Thread: Sudden Bench Increase

Wannabebig Member

Sudden Bench Increase

Before Monday, my max bench was 275. On monday, i was feeling good so i tried 300 on my 5th set and got it once. I then tried 315 on my 6th set and also got it once. I didnt eat a whole lot more than normal on sunday and i didnt even have my protein shake. I was just wondering whats going on, not that I am complaining. What do you all think? Any outside opinions or suggestions?

I am 6'1, 230 lbs, bf between 18% and 23%. Just started really lifting hard in august of 2003.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 230 lbs.
    Bench: 315 lbs.
    Squat: 245
    Deads: 365 lbs.

You've been lifting for 3 mos and you bench 315?
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    I didnt lift at all all summer...and last year i lifted like once or twice a week but i didnt know what i was doing.

impressive lifts... as for hte sudden gains.. well, you will have some newbie gains, and maybe the previous time you didnt do your full potential, none the less, things happen.. you may go 3 weeks without an increase in the weight, then get a big jump all of a sudden..weird things happen

Re: Sudden Bench Increase

Originally posted by Rocket4Life
    Before Monday, my max bench was 275. On monday, i was feeling good so i tried 300 on my 5th set and got it once. I then tried 315 on my 6th set and also got it once. I didnt eat a whole lot more than normal on sunday and i didnt even have my protein shake. I was just wondering whats going on, not that I am complaining. What do you all think? Any outside opinions or suggestions?

I am 6'1, 230 lbs, bf between 18% and 23%. Just started really lifting hard in august of 2003.
    How long ago did you max out at 275?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    Like two to three weeks ago...maybe.

What you experienced is not an entirely unusual phenomena. I have noted the same thing in my training from time to time. I read an article by Magnus ver Magnusson (sp?) recently where he commented on the same thing. He said to be patient with strength gains and that he had gone for years without progressing in strength and then experienced a sudden gain.

I do not have a physiological reason for you, but it definitely happens. If I had to take a guess I would say that all of the physiological moons have aligned as it were and the body was able to really capitalize on it. In other words by chance your body experienced the perfect conditions for progress and therefore did.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

You got a knack for it, man. Some people are just built to bench, or built to lift in general. Could be your nervous system is great at adapting, could be your muscle insertions/structure. Either way, something clicked and your body suddenly figured out how to make good use of your available muscle.

Word of caution: You may have the bench strength of a relatively experienced trainee, but you do not have his technique. Go slow on your progression, get people to critique your form (preferably people who know what they're doing), and don't let your ego/excitement exceed what you're ready for.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig Member
    Alright...thanks a lot. Any other tips or thoughts?