The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

problem with squats

ok, heres my problem. ive been training for about a year and was squatting 3x a week, for the past 6 months ive been squatting 2x a week cause since my numbers have gone up a lot 3x is just to much for me to handle.

just a ltitle info on me, im 5'8 185. i squat 290 for 5x5 on monday and 315 for 5x3 on friday. each week ill swap out on monday for 3x10 or so i keep from gettin stuck. Even light squats like 225 make my knees hurt.

my problem is as of lately the past 3 weeks my knees have really been starting to hurt during squats. both of them, on the inside and outside of my knee cap. i squat with good form i know that for sure. i think it could be the shoes im wearing but im wearing flat foot shoes so they should be fine for squatting.

its getting to the point where i have to cut my sessions down because my knees hurt so bad. im really thinkin about squatting 1 x a week or cut out squatting for 2 weeks to see if it fixes it.

anyone have any advise on what to do or if they have experienced this?
    Last edited by tcooper; 03-29-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

would using knee wraps be a bad idea?

ive had a history of knee problems from sports when i was in school. now my knees pop when i go up stairs etc and sometimes my knees give out when walking.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

If they are giving out while walking you should definitely get them looked at. That isn't normal.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

they dont do it all of the time. maybe like once every couple of months. but ive noticed since ive started lifting they havent done it at all. i hate going to a orthopedic man, they doc comes in and looks at you for 20 secs hands you a script and leaves. that **** gets old
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

I've been told flat foot shoes are great for dead lift (barefoot is better) but you need a shoe with a heal to help with squats and keeping the heal on the ground thus reducing the stress on your knees, at least it did that for me.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I can only speak for my own experience, but I had the same kind of pain. I went to a phys therapist who does Postural Restoration (you'll have to look it up). Ultimately, in short, I was putting too much weight forward on the balls of my feet during squatting, which was strengthening my leg muscles out-of-balance. Essentially, what I was doing was slowly pulling my knee joints out of their natural alignment with some muscles in my legs getting strong, but others falling behind.

I realize that sounds like a bit of progressive hocus-pocus. But I've been doing the phys therapist's exercises to correct it for just a week, and my pain is about half of what it used to be. Here's my post from a week ago:

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...ical-therapist
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

ok, well today i played a pickup game of basketball at the ymca. and after about 20 mins of playing i felt the same freakin pain in both of my knees that i feel when i squat.

i dont get it guys. im only 22, ive never had this kind of pains in my knees until i started squatting. and the pain just started about 2-3 weeks ago, after about a full year of squats

i know my form is good, i dont squat on the balls of my feet. im about 100% sure that its not my form. i dont know what it is, but its getting annoying.

like i said this happens when i squat 135 or 335. they still hurt. i think im going to cut squats out of my routine for the next 2-3 weeks and let my knees try to heal up or something.

im making an appoitment for a orthopedic doc for next week. if anyone else has any ideas throw em out there
    Last edited by tcooper; 03-30-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

Tendonitis?
    ďAs to the methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.Ē

ive really started thinkin about that tkisner.

but would doing something as squats cause it? because ive never had any knee problems in my life, and i played sports all the throughout school
    Last edited by tcooper; 03-30-2010 at 04:42 PM.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

do you do much hamstring work? box squats, RDLs, hip work, GHR?

I used to have knee problems because my quads were dominant.. Once I started box squatting and hitting hamstrings really hard, my knee problems went away.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

no i dont jsully, i didnt even think of that!

the only leg work i have been doing is squats.

at this point im willing to try anytthing lol
    Last edited by tcooper; 03-30-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
    i know my form is good, i dont squat on the balls of my feet. im about 100% sure that its not my form. i dont know what it is, but its getting annoying.
    It's a pet peeve of mine when people say this... I don't care how good you are, there's always room for improvement. If you're lifting heavier, gained weight, changed the position of the bar, changed shoes, etc. it's going to require some technique adjustments!

like i said this happens when i squat 135 or 335. they still hurt. i think im going to cut squats out of my routine for the next 2-3 weeks and let my knees try to heal up or something.
    Allowing your knees to rest would be a critical first step IMHO.

Watchin Squat Rx #3 (and maybe #4) might not be a bad idea. Very likely you are not engaging the hips and hamstrings properly.
    Last edited by Sensei; 03-30-2010 at 05:56 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

i completely understand sensi

i will overview my form really well next time i go. i will make sure that i am 100% doing everything right.

but the weird thing is. to be honest my glutes have grown ALOT. i mean like its funny, my girlfriend says i have a ghetto booty.

what im getting at is, if my glutes are engaged while squatting wouldnt you think my hamstrings were also?

i believe im going to give my knees a much needed rest, overhaul my form and hit my hammys hard in a week or 2.

it just sucks cause my numbers are going up like no other but i dont want to cause any future damage. especially to my knees

thanks guys
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
    but the weird thing is. to be honest my glutes have grown ALOT. i mean like its funny, my girlfriend says i have a ghetto booty.

what im getting at is, if my glutes are engaged while squatting wouldnt you think my hamstrings were also?
    Just because your glutes have grown a lot doesn't mean they're as engaged as they could be.

I'm not a doctor, and you need a professional opinion as well as someone competent taking a good look at your squat live, but get some rest, heal up, and then examine and reevaluate.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

you also don't need to avoid hamstring work while resting your knees.. I'd still hit RDLs, GHRs, etc..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

make sure you're doing plenty of stretching which most people don't even do to begin with...and it sounds like you're quad dominant. Hit posterior chain work for the hammies, etc. and that should definately help.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

What do you do to warm-up before squats?

for warm up, i do alot of stretching of the hip flexors, quads, hammys. basicly my whole lower body. but prior to lifting anything at all i stretch my whole body out. i normally squat first so im pretty stretched out by then.

i do about 4 warm up sets up to my working set
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

What part of your knee hurts? What are your other leg excersizes? Do you foamroll your IT Bands? Have you felt a pop at some point?
    Division 1 shotputter.

for me it was similar to what bosch said... i was putting too much weight on the bawls of my feet causing that front calf muscle to grow (wtf is that muscle anyways!?) this started to cause a weird kinda burning feeling in my knees while walking and sitting...

i fixed this after taking some advice from different people. I added ham string curls at every leg workout this kinda balances out the work load...push/pull kinda thing. I always warmed up by doing 5-10minutes on the treadmill or elliptical. Someone mentioned they had the same problem and stretching helped... seems simple and obvious so i added some light stretches before working out and a good stretch after the lifts. Also some people mention that going lower helps... try using a bench behind you and doing "box squats" this is good for me as im not as much afraid of falling back and if i dont want to heavy i can lower the weight and get just much from the exercise by pausing on the bench (stopping all momentum) then powering back up.

just try focusing on keeping the weight on your heels... maybe you need to "reset" lower the weight for a workout or two and focus on improving your form...feel the contraction in the muscle really pay attention to your body.

My knees used to hurt, as well. I started taking joint supps. I re-evaluated my squat form and also started doing alot of hammie work. I have no knee pain, hardly at all and I'm not taking any joint supps.

Do go see a doc and make sure you're OK first.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench