The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Maintenance Diet/Split-- Plz Critique

Hi all-- new to the forum, but been lurking here and on other boards for some time. I've been lifting/"dieting" for about 2.5 years now, and have pretty much reached my major goals in terms of fat loss/physique.

Current Stats:
    5'10", ~145 lbs, ~5-7% bf
    Metabolism is hard to guage due to an extended period of dieting/weight loss, so I'm trying to slowly bring it back to normal.

Goals:
    Slowly add muscle while maintaining body composition (basically, I'm happy with the way I look, and really don't want to have to cut again, so I'm fine with fairly slow LBM gains).

My training routine/diet: (workouts listed in order)

Monday:
    Resistance:Chest/Triceps/Quads/Calves (lower volume/higher mass)
    Cardio: 30 mins low/medium intensity (stationary bike)
    Diet: 2000 cals ~60/20/20 p/c/f; carbs centered around workout
    Tuesday:
    Cardio: HIIT: 4 mins warmup, 16 mins intervals, 2-4 min cooldown
    Body Weight Training: abs
    Diet: 200 cals ~60/15/25 p/c/f; carbs at breakfast
    Wednesday:
    Resistance:Back/Biceps/Glutes/Hamstrings (lower volume/higher mass)
    Diet: 2000 cals ~60/20/20 p/c/f; carbs centered around workout
    Thursday:
    Body Weight Training: abs
    Diet: 200 cals ~60/15/25 p/c/f; carbs at breakfast
    Friday:
    Resistance:Shoulders/Traps/Biceps/Chest/Back/Triceps (high volume/lower mass)
    Diet: 2000 cals ~60/15/25 p/c/f; carbs before workout
    Saturday:
    Resistance:Quads/Glutes/Calves/Hamstrings (higher volume/lower mass)
    Diet: low/no carbs before workout; carb load/refeed after workout [need suggestions for amounts]
    Sunday:
    Rest
    Diet:~2000 cals ~40/40/20 p/c/f

Workout details:
    My plan with this is to restore leptin on the weekend and refill muscle glycogen stores, allowing me to get a solid workout in for the M/W resistance training (considering flipping W/T, so as to get the most benefit from the reload, but I like the idea of having that mini carb cycle at the start of the week). Following the W workout, I cut carb intake, and the TH/F/Sa workouts are done with the goal of total depletion/fat burning.

Diet details
    I'm in college, taking a fairly intense schedule and working, so I prepare most of my meals ahead of time. I can buy soy protein powder in bulk very cheaply from a local store, so I use it along with egg beaters, oatmeal, wheat bran and flax meal (ingredients vary depending on what kinda p/f/c ratios I want) to make meal replacement bars-- which make up 1-2 meals each day. Other protein comes from various lean sources (chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, fish). Carbs around workout/breakfast are usually outmeal/beans, and other than that carbs come from fibrous veggies. For post workout, I use whey & oatmeal on M/W/Sa, and whey & egg on other days. Before bed I'll have a shake made from FF cottage cheese and egg white powder.

I tried my first refeed last saturday, and it was somewhat unpleasant-- I may have overdone it a bit, and in my efforts to avoid fat, I may have consumed a bit too much "Olean", leading to "interesting" stomach sensations. Are refeeds needed on this diet? And what kind of cals/carbs should I be aiming for? (I've read articles on refeeds/leptin, but most of them apply to creating a fairly large caloric deficit during the week, which I don't think I'm necessarily doing-- but my bf% is pretty low, so in combined with carb cycling and excercise, might I need to replenish leptin?

Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks for any advice
    -Matt
    Last edited by fornero; 11-18-2003 at 03:45 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    hate to bump-- but any critiques?