Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much mass should i see

how much mass should i see

i have been working out for about 6 eeks then had a 2 week break due to illness. How much mass should I expect to see..i can only see mass when I flex but normalie when I donít flex I donít see much at all.
    how much calories and protein should i eat and when should i take them before or after work out

Thanks steve
    Last edited by dasher; 11-26-2003 at 04:28 PM.

IMO, not much yet. That's only a month of lifting with some illness to probably set you back. Give it 3-4 good months without breaks before you should expect to see any real results. Take before and after pics to help compare. Sometimes results happen but because you see yourself everyday and results take time, you won't always be the first to notice.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

ive been going back for 2 weeks since my ilness and should i go work out harder during the holidays

thanks

You should always work out as hard as you can, holidays or not. Stay persistant and you'll see the results soon enough.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    none. for a first timer you wont actually start to gain muscle until about 2 months into lifting. those strenght gains you see at first is your body learning to lift and recruiting more fibers, so thats why you see more mass when you flex, more o your fibers are flexing. give it some time. rome wasnt built in a day. if you keep at it you should see some significant gains over the next few months to within the next year or so

keep lifting hard
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by dasher
    ive been going back for 2 weeks since my ilness and should i go work out harder during the holidays
    Lucky you! I envy you.. Taking 2 weeks off will make your muscle loose their resistance to training. That will allow you to gain much more now.

Go for it slowly and progressively. Begin with light weights. Then increase the weight every workout. Do short workouts - 1-2 sets/exercice, compound movements - 3 times a weeks. Never go to failure. It's too much for that frequency.

Eat a lot and get ready for some serious gains. You should gain 2-3 lbs of muscle per week. So check you weight regularly. If you don't gain weight at that pace, increase caloric intake.

Originally posted by Blaster
    Eat a lot and get ready for some serious gains. You should gain 2-3 lbs of muscle per week. So check you weight regularly. If you don't gain weight at that pace, increase caloric intake.
    It is unlikely for a natural bodybuilder to gain more than 1lb of muscle per week. This type of rapid gain sometimes occurs with beginners, persons who have taken a good amount of time off, or persons with excellent genetics. 0.5lb per week would be a more realistic pace for an experienced weightlifter with typical genetics. Perhaps you meant 2-3 lbs of muscle per month. As you increase your calorie intake and rate of weight gain, you would be less likely to limit muscle gains, but a larger percentage of the gained weight would be fat.

Wannabebig Member
    No, 2-3 lbs per week for a beginner is possible. If he eats enough and trains properly. I'm confident he can get that if he trains with HST.

Wannabebig Member
    No, 2-3 lbs per week for a beginner is possible. If he eats enough and trains properly. I'm confident he can get that if he trains with HST.
    Very unlikely, I don't care how well he's training, eating, and sleeping. Two to 3 pounds of muscle per week is asking a bit much.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I just dropped 20 pounds (from 174 - 154 at 5'7") doing low carb, high cardio. Now I've taken up weight training and I've changed my diet. I'm eating more (40/40/20) and trying to do the sleep thing more. I'm only on my 4th week of weight training and I haven't gained an ounce even though I'm eating a lot more calories.

I'm probably going to be eating even more as I increase the intensity of my workouts. I'm still green at this but I'm improving. I think if I can gain a pound or two of muscle per month, I'll be happy.

I sure don't want to put on all the fat I've just lost. Gaining 2 - 3 pounds per week sure won't be all muscle. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Mark

Wannabebig Member
    >>I'm only on my 4th week of weight training and I haven't gained an ounce even though I'm eating a lot more calories.

You mean you have not gained an ounce of weight or an ounce of muscle?

If you don't gain weight, you muscle gains will be far from optimal.

In the article at http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/.../eat_size.html , the founder of HST recommends starting with 500-600 calories per day above maintenance when trying to gain muscle. If I use the 3500 calorie per lb estimate, this would would be slightly over 1lb per week of mass, including both additional muscle and additional fat. Gaining more than 1lb per week of muscle is possible for some natural beginners , but I would not expect results like that , regardless of the program.
    Last edited by aka23; 11-28-2003 at 03:30 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    With 3500 calorie/day, you should gain much more than 1 lb/week. One pound of muscle is equivalent to 600 cal. You add that to your diet EVERY DAY.

And Haycock was talking about someone weighting 220 lbs, not a beginner-

>> but I would not expect results like that , regardless of the program.

I garantee that you can with HST. HST is very effective. After just 2 weeks you will see the difference.
    For instance, my arms gained about 3/8'' in my first 2 weeks on it.

If you are gaining 2-3lbs per week on a consistent basis, a lot of it will be fat. Unless you're getting some chemical assistance.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

With 3500 calorie/day, you should gain much more than 1 lb/week. One pound of muscle is equivalent to 600 cal. You add that to your diet EVERY DAY.
    It depends what your maintenence calorie intake is. Some people on this forum lose weight when they eat 3500 calories per day. I meant that it is common to estimate 3500 calories above maintenence as a lb of mass. Using this estimate 500 calories per day above maintenence would result in a 1lb per week gain (500x7=3500).

I garantee that you can with HST. HST is very effective. After just 2 weeks you will see the difference. For instance, my arms gained about 3/8'' in my first 2 weeks on it.
    Forum posts in the results thread at hsnhst.com suggest that your results are not typical, and few people gain muscle at the rate you describe. Gains in the size of your arm are not equivalent to gains in muscle. The size of your arm may increase with fat gains, changes in water retention, or changes in glycogen levels. They certainly do not imply a 2-3lb per week muscle gain.
    Last edited by aka23; 11-28-2003 at 04:34 PM.

This is debateably the most ridiculous post I've ever seen on WBB Forums.

tuttut

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by ChrisH
    If you are gaining 2-3lbs per week on a consistent basis, a lot of it will be fat. Unless you're getting some chemical assistance.
    False.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by aka23

It depends what your maintenence calorie intake is. Some people on this forum lose weight when they eat 3500 calories per day. I meant that it is common to estimate 3500 calories above maintenence as a lb of mass. Using this estimate 500 calories per day above maintenence would result in a 1lb per week gain (500x7=3500).
    hum.. don't seem to know too much about calories, do you. There's 70% water in muscle..

Incredible to see that on a BB forum..

Forum posts in the results thread at hsnhst.com suggest that your results are not typical, and few people gain muscle at the rate you describe. Gains in the size of your arm are not equivalent to gains in muscle. The size of your arm may increase with fat gains, changes in water retention, or changes in glycogen levels. They certainly do not imply a 2-3lb per week muscle gain.
    I didn't gain fat during this period. I really gained 1 cm on my arms. Usually when I get fat it is not on the arms anyways..

hum..
    Last edited by Blaster; 11-28-2003 at 08:21 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Majestic

This is debateably the most ridiculous post I've ever seen on WBB Forums.

tuttut
    me too..

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/...t=ST;f=13;t=17

Check 3rd post.

lol..

BEGINNERS BEWARE: there's a lot of BS on this forum!! SO BE SKEPTICAL OF WHAT YOU READ!.

hum.. don't seem to know too much about calories, do you. There's 70% water in muscle..

Incredible to see that on a BB forum..
    I am not sure I understand your point. The 3500 calories per lb estimate better relates to fat gains than muscle gains. There are 454g in a lb and fat contains ~9 calories of energy per gram. 454*9=~4000. However, 1 lb of fat is not pure triglycerides, so less than 4000 calories of energy is stored in a lb of fat. Hence the 3500 calorie per lb estimate. Yes, a lb of muscle contains far less energy than a lb of fat, but you also need to account for the calories required to synthesize a lb of muscle, which is a more complicated and less accurate estimate. I have seen an estimate of 2500 calories to synthesize one lb of muscle listed without references. In real life, the number can vary dramatically. Some people have to consume more than 5000 calories above maintenence to gain 1lb of mass (both muscle and fat), while others can gain one lb of mass with less than 3000 calories above maintenance. Since there is so much varyation among individuals, the best way to determine how many calories are needed would be to track calorie intake and weight gain. I would suggest increasing calories in small increments, until you are gaining at the desired rate.
    Last edited by aka23; 11-29-2003 at 04:12 AM.

Must.. Eat.. More..
    I just started goin to the gym about 6 weeks ago and since then i have gained almost 20 pounds. from 150 to 168. I just started eating alot of eggs and tuna and oatmeal and what not.. OH AND! I quit smoking (one of the reasons i started lifting) so i would not doubt that that had soemthign to do wiht it. Also I THINK i have really good genetics or somethign to do with a fast metabolism like i bet i could gain 5 pounds in a week if i tried. I think it all just depends on your body?

Wannabebig Member
    Since I started lifting 2-3 weeks ago i didn't notice any huge difference but I can feel the strength when i lift I notice a difference, How long will it take for me to start seeing a difference, Should i start to eat more meals a day but smaller ones. Or should i just keep lifting until i notice it.
    Brian Hess

Must.. Eat.. More..
    Im a noob bu as far as i know, smaller meals are better as long as you have them more often. I am pretty sure what you eat will for the most part be the deciding factor on you getting bigger or more mass. You can lift all you want bu if your eating right you wont notice much.
    This seems like the cool thing to do...

READ MY JOURNAL: CLCIK HERE FOR TITS.. i mean my journal..
    my pics

Wannabebig Member
    Someone once suggested forcing protein into my body and start to lift in high reps to see huge differences. Is that a good way of doing so?
    Brian Hess

Must.. Eat.. More..
    Well first off what exactly is it that you are looking for? I know protein is good. I dotn know anything about high reps and "forcing" protein? im really a n00b but what worked for me was startign to eat alot of protein and eat more meals and jsut eat mroe in general.. and im cutting out junk food /fast food anythign liek that. and it has seemed to be working.