Thread: Muscle Recovery Times

Muscle Recovery Times

Is there a chance that smaller muscle groups tend to recover faster than larger muscle groups? We always hear about over training and giving your muscles adequate time to recover. But we all see the curl jockey's that curl 3 times a week or the guys that do abs every day and it seems like they actually do make great progress in those areas. So I was curious if that, being smaller muscles, they recover faster and can be worked more often as a result. I know when I was a curl jockey in high school I had awesome arms (but nothin' else ). Now my work outs are rounded out and built around compound lifts and my arms don't seem nearly as strong or big as they did in previous years. But on the flip side my back, chest and legs are getting huge and they get about 6 days rest. I hope this train of thought doesn't seem to stupid. I know muscles are muscles are muscles so it shouldn't matter. But I'm still curious to hear your thoughts.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I thought overtraining was mainly referring to the exhaustion of your CNS, not that actual muscles themselves. I think muscles recover within 48 hours.

Most of the curl jockeys I see are always doing the same weight, not that I keep track of all of them, but there's a couple that I ALWAYS see doing the same weight.
    Last edited by jww13; 11-20-2003 at 12:52 AM.
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

Nosaka K, Newton M. Repeated Eccentric Exercise Bouts Do Not Exacerbate Muscle Damage and Repair. J Strength Cond Res. 2002 Feb;16(1):117-122.

Originally posted by blowdpanis
    Nosaka K, Newton M. Repeated Eccentric Exercise Bouts Do Not Exacerbate Muscle Damage and Repair. J Strength Cond Res. 2002 Feb;16(1):117-122.
    Eccentric is the "negative" motion, right? So what exactly does this mean?
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

3:16
    curl jockeys arms can often look good as they look big a little body.
    though mnay look poor as well.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I was thinking about that after I posted this as well. Put pumped arms on a tiny frame and it's going to make them look bigger and better than they would on a proportioned body. Optical illusions get me every time

Good point B.

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

The answer to your question is a general yes. Of course, everyone has relatively "stronger" and "weaker" bodyparts, you know, the ones that grow easily and those that don't. The parts of you that grow easiest will also recover most quickly. In the general sense, the larger the bodypart, the longer the recovery.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

What chris said.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Thanks guys. So with that being said would it be okay to train those smaller body parts twice and keep larger muscle groups to once a week?

Originally posted by Tim Nissen
    Thanks guys. So with that being said would it be okay to train those smaller body parts twice and keep larger muscle groups to once a week?
    It depends how you are training. As you increase volume or intensity, you generally require more recovery time. Many weightlifting programs call for training larger muscle groups 2x per week, 3x per week, or even 6x per week. It is not unusual for olympic lifters to train full body multiple times per day. Some examples of higher frequency training that immediately come to mind are HST, Westside, DFHT, Dogcrap training, MM2K, UD2, a large portion of powerlifting and olympic lifting programs, many sports training programs, ...
    Last edited by aka23; 11-23-2003 at 05:50 PM.

Dogcrap training, eh?