Thread: Maintenance Diet/Split-- Plz Critique

Wannabebig Member

Maintenance Diet/Split-- Plz Critique

Hi all-- new to the forum, but been lurking here and on other boards for some time. I've been lifting/"dieting" for about 2.5 years now, and have pretty much reached my major goals in terms of fat loss/physique.

Current Stats:
    5'10", ~145 lbs, ~5-7% bf
    Metabolism is hard to guage due to an extended period of dieting/weight loss, so I'm trying to slowly bring it back to normal.

Goals:
    Slowly add muscle while maintaining body composition (basically, I'm happy with the way I look, and really don't want to have to cut again, so I'm fine with fairly slow LBM gains).

My training routine/diet: (workouts listed in order)

Monday:
    Resistance:Chest/Triceps/Quads/Calves (lower volume/higher mass)
    Cardio: 30 mins low/medium intensity (stationary bike)
    Diet: 2000 cals ~60/20/20 p/c/f; carbs centered around workout
    Tuesday:
    Cardio: HIIT: 4 mins warmup, 16 mins intervals, 2-4 min cooldown
    Body Weight Training: abs
    Diet: 200 cals ~60/15/25 p/c/f; carbs at breakfast
    Wednesday:
    Resistance:Back/Biceps/Glutes/Hamstrings (lower volume/higher mass)
    Diet: 2000 cals ~60/20/20 p/c/f; carbs centered around workout
    Thursday:
    Body Weight Training: abs
    Diet: 200 cals ~60/15/25 p/c/f; carbs at breakfast
    Friday:
    Resistance:Shoulders/Traps/Biceps/Chest/Back/Triceps (high volume/lower mass)
    Diet: 2000 cals ~60/15/25 p/c/f; carbs before workout
    Saturday:
    Resistance:Quads/Glutes/Calves/Hamstrings (higher volume/lower mass)
    Diet: low/no carbs before workout; carb load/refeed after workout [need suggestions for amounts]
    Sunday:
    Rest
    Diet:~2000 cals ~40/40/20 p/c/f

Workout details:
    My plan with this is to restore leptin on the weekend and refill muscle glycogen stores, allowing me to get a solid workout in for the M/W resistance training (considering flipping W/T, so as to get the most benefit from the reload, but I like the idea of having that mini carb cycle at the start of the week). Following the W workout, I cut carb intake, and the TH/F/Sa workouts are done with the goal of total depletion/fat burning.

Diet details
    I'm in college, taking a fairly intense schedule and working, so I prepare most of my meals ahead of time. I can buy soy protein powder in bulk very cheaply from a local store, so I use it along with egg beaters, oatmeal, wheat bran and flax meal (ingredients vary depending on what kinda p/f/c ratios I want) to make meal replacement bars-- which make up 1-2 meals each day. Other protein comes from various lean sources (chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, fish). Carbs around workout/breakfast are usually outmeal/beans, and other than that carbs come from fibrous veggies. For post workout, I use whey & oatmeal on M/W/Sa, and whey & egg on other days. Before bed I'll have a shake made from FF cottage cheese and egg white powder.

I tried my first refeed last saturday, and it was somewhat unpleasant-- I may have overdone it a bit, and in my efforts to avoid fat, I may have consumed a bit too much "Olean", leading to "interesting" stomach sensations. Are refeeds needed on this diet? And what kind of cals/carbs should I be aiming for? (I've read articles on refeeds/leptin, but most of them apply to creating a fairly large caloric deficit during the week, which I don't think I'm necessarily doing-- but my bf% is pretty low, so in combined with carb cycling and excercise, might I need to replenish leptin?

Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks for any advice
    -Matt
    Last edited by fornero; 11-18-2003 at 03:45 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    hate to bump-- but any critiques?