The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Powerlifting whilst trying to lose weight.

I've been trying to lose weight for the last 4 or 5 months now, and I trained higher reps for the majority of the time of that duration. I lost approximately 30lbs in that time. I noticed a lot of my muscle density went away and felt almost worst or flabbier than when I first started. I recently started doing 5x5 for my compound barbell movements, and varying rep ranges between 10-6 on my alternate exercises. I have noticed some of my muscle density has come back and my weight hasn't gone up at all. In fact my weight is some what dropping although it still fluxuates day to day. Also instead of doing cardio immediately after weight training I go home and drink protein mixed with water than an hour later eat my next meal than wait another hour after that and go back and do my treadmill speed intervals. Here is my journal if you need further details http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...ard-or-Go-Home
    Constructive criticism will be taken into consideration. This is also my first post in any main forum other than my journal.
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 295
    HEAVIEST WEIGHT: 350
    CURRENT WEIGHT GOAL: 275
    MID TERM GOAL: 260
    LONG TERM GOAL: 245

LEAN, STRONG, BIG, FAST, HEALTH, AND CONDITIONING.... WHY PICK ONLY ONE?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Looks pretty good to me. You are doing the big three lifts and doing them heavy. Eating decent. And still losing weight. Sounds good. I am doing the same thing.although I am on Starting Strength for a program. it is just really simple for me. Keep going!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

That muscle density you speak of was fat and water pushing out against your skin. At least that's what I think. I am cutting also. I am down 50 lbs and feel smaller and fatter. It's an in between stage. You are not alone. Bodyfat measurements can reassure you that you are doing things correctly. I'm no expert, it's jmho.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Wannabebig Member
    I understand where you are at.

I started measuring my body fat % last month, and after a month i was sure that i had actually gone backwards, then when i took my measurements it turned out i had dropped 1% or so of bodyfat while maintaining my weight.

I wouldn't say I'm power lifting, but I am cutting weight/body fat and trying to retain strength and muscle mass.

I am attempting carb cycling and a little shift in my training.

I eat moderate carbs on my training days (Mon, Tues, Thurs Friday), 0 carbs (or as low as possible) on Wednesday and Sunday, and allow myself to eat whatever I feel like on Saturdays.

My training is set up so I lift heavy on Mondays (squat, bench, chins) and Thursdays (squat, SOHPress, One armed Rows). All those heavy ifts are in the 3-5 set and 3-5 rep range. On Tuesdays I power clean and do conditioning work for 6-10 minutes and on Fridays I dead lift followed by 6-10 minutes of conditioning.

So far so good. I am about a week in and am 12lbs down from last months peak weight and my lifts seem to be doing ok. I had to reset my squat and dead lift though due to a back injury, so im not sure where those numbers would be at.

Follow my journal for the next couple months and we will see how this plan goes.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Wannabebig Member
    I don't think it was water, and fat pushing against the skin because I have actually lost weight since than and my muscle density is awesome right now. I feel thicker muscle wise and less jiggly as well as tighter. The muscle got soft when I stopped lifting heavy because the muscle didn't need to lift that weight anymore. As soon as I demanded it to lift heavy weight the muscle got harder over the past few weeks. I wouldn't go back to the way I was training before even though it was good conditioning I wasn't happy with the way I was looking. I'm actually down to 293.5 now which is awesome especially since I feel strong and tighter
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 295
    HEAVIEST WEIGHT: 350
    CURRENT WEIGHT GOAL: 275
    MID TERM GOAL: 260
    LONG TERM GOAL: 245

LEAN, STRONG, BIG, FAST, HEALTH, AND CONDITIONING.... WHY PICK ONLY ONE?