Thread: Losing Weight At College

Wannabebig Member

Losing Weight At College

As the subject title suggests I'm interested in losing weight while at college. As I've stated in my introduction thread New To WBBF.com , I'm a college Junior.

When I was in high school I played three varsity sports and was in very good shape. Unfortunately, I put on the Freshman 15 and haven't looked back. I was very embarassed when I returned home for Thanksgiving break and found that I currently weight 208lbs.

In browsing the internet, I found eDiets and after plugging in some information and the Atkins diet was suggested to me. The plan has my current weight (208lbs) and BMI (32) as well as goals in weight (143lbs) and BMI (18.5 - 25).

As a typical college student I don't have $40 a week to spend on a diet program so I google'd the Atkins diet and researched it online. Without rambling anymore, I'd like to know if this is a proper diet for me?

I'm not interested in becoming a body builder but I am interested in losing 40 lbs of fat over a healthy time period and adding some muscle. As interested as I am in looking good, being healthy is most important to me. I want to spend time in the gym and eat the right foods to get in better shape. Can anyone give me some suggestions for my diet?

Thanks in advance,

Jay
    Last edited by Cobweb; 11-29-2003 at 09:09 PM.

i would suggest eating about 1g of protien per/lb of bodyweight(just to help with muscle mass increase and maintenance), count you calories on a site such as www.fitday.com, be religious about your diet and excercise, and eat clean foods. once the beginner gains have ceased(losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time) try to slowly decrease your cals each week to where you are losing about 1lb per week, as this helps with reducing muscle loss. other than that, all i can tell you is hit the weights, get some good cardio and stick to that diet.

Originally posted by Jasonl
    i would suggest eating about 1g of protien per/lb of bodyweight(just to help with muscle mass increase and maintenance), count you calories on a site such as www.fitday.com, be religious about your diet and excercise, and eat clean foods. once the beginner gains have ceased(losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time) try to slowly decrease your cals each week to where you are losing about 1lb per week, as this helps with reducing muscle loss. other than that, all i can tell you is hit the weights, get some good cardio and stick to that diet.
    Great post.. little messy to read.. but great info

The atkins diet wwould work.. but its not the funniest thing to do, plus you can't build any real muscle on it.. so thas pretty much useless.. just follow what jason said and u'll be fine

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the great advice defcon and Jason.

If you have any appreciable amount of muscle, the BMI may not be all that accurate.

Great post.. little messy to read.. but great info
    HEY, be nice! i'd just had the workout from hell and my arms were still shaking... i could barley drive home.