Thread: Glute/ham benches

Glute/ham benches

Can anyone comment about this manufacturer? The bench seems VERY inexpensive. It has me a little worried, but it is almost worth the risk.

http://www.yukon-fitness.com/prodinf...tem=9&mitem=15

Wannabebig Member
    I think you've linked the wrong thing, that's a hyper extension not a glute ham raise.

If that's what you meant then you've got the movements mixed up. Look here to see a GHR and the bench it's done on:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...eHamRaise.html

Looks ok. Then again, looks can be deceiving. Check on return policy.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Not all glute/ham benches have that pad at the bottom.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

If she's included I'd pay double

Seriously though it looks like a pretty good deal, I'd check the return policy like Max said though to be sure.

Wannabebig Member
    A glute ham bench doesn't have to have an extra pad at the bottom but then it will have a larger round pad which on a decent bench will be angled. A hyper ext bench can be used for glute ham raises if the foot pad can be moved forward enough to allow the knees to sit over the pad. But then the exercise works very differently from doing it on a proper GH bench.

That said, the bench you've picked is actually one of the better hyper benches for the glute ham movement, but it will not work nearly as well as an actual GHB. Here's something I dug up for you from another forum about the exact same bench, see what you think:

"I use the Yukon one, I am 245, the guy I got it from and train with on a regualr basis is 300+; it has held up for 3+ Years and is still going strong.

How to alter your Yukon Hyperextension Bench so it can be used as a Glute Ham Bench Post #1
    I use a Yukon GHB on a regular basis. Out of the box, it's not a Glute Ham Bench at all, but rather, a hyperextension bench. The pad is not solid at all.

Rebuild the pad by taking two 12" circle 3/4" plywood and cutting it in half. You will end up with 4 half moon shaped pieces. Attach those to the plywood base of the pad, one on each end, the other two evenly spaced out in the center. Use 1"x1"'s and screw them across the plywood “half moon’s” to form the underlying hump. Visit a foam store and get some hi-density 2" foam cut for cushioning. Pick up some vinyl for the cover.

The toe plate is also too small, weld steel plates onto the existing structure so it is about 13" or so long. The toe plate needs to be bigger than your foot to allow for maximal calf recruitment from this movement

It's an ok setup, and works (quite well really) if you want to put the work into it.

If you do not want to (or are unable to) put the work, or really like professionally made machines, check out www.sarden.com. He just came out with a GHB which is well made.

Erm"

It was also mentioned that the quality of the Yukon bench wasn't that high, especially the padding and wouldn't stand up to alot of heavy work, but for light home use it should be fine.
    Last edited by Chae; 11-19-2003 at 02:44 PM.

I do my glut ham work on the floor

Kc

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    What makes it a glute-ham machine and not just a back hyperextension machine is the flat plates that are there to push the bottom of your feet against. Hyperextension machines don't have that...they just have the pads to lock your ankles in place.

The type of pad up front really doesn't matter that much, since you adjust the machine so that your thighs are resting against it and not your midsection (the positioning in the first picture posted is therefore not right but the second one is).

Doing glute-ham raises on the machine is great b/c you get a larger range of motion than on the floor AND you can easily add weight by holding plates to your chest. It also keeps your kneecaps from being ground into the floor

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

That Yukon machine can be used for GHR's. If you look around it's the only sub-$500 machine that lets you alter the distance your feet and the large knee pad. I haven't used this particular machine but I have their seated calf raise machine. It's of excellent quality. I ended up making a wood platform that sits on the safety bars of my power cage for GHR's, hypers, and reverse hypers. I rigged it up with some bars and pads from and old preacher curl attachment I had lying around. Total cost for mine was < %50. I'll post a pic of it later tonight if I get a chance.

Thanks for the responses.

I am going to order this. Since the foot thing is adjustable back/forth and up/down I figure i can do GHRs on it, if not it will become my hyper/roman chair dohicky.

Damn cheap though.

I'll let you people know how it goes.

Wannabebig Member
    I know a few people that have the Yukon GHR. The only complaint has been the size of the toe plate. They all have had a larger piece of diamond plate welded on. I can't decide between that on or the New York Barbell GHR. Both are about the same price with shipping. New York Barbell
    Last edited by VTA; 11-20-2003 at 05:07 AM.

What is this guy doing here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have no ****ing clue. Never seen that before.

Icerr: I put a pad under my knees when I do my floor GHR's. Can't imagine doing them w/o a pad. Very painful I would guess.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Just to let everyone know. This company sucks ass!

I ordered the bench in nov, was told it would be a week on backorder. Yeah, still no contact from them, or a bench.

**** yukon!

Damn, that's too bad, because that's an awesome price for a GHR.

Hell, I'd buy one for that price.
    Last edited by Saint Patrick; 01-01-2004 at 08:32 PM.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Do a charge back on your credit card.