The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    If anything it is cool this was bumped for people to read who have not read it before.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Not sure how this got bumped, but I'm glad. Just found chart I can use.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Bump.. found this while searching for something else.. great read.

Bump again. A lot of good discussion and points raised by both DC and Songsangnim in the thread. Read and decide for yourself.

good bump joey. I had to fix the title. Always bugged me it was spelled wrong.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Good call Connor!

joey, you used to train with these ideas, correct? how did it pan out for you over time? anything strike you as particularly effective or ineffective? i think bill used to do DC training also.. but not sure if he still posts here.

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    joey, you used to train with these ideas, correct? how did it pan out for you over time? anything strike you as particularly effective or ineffective? i think bill used to do DC training also.. but not sure if he still posts here.
    Others have as well. Myself and Jaydub have dabbled. I did it for about 9 months up until a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it. Got stronger for sure. The key to it is progession. I found beat each body part more often was tough on my joints. I never quite got the cruises down and that was probably why I was always feeling beat up.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    I will try to devote time for a more thorough answer tomorrow. For now I will say if I was not training at a powerlifting gym, and doing a split more for that, I would be training DC style without a doubt.

I am no authority on DC training by any means. There is a ton of information about it available to those who want to find out about it. A lot of information is on this thread, but a good bit is dated. If this thread piques your interest, check it out. Be warned though, DC training is not for the faint of hear. It is without a doubt the most draining type of training one will do. Physically, mentally, and at times emotionally. One might read that statement and feel I am embellishing it. Those you have done it, will most certainly agree.

DC is great because it focuses on the important things, especially in the 2 way split. Heavy lifting, mainly compound lifts, big eating, and recovery. One thing a person needs to be able to do is realize when they have to turn it back a notch, because with DC training that point comes quick. Push too hard for too long and it could destroy months of progress. This is especially true for the non-enhanced lifter. Is it a better program than others? Not for me to say. I liked it because you always have a purpose in the gym. Beat the last workout. Being a lifetime competitive athlete, that appeals to me. Not to say in other programs you don't try to progress, but no other focuses on workout to workout progression like DC.

Would I have made the same progress over the same period of time had I done something else? Probably, my lifting usually has a purpose. During that time I wanted to gain size. I put on close to 30 lbs in a relatively short period of time, but again was that training or eating? And as much as I like the progression based nature, it wears on you. Especially as a natural. Not to say it won't if you have some super supplements as well. Near the end of my last time doing DC I was beat up all the time. Still making progress, but just beat up. Also, my goals came back to wanting to increase my bench, squat, and deadlift. More on lifting for the movements than lifting for body parts.

Some advantages of DC training are it is better when you train on your own, there is variety each workout and each workout is gameday. I didn't like deadlifting on upper body days. I am not a fan of high rep free weight squatting on a frequent basis. I like it for a challenge once in awhile. I don't like trying to progress in weight on it from workout to workout. I don't like a lot of machine leg exercises like leg press, hack squats, and v-squats. But, you need to have variety to make the program work.

The most important thing about the program is being able to generate internal intensity. Think of the most intense set of squats you have ever done. You need to attack each rest-pause or straight working set like that when you are blasting. It may be hard to relate to it when you haven't done it, but you need to be able to put the same amount of intensity and focus into calf raises and barbell curls as you do with squats and deads. It is not a program for beginners and not a program for most here who frequent this board. If one gets to a level where they are able to do it properly, they will certainly reap the rewards. But, if one gets to the level that they are ready for DC, they will more than likely progress with anything they do. It is not a magic pill. Just another style of training for those intense enough to do it.

I have always considered it a solid program. In the end, it is basically a twist on HIT training and a lot like what Dorian used to do.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    There are three steps :
    1. Extreme stretching: Stretching is an important part of the recovery process in DC Training. There are specific stretches for the chest, triceps, biceps, shoulders, back, quads, hamstrings and calves.
    2. Diet: The DC Training diet is very high in protein with a recommended intake of between 1.5 to 2.0 grams per pound of body weight.
    3. Periodization: The "blasting" phase is 6-12 weeks of high intensity, all-out training followed by a "cruising" phase of 10-14 days of maintenance training before repeating the cycle once again.

I DRANK YOUR MILK DieselWarrior's Avatar
    I used the DC concept today for biceps for the first time, my god where has this been in my cycle?!!? I had a sweet pump and I truly felt it was more grueling than any volume training I had done in the past, and just about all my training has been volume based.

At this point, I am willing to give DC a hard shake, Ill run it for 5 or 6 weeks as is suggested and hope to post back with "long term" feedback later. Oddly, after only 1 try Im pretty much sold though.

Take care all,
    Andrew
    42 years old, 5'9", 245lbs, wannabeBIG with muscle!
    "If you wanna be diesel, you gotta first be a warrior!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDV_9Ys7ftc

This is actually fairly similar to Bill Starr's intermediate 5x5, which has been working well for me.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by DieselWarrior View Post
    I used the DC concept today for biceps for the first time, my god where has this been in my cycle?!!? I had a sweet pump and I truly felt it was more grueling than any volume training I had done in the past, and just about all my training has been volume based.

At this point, I am willing to give DC a hard shake, Ill run it for 5 or 6 weeks as is suggested and hope to post back with "long term" feedback later. Oddly, after only 1 try Im pretty much sold though.

Take care all,
    Andrew
    Keep your rep ranges a little higher than recommended, and be cognizant of your recovery. It isn't 5-6 weeks, it is blast until you can't blast anymore, than cruise. Make sure it is the best option for you, read up on it, and go all out if you decide to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    I am no authority on DC training by any means. There is a ton of information about it available to those who want to find out about it. A lot of information is on this thread, but a good bit is dated. If this thread piques your interest, check it out. Be warned though, DC training is not for the faint of hear. It is without a doubt the most draining type of training one will do. Physically, mentally, and at times emotionally. One might read that statement and feel I am embellishing it. Those you have done it, will most certainly agree.

DC is great because it focuses on the important things, especially in the 2 way split. Heavy lifting, mainly compound lifts, big eating, and recovery. One thing a person needs to be able to do is realize when they have to turn it back a notch, because with DC training that point comes quick. Push too hard for too long and it could destroy months of progress. This is especially true for the non-enhanced lifter. Is it a better program than others? Not for me to say. I liked it because you always have a purpose in the gym. Beat the last workout. Being a lifetime competitive athlete, that appeals to me. Not to say in other programs you don't try to progress, but no other focuses on workout to workout progression like DC.

Would I have made the same progress over the same period of time had I done something else? Probably, my lifting usually has a purpose. During that time I wanted to gain size. I put on close to 30 lbs in a relatively short period of time, but again was that training or eating? And as much as I like the progression based nature, it wears on you. Especially as a natural. Not to say it won't if you have some super supplements as well. Near the end of my last time doing DC I was beat up all the time. Still making progress, but just beat up. Also, my goals came back to wanting to increase my bench, squat, and deadlift. More on lifting for the movements than lifting for body parts.

Some advantages of DC training are it is better when you train on your own, there is variety each workout and each workout is gameday. I didn't like deadlifting on upper body days. I am not a fan of high rep free weight squatting on a frequent basis. I like it for a challenge once in awhile. I don't like trying to progress in weight on it from workout to workout. I don't like a lot of machine leg exercises like leg press, hack squats, and v-squats. But, you need to have variety to make the program work.

The most important thing about the program is being able to generate internal intensity. Think of the most intense set of squats you have ever done. You need to attack each rest-pause or straight working set like that when you are blasting. It may be hard to relate to it when you haven't done it, but you need to be able to put the same amount of intensity and focus into calf raises and barbell curls as you do with squats and deads. It is not a program for beginners and not a program for most here who frequent this board. If one gets to a level where they are able to do it properly, they will certainly reap the rewards. But, if one gets to the level that they are ready for DC, they will more than likely progress with anything they do. It is not a magic pill. Just another style of training for those intense enough to do it.
    Except for the heart typo, this is one of the best posts I think I have ever made.

I ran DC on my workout today, the thing that got me the most is behind the back forearm curls, I swear my tampon fell out on that one! That had to have been one of the hardest forearm sessions Ive ever had!

God bless you DC!

Thanks to David, I got this video from Netflix, its what he uses I think exclusively. Anyway, I learned about DC from this video, and he does a great job demonstrating it the video. This is not quite the super boring workout DVD, David TALKS TO YOU about what he is doing, and it helps make a lot of sense out of what you are seeing.

Thanks to Dave for the video bro, thanks so much!

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/David_H...0?trkid=226870

Andrew