Thread: Big Guys that train for 2 hours...

Hybrid View

Big Guys that train for 2 hours...

I've read everywhere that your routine should take around an hour and thats what I do. When I first started I used to train for 2 - 2.5 hours, 5 times a week because some of my friends that are big told me that would get me big fast.

What I wanna know is how come I always see big guys that have 8 exercises of 5 X 8 of one body part? I see these guys all time, one of my friends works out like that and he is big and lean.

Whats up with that???

youre going to hear about 25 different answers to this question. and then it will escalate into a big arguement.

lets start with my opinion. could be a number of factors. ive seen guys like this, and i started my training years ago the same way. 2 hour gym sessions 6 days a week. but i was eating so damn much, that i just kept growing. so perhaps it can be argued that as long as the body is being fueled and filled with nutrients, than the extra training wont be overtraining, just extra work.

roids could be another factor, but prolly not.

genetics could be another.

who knows, maybe you should try it for a couple months and see if it works for you. if it doesnt, try something else.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

i only work out for liek freakin 30 minutes at a time.just 4 sets per bodypart, usually just two parts at a time. (quads/calves, or back/bis, or chest/tris). * in my opinion* 4 sets is absolutely perfect and anything more would be unnecessary (4 after two warm ups. ) and also, dont think about the volume of a workout, rather the intensity. one person can go in and bust ass for 30 minutes whereas it takes another a hour to get the same workout. anyways peace

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    I just started cycles of cutting and bulking since finding this site, and I have noticed that my sessions on a bulk or much longer than my sessions when cutting.......which would mean calorie intake is the main factor for me.

right now I am bulking and have 1.5 to 2 hour sessions and love it, growing like crazy.

On my last cut, using supersets, I couldnt go more than 45 minutes for a workout before losing energy and motiovation.

keeping things under an hour when first starting out is a good idea, then you can start factoring in other stuff the more experience you get, and finding what works for you with diet and types of exercises to do with different rep schemes
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Originally posted by AzBboy
    i only work out for liek freakin 30 minutes at a time.just 4 sets per bodypart, usually just two parts at a time. (quads/calves, or back/bis, or chest/tris). * in my opinion* 4 sets is absolutely perfect and anything more would be unnecessary (4 after two warm ups. ) and also, dont think about the volume of a workout, rather the intensity. one person can go in and bust ass for 30 minutes whereas it takes another a hour to get the same workout. anyways peace
    :withstupi

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    I think you could train like 2 hours a day for 6 days a week for a while and make some decent gains on it. But over a prolonged period of time either 1. you will seriously over train and suck or 2. 1/2 assing it for that time and spending more time then needed in the gym. Is it optimal? No.
    w00t

3:16
    depends on how long you rest.

some people rest 30-60 seconds between rest. while other people will rest 2-4 minutes.
    the laterr group will take a lot longer even if doing a similar amount of sets.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

The guys I see who spend that much time "working out" spend the vast majority of that time standing around talking.

Last week, I watched on of those guys while I did my routine. I went through my entire workout in 45 minutes. During that time, he did 3 sets of incline benches. He's known to be in the gym for hours. No wonder.
    Winners train. Losers complain.

hmmm

I rotate the workouts I do; and when I'm doing a 6 day a week they usually last 45 min to an hour.

Actually, even when I cut back to 3 day/week to bulk, I don't go much over an hour usually.

3:16
    well i get boared if i do not talk in between sets.

but if the gym is empty as it can be if i work late. I still take the same amount of time.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Originally posted by TheBug
    Last week, I watched on of those guys while I did my routine. I went through my entire workout in 45 minutes. During that time, he did 3 sets of incline benches. He's known to be in the gym for hours. No wonder.
    I hate those guys, its even worse when they are using the weights you need.

Wannabebig Member cathchris2003's Avatar
    Oh, I know, those are the pompus ones. I usually workout at home, but I went one night with my sister to the gym and I hated it. Those guys stand there and talk, sometimes look at you, whisper, I don't think they were gay, but just the same, I was trying to do a workout and they were annoying me.

Sorry, this one was a little off topic but I had to vent.

Yep. Usually either people who are dedicated to the point where the gym is their home away from home, or they want to get the most outta their cycle.

Nothing wrong with it. Personally Ive been working out for 1.75-2.25h a day 7days/week(1day is Abs/Cardio i.e my semi-off day, 20m cardio every day)for about 2mo. now and seen incredible newbie gains. I only go to failure on the 3days before my ab-day. I'll probably ease off when my newbie gains slow down and I may incorporate a real off-day or two. If your cutting I dont think its possible, or may be very difficult if you're doing your max wt's every day.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

For some obscure reason 2 of my sesion this week to me forever, close to 2 hours and it really pi55ed me off, no more exercises than normal just distractions and experiments that went wrong that added time.... I never like being longer than 1-1.5 hrs but occasionally sh!t happens!

One guy last week, a skinny lad at that, spent over 1.5hrs on biceps alone... now that is daft!

Dirty
    I am big, I am clever and I do impress my mates!!!

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    I was in the gym one time and I overheard some guy talking to his pals saying he'd been there for 4 hours! I was like 'what the hell?' The rule, at least for me, tends to be "less is more." Actually I end up doing around 20 sets total, but I kick my butt and get out of there in like 45 minutes.
    Last edited by reloaded; 12-05-2003 at 10:22 PM.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

Food makes you big.

I remeber this guy that said he was in the gym eight hours. Funny thing though is the guy looked like crap. He reminded me of Jerod from Subway.
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; 12-05-2003 at 11:01 PM.

i remember hearing stories about guys that spend 6 hours in the gym, which to me means they went about 7 or so hours without eating....so the story is BS, in a nutshell.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

on the subject of talkers.

not too long ago my training partner and i wanted to use the lat pulldown, they were all taken. this one jackass had his towel on it and said he had 2 more sets, so we said fine. after his first set he begins talking to his friend on a bench behind him, we waited way too long without saying anything(close to 5 minutes). finally i said "look were working in with you then.". this a$$hole then says, "thats cool i was done anyways". my cousin/training partner who is far more hot headed than i am starts to verbally thrash the guy who i think by the look on his face wished the earth would have just opened him up and swallowed him.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Simplistic
    Sounds like he deserved it.

The same guy that said he worked out 8 hours also had lots of stories for the guys willing to listen. I think he told people he was an explosives expert and other that he was a bodyguard for some famous person. He would talk nothing but pure BS.

Once, he was talking to another guy about motorcycles and the guy tell the dude, “so what do you think of the xb35z”. And the guy responds, “Those are too slow man, I had one and gave it away to get my Harley”. When the dude left, the other guys said he had made up the name of the bike and model number.

lol, you can always spot a bull$hitter when they open up with..."yeah this buddy of mine..."

6'2"
    273 lbs.