The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Raise The Fist

Calling People Experienced With Rotator Cuff Problems

Last February I injured my rotator cuff and stopped all forms of lifting till about August in order to let it heal after doctor's orders, while only doing certain rotator cuff strengthening exercises.

Ive returned to the gym since the past month and a half, lifting ligthly, but whenever i try to lift something slightly challenging, say 15-rep max or 12-rep max (i dont go to failure, just use a weight which is sufficiently heavy to actually feel your muscles doing some work) i always get long lasting pain in my shoulder the following day which lasts for about a week, during which i try to rest the shoulder hoping it will recover..

So my question basically is, how did u guys who have had rotator cuff problems resume your training? are there any exercises i should avoiding doing now that im just beginning to get back at it? any tips to speed up full recovery?

thnx
    "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." - Che
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man" - Che
    "Democracy today is the same as in the days of ancient Greece, freedom for the slave owners."
    - Lenin

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I had rotator cuff problems in my left shoulder when I started working out due to inproper benching form, not warming up and just being stupid. I think I made such great progress when I started lifting that my rotator cuff couldn't keep up with the pace of my muscles. I hardly have any pain anymore, this is what has worked for me

1)No barbell incline or millitary, I stick to DBs with both of these exercises, DBs aggrivate the shoulder much less

2)Before every workout (even on leg day) I take the 5-10 lb DBs and do some 'field goals', millitary presses and lateral raises. usually just one or two sets, and not to failure

3)When doing flat barbell bench, make sure to keep your shoulder blades back, and bring the bar to the top of your abs/bottom of your chest. Briniging it higher has tended to aggrivate the problem

Just doing these 3 things has drastically improved my shoulder

Raise The Fist
    thnx for the feedback thetopdog. Just one query, what grip do you use in pressing exercises?
    "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." - Che
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man" - Che
    "Democracy today is the same as in the days of ancient Greece, freedom for the slave owners."
    - Lenin

I have the outer rings at the middle of my palms. So bascially shoulder width grip. I don't really think about it, I just go with what feels right

I also do close grip benching on chest/tri day

Hey, I see you're in Cyprus. I went there when I was about 10. From what I remember, it was a nice place

This is a tough question however I'd suggest that if you continue with your pressing motions that you,

1. stop at 90 degrees (elbows in line with the shoulders)

2. turn your plams in instead of having them face out

3. warm your external rotators up before your workouts

4. stay away from barbells

Good luck!
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Raise The Fist
    thetopdog: heh well Cyprus isnt bad, but compared to other European countries it still needs a lot of development..

Maki:thnx for the tips, i dont do any exercises with barbells, but i use chest press machines. do you think i should drop that and go for flat bench dumbell press instead?
    - Lenin

Originally posted by RainerG9
    thetopdog: heh well Cyprus isnt bad, but compared to other European countries it still needs a lot of development..

Maki:thnx for the tips, i dont do any exercises with barbells, but i use chest press machines. do you think i should drop that and go for flat bench dumbell press instead?
    I think (I'm not sure though) that the chest press machine would be easier on your shoulders, but the flat BB bench would be better for your chest development

Raise The Fist
    StevenEric, thnx for the reply, good luck with the shoulder
    - Lenin

bulking
    I got the same problem (well not really), my rotator cuff is just sprained/a little irritated, and it doesnt really hurt that much during the day just at a few movements I can feel it. But it aint bothering me that much though. The weird thing about it is that last week when I went to train shoulders I was like, "ok im gonna see how it feels, if it hurts just a little i'll quit right away". But like during my workout, (I did a few warmup sets btw) it didnt hurt at all, I could pretty much go fullbore on my workout without feeling any pain. So like next day when I wake up the pain is back but twice as bad (still not that bad that I cant move my arm or something). Three days later, stupid as I was, I decided to train my back, did chins and heavy db rows, dl's and some other exercises and again during the workout my shoulder didnt hurt but the next day the pain came back twice as bad.

So right now I havent trained for 4 days to give it some time to heal but the thing is I was wondering if I could still do squats do (they involve the shoulders) and/or train legs? And should I start doing rotator cuff exercises right now (to get the blood flowing too) or after it's healed? And should I ice it or heat it?

Also I read some guy say that you should do 3 sets of 20 pushups a day with ice straight after to speed up the healing process...?

Originally posted by thetopdog
    1)No barbell incline or millitary, I stick to DBs with both of these exercises, DBs aggrivate the shoulder much less
    I gave up barbell bench for dumbell bench because i too had a shoulder problem. It didn't get to the point where i experienced pain using the barbell, it just liked to click while i was benching which i also suspect was due to bad form. But anyway, I'm glad that i switched to db's because i have pretty much no problems with my shoulders on that exercise.
    "It's a good weight... for a small woman." -Dorian Yates

No expert here at all, and I don't think this contradicts anything said.....

The bench machine (are you lying or sitting?)
    allows me, with my sucky shoulders, to move more weight.
    Go easy when you switch to DBs.

Originally posted by jinxx

Also I read some guy say that you should do 3 sets of 20 pushups a day with ice straight after to speed up the healing process...?

I don't think that would help at all. The problem isn't with the internal rotators (which get worked PLENTY by bench) but with the external rotators. Do some external rotator work (like Maki suggested): http://t-mag.com/html/52balan.html