Thread: lock or no

lock or no

do u lock out at the top of any movement or not? as far as intenisty goes, that is. after recently watching pumping iron i realized they dont lock out at the top of there movements,...for instance when ferigno is benching and overhead pressing. it seems it would be more intense that way seing as the target muscle remains under pressure the whole time but then again tho locking at the top gives u the oppurtunity to "squeeze" the target muscle. so what is better / more intense locking out or just pumping em out with no lock?

i think i read somewhere that not locking keeps the muscle working harder or something to that effect. i dunno

Wannabebig Member
    isnt locking your knees or elbows dangerous?

I lock out in between every rep. It's just a habit I've developed.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

The only exercise where I lock out is tricep pushdowns. Beyond that, I lock out nothing.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

holy crap

dam man i just treid that crap out not locking, first time in my life. good advice guys dam on my warm up i was already freakin had a full pump. it was chest day. that crap is intense ill never lock out again after today dam. i couldnt lift as much as i normaly can this way, and i felt my triceps actualy work during the lifts...when i lock out i get a tiny tricep pump and after my chest have to freakin bust my triceps. this way my triceps were so involved i only did 1 isolation set for tri's and failed. anyways thanx alot for the advice

As far as benching goes, it's mostly all tricep work after you reach a certain point. To hit the pecs, there is no need to lock out.
    Winners train. Losers complain.

I lock out on Deadlifts. All other exercises I stop and squaeeze the target muscle at the top of the movement, but only for half a second.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    it depends,

if i have something im doing for 8 reps or more i usualy dont lock out, usually right to the point of locking out then back down.

but for heavy stuff anything under 5 reps i lock out each rep.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Originally posted by HomeYield
    The only exercise where I lock out is tricep pushdowns. Beyond that, I lock out nothing.
    Me too.

Locking out can put unnecessary stress on the bones and joints, especially when going heavy.

Your knees and elbows are precious - look after them!