Thread: Newbie needs routine help

Wannabebig Member

Newbie needs routine help

Hi everyone, Im new to these boards as you cant tell by the thread title and was wondering if some veterans could help me out. I am 17 I have been lifting and dieting for about 4 months now. I was 210 lbs with almost 30% body fat when I started lifting. I am now 166 lbs and around 16% body fat. My routine looks like this

-Monday-
    chest
    tris
    abs

-Tuesday-
    Cardio
    body weight excersises (such as pushups, situps, hindu squats, hindu pushups)

-Wednesday-
    Shoulders
    traps
    abs

-Thursday-
    rest

-Friday-
    Cardio

-Saturday-
    Bi's
    back

-sunday-
    Cardio

I usually do 3 or 4 excersises with 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps each
    for cardio I run 21 or more miles a week usually 7 miles 3 times a week. (is this to much?)
    I would like some advice on a consistent routine I could do because I usaully just pick any excersise for a body part and do it. I just feel like I'm floundering because I have no real direction when I workout. My goals are to get to 10% bf or below and bench at least 200 for my workout sets ( I bench 165 for 3 sets 8-10 reps right now) I also want a six pack. Any info you guys can give will be geatly appreciated. I also supplement with whey protien powder and creatine. Mostly I am looking for what excersises to do for what body part and how many.
    Thanks in advance.

Nick

Sounds like you are doing something right - that's some awesome progress in 4 months.

I'd drop the bodyweight stuff, and train legs. Have a look at some of the articles here for some training ideas.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    For your goal of benching 200lbs, then simply keep doing heavy benching.

Thats what I can bench, 200, and found the best way to get here was to bench x2 per week and alternate reps and poundage.

E.G

starting weight 165lbs
    do 1/2 heavy sets, aim to be able to do 5/6 reps with this. When you can do 6 perfect reps, add 5lbs and repeat.
    When you get to 185lbs for 6 reps, take a week off from benching.
    Then go back and drop to 175lbs for your working set, and aim to press it 12 times.
    Eventually you`ll be benching 185 for 12 reps, and this weight will then feel light to you.Your strength increases will be very rapid during this period, so expect to get to 185 within 2 weeks easy.
    Now add 10lbs(195lbs) and start aiming for 5/6 reps again, and so on.
    You`ll prob be able to lift this 2/3 times.
    I found this worked better in my benching as it stopped my muscles getting bored and stagnating. I tried this because i`d been floundering on 190 for ages.

Hope this helps.

Wes.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys, anyone else have anything to add?