Thread: Need some advise - Is my diet so bad?

Need some advise - Is my diet so bad?

Hi everybody, I'd like to receive some advise on my diet.
    Right now I want to lose some BF (I think I'm around 13-15%, 5' 9" ~165lbs). I'm aiming to an athletic body with low BF.
    These are my stats right now (all unflexed):
    chest: 106cm (41,73") / waist: 82cm (32,28") - target: 79cm
    hips: 92cm (36,22") / leg: 56cm (22,05")
    calf: 37cm (14.96") / neck: 42cm (16,54")
    arm: 32cm (12,6") /36,5 flexed (14,37")

I'm doing cardio 4/5 time a week, 40min each time, I also train 4 times a week using HST.
    Because I work with shift, I change my training time each week.
    When I work in the evening, I wake up at 7am, do my cardio, rest a little and then I start my workout.
    Is it okay to take a 20g protein shake after cardio, and to eat my breakfast (with some more protein) after workout?

This is what I ate this week.

Monday

Breakfast: 500cc milk (partially skimmed), 80g mixed cereal, 250cc home made pear juice.
    Snack 1: 2 tuna sandwich (120g tuna, 100g ww bread)
    Lunch: 100g pasta with pecorino cheese and pepper, 100g parmesan and a slice of smoked cheese (caciotta)
    Snack 2: 1 muesli bar (25g), 20g protein shake
    Dinner: 180g mackerel, mixed vegetables - as much as I can (eggplant, red pepper, green pepper, onions)
    Snack 3: 500cc milk or 500g skimmed milk yogurt

Tuesday

After cardio: 20g protein with water and a muesli bar (25g).
    Breakfast: 50g rye bread with honey, 350g skimmed yogurt with 20g protein, 300cc fruit juice
    Snack 1: cheese 80g
    Lunch: 90g rice, 4 eggs, 1 slice bread
    Snack 2: 300cc ps milk, peanuts
    Snack 3: 3 Kiwi, 1 apple, 1 sandwich made with rye bread (50g) and mackerel (50g)
    Dinner: 2 sandwich made with ww bread (100g) and turkey roast
    Snack 4: 500cc ps milk

Wednesday

Breakfast:
    500cc milk, 90g mixed cereals, 300cc fruit juice
    Lunch: 2 hamburgers, each one made with 75g sesame bread, 175g red meat, tomatoes, salad, robiola cheese, ketchup
    Snack 1: 100g parmesan cheese
    Snack 2: sandwich made with ww bread, pepper omelette, 80g turkey roast
    Dinner: 150g turkey roast, 120g string beans, 200g cottage cheese
    Snack 3: 500g skimmed yogurt

Thursday

Breakfast: 100g mackerel, a slice of rye bread (40g)
    Snack 1: 1l ps milk
    Lunch: vegetable soup with 50g rice, 4 eggs and maybe a slice of parmesan or caciotta cheese
    Snack 2: 500g skimmed yogurt
    Snack 3: 120g of tuna
    Dinner: 250g chicken breast, 150g string beans

Friday

20g protein shake (after cardio)
    Breakfast: 500g skimmed yogurt, 1 slice of rye bread
    Snack 1: 20g protein shake with 250cc ps milk
    Lunch: 300g codfish, 100g broccoli, 50g potatoes
    Snack 2: 100g parmesan cheese
    Snack 3: 120g tuna
    Dinner: 200g cottage cheese, 100g broccoli, 120g tuna
    Snack 4: 500cc milk

Saturday

Breakfast: 300g skimmed yogurt
    Snack 1: 500cc ps milk
    Lunch: cannelloni made with ricotta cheese and spinach, 80g parmesan cheese
    Snack 2: 200g cottage cheese
    Snack 3: 30g protein shake
    Dinner: 300g chiken breast with red and yellow pepper

Please give me your opinion
    "It is not fate that has lead us to be what we are. Nor is it entirely choice. But it is up to us to have faith that what we do is for the greater good. We must believe in ourselves."

My journal

Re: Need some advise - Is my diet so bad?

Originally posted by ghostrider
    Is it okay to take a 20g protein shake after cardio, and to eat my breakfast (with some more protein) after workout?

This is what I ate this week.

Please give me your opinion
    Its fine to drink/eat some protein after your cardio as well as your workout. Also, I would recommend that before you workout, you should consume a pre-WO shake with some carbs in it. Do this after your workout as well. Consider 25 g protein with 50 g of carbs for your PWO drink.

Regarding your diet, I'll leave it to others to critique. However, since I can't resist, I will say that overall, it looks fine to me but I'm still learning

Would you mind posting the macronutrient breakdown for each day? By that, I am referring to Total Calories, Protein, Carbs, and Fat. By tracking these things, one can get a better idea on how they're actually eating.

Thanks for the answer
    Should I take carbs before cardio? I thought that if one wants to burn fat is better doing cardio on an empty stomach as soon as you wake up.

I didn't mention it, but I drink 4/5l of water every day (is about 1.05/1.3 gallon)

Monday
    Protein : 210 / Carbs: 229 / Fat: 80 / Cal: 2500

Tuesday
    Protein: 190 / Carbs: 150 / Fat: 90 / Cal: 2300

Wednesday
    Protein: 256 / Carbs: 243 / Fat: 76.3 / Cal: 2683

Thursday
    Protein: 239 / Carbs: 113 / Fat: 97.1 / Cal: 2284

Friday
    Protein: 262 / Carbs: 112 / Fat: 59.6 / Cal: 2038

Saturday
    Protein: 202 / Carbs: 141 / Fat: 50.1 / Cal: 1830
    "It is not fate that has lead us to be what we are. Nor is it entirely choice. But it is up to us to have faith that what we do is for the greater good. We must believe in ourselves."

My journal

Grasshoppa
    Originally posted by ghostrider
    Thanks for the answer
    Should I take carbs before cardio? I thought that if one wants to burn fat is better doing cardio on an empty stomach as soon as you wake up.
    Some people say empty stomache, other say at least a protein drink before. I personally don't know...I just down some protein before and be happy.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Hi. Just some thoughts:

Your caloric intake looks to be too high for someone who is cutting. The "accepted" caloric total while cutting is usually 10-12X your body weight which should put you at 1700-2000 calories. Protein is usually at 1 g/per lb accounting for 40-50% of your overall calories. Fat is usually at 20% or so with the difference made up of carbs.

There are many factors that affect fat loss such as metabolism, activity level, and calories. Reduce your calories by 500 or so per week (or more depending on how patient you are) and monitor the results.

See what works best for you and adjust accordingly.

Regarding carbs before cardio, I've read arguments for and against it. If you're doing HIIT or some other form of high intensity cardio, then I would recommend it just so you don't crash halfway through. For moderate intensity cardio, I doubt you would need to take any carbs but if you find your energy levels to be low, then you may want to consider it.

Check the sticky thread on HIIT in the Bodybuilding/Fitness section for more information on HIIT.

Your caloric intake looks to be too high for someone who is cutting.
    Im' doing some adjustments to my diet, that why I'm asking some advise
    Protein intake is a little bit too high, in this week I will try to stay around 160g, with a 2300/2400 Cal/day.
    In my previous HST cycle, I've eaten ~3200 Cal/day and I've gained 4Kg.
    I've got a pretty fast metabolism, and if I eat only 1700/2000 calories, probably I will faint during the day. Remember that I'm doing HST 4 times a week (in a sort of circuit training style) and cardio 5 times a week (HIIT style).
    After cardio I take 15min off, drink my shake and rest; then I start my workout.

In this week I've lost almost 1Kg and my stats are unchanged.
    I'm trying to lose fat without losing muscles.

My journal