg work outs and try to fit in some form of deadlifts. Both exercises work a lot of large, major muscles groups and will promote growth throughout your entire body.

Would you consider changing your split? You're body could probably use a different routine if that's what it's been for the last 18 months. You've more than likely adapted to that routine, even if you've increased weight your body needs new layouts and exercises every so often.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Originally posted by Tim Nissen
    What's your calorie and protein intake look like? You could be lacking some nutritional needs if you've only gained 5 lbs in the last year and a half.
    I think Tim's right. Have a look at your diet. Its the hardest part of this game. You have to have a caloric surplus to grow muscle. Even if your training routine wasn't good, you still should have gained more weight over 18months, although it probably would have been fat.

It is very difficult to drop body fat and gain muscle at the same time, especially with no supplementation. Work on bulking up, then try to cut down to get the definition you are looking for. I would at least supplement your protein intake with some whey immediately after your workouts.

Your workout routine looks good to me.

At 6'1''/165lbs, 10lbs should be easy to add with the proper diet. I was at this same place ~2 years ago.
    Last edited by Teufelhund; 11-18-2003 at 10:27 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Tim and Teufelhund,

Thanks for the advise. Great suggestion on the squats and deadlifts. Also, what kind of split would you suggest?

I have no idea what my calorie and protein intake is! I must eat about the same amount of calories I burn because my weight stays pretty much the same. What should I be looking at for a surplus of calories, and protein intake.

Thanks

Check out some of the WBB routines at http://www.wannabebig.com/category.php?cat=4

Start counting your calories and protein intake. Presumably that is your maintenance because you have not gained weight, so increase it by 250 calories a day for a week and see if you gain, if not, keep adding calories until you do. Aim to get about 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight. And check out the diet and nutrition forum