The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Eating clean?!? Can you critique?

I've been reading these forums for a while, and everyone keeps saying that you have to eat clean in order to lose weight. I just wanted to know what constitutes eating clean? Or maybe someone can tell me what is eating dirty?

Considering I eliminate obvious pitfalls like high simple carb foods like sugary drinks (never drink it anyway), what does the rest consist of?

My stats are: 5'11", 179lbs, 17%bf, 23 years old
    My diet is usually:

7:30 : Kashi go lean cereal (high fiber cereal, no sugar), 1 cup milk

10:30 : 2 egg yolks, 4 eggwhites omelette with 3 strips of bacon that have the fat cut off, and only meat and trace fat left. I also continuously drain any melted fat while panfrying. Also have 2 slices of WW bread.

12:30 : 2 90% lean sirloin beef patties with 2 slices WW bread, sometimes veggies are thrown in or I'll have chicken or fish instead

2:00pm : lettuce and baby carrots raw to snack on, or a banana

6:00pm : <gym>

7:00pm: GNC 100% Protein shake, 2 scoops 40g protein

8:00pm: 1 serving chicken/fish/lamb and some veggies stirfried with some spices and soya sauce, little canola oil used.

10:00pm: Small serving of cottage cheese or nuts + multivitamin + fish oil cap.

I snack on pecans/almonds or peanuts if I get the munchies.

I'm wondering if this is a cutting diet or a bulking diet...I seem to be eating more food than ever in my life, but what defines a cutting or bulking? Is it just the calories above or below maintenance or the quality/quantity of food?

Should I be eating something that will benefit cutting but not bulking etc...I'm really confused about it.

I work out 5 days a week Mon-Fri 2 days cardio, different body part each day, heavy lifting. My pulse is usually racing from lifting, and I'm sweating before even hitting the cardio.

Appreciate your help. I'm trying to get lean and muscular and am planning on going on a cutting diet for a month or 2 before moving to a bulking. I've had a belly and "love handles" all my life, but dont look fat in clothes. Help me get lean... .I'll do anything!!!
    Last edited by tubstain1; 11-18-2003 at 11:34 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yeah man, that's a pretty clean diet you've got.

Bulking/cutting relates to the quantity of calories you're taking in. The foods can all be the same, just alter the quantities.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    Hmm, so I wonder if I'm on a bulking (eating too much) or cutting diet.

Just to know what to avoid, what is not eating clean? Is that just not breaking up your meals into smaller ones, and or stuffing yourself silly?

I want to get my weight to about 170 lbs....that's 9-10 lbs I intend on losing. Is losing a pound every 2 weeks a good goal or, should that be a pound every week? I have muscle, I just have a lot of subcutaneous fat as well, so ideally I dont want to lose the muscle that I do have (hence the high protein diet and weightlifting).

Not eating clean would be eating crap like fast food, empty calories like sweets etc.

What makes a diet bulking or cutting is just whether you gain or lose weight with it respectively. You could go on a clean bulk and eat healthy foods with the fat coming from good sources like EFAs, nuts, fish and oils, and minimise the amount of fat you gain by gaining at a slow and steady rate, or you could bulk in a non clean fashion by eating everything in sight

Try eating that much food for a week and see if you lose or gain weight or stay the same. Then adjust the calories accordingly until you're losing. Half a pound a week is a good target to minimise muscle loss.