The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Perspective wanted: What are respectable lifts for my weight?

Height: 5'10.5"
    Weight: 231

What is a respectable weight to lift for the Bench, Deadlift, and Squat?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

GONNA GET BIG
    THEY SAY IT IS GOOD IF YOU CAN BENCH A LITTLE MORE THAN YOUR WIEGHT

THEY SAY IT IS GOOD IF YOU CAN SQUAT ALMOST TWICE YOUR WIEGHT

dedlift twice your weight for reps

squat 100 lbs over your weight for reps

bench 100 lbs over your weight for reps
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

Re: Perspective wanted: What are respectable lifts for my weight?

Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
    Height: 5'10.5"
    Weight: 231

What is a respectable weight to lift for the Bench, Deadlift, and Squat?
    You're pretty heavy for your height so:

Bench - over 330 would be respectable
    Squat - 450+
    Deadlift - 500+

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Originally posted by Bam Bam
    dedlift twice your weight for reps

squat 100 lbs over your weight for reps

bench 100 lbs over your weight for reps
    Benching as much as squatting?

This thread makes no sense anyway.

Overtrainer.
    Bench 450

Squat 500+

Dead 500+

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    I disagree with everyone

Depends how long you've been training

Thanks for the #s everyone, and Junior - I just want some good long term goals.

Wannabebig Member
    I weigh 120 lbs and i can only squat 180-190 lbs
    And my bench is around or slightly below my bw
    I never try conventional deadlifts before but i do RDls
    Anyway i just started lifting 4 weeks ago 2 times a week.. it is acceptable stats?
    Main goal is to increase vertical leap.

Senior of Kinesiology
    For just starting 4 weeks ago I'd say your doing very well. Getting really strong takes time. Just remember that!
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

It's time for a classic smartass post.

A respectable lift is a lift more than your old PR.
    5-9 170

Originally posted by ryan1117

Ditto.

Wannabebig Member
    My best lifts ever :
    Squat 332 bench press 260 dead lift 330
    I am 4f11 , I was 120 pouds
    I was and I am still a woman

Wannabebig Member
    anything over your own body weight like say you weigh 150lbs and you can bench 150lbs thats stilll good, or even if you weigh 150lbs and you can squat 150lbs for a workout thats good

Westside
    im still looking to try to bench my weight so dont feel bad BUT IM ALMOST THER

benching almost as much as you're squatting??? You should be able to squat at least 30% more than you bench to be even marginally normally developed. At 5'10" @ 231 (basically my current size) I would say a respectable goal would be 500, 350, 550 (sq, bp, dl). Though this depends on a lot of factors, including build, etc. Mine should be closer to 550, 400, 450.

It depends what you mean by "respectable". Compared to 100 random people in the world, a respectable lift wouldn't be nearly as heavy if you take 100 sample people from the bodybuilding/powerlifting world. There are all kinds of levels to view that question on.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    I see other people as having a respectable lift if they are straining and struggling to get the weight up. No matter what the weight is because everyone is different and at different levels. It is the people who just casually push the weight up and just let drop, like it was the easiest thing in the world, that I wonder why are you here.

Goals:
    I would start with going for
    Bench BD for a couple of reps
    Squats BD + 50 pounds for 3 - 4 reps
    Deadlifet BD + 50 pounds for 3 - 4 reps

BD = body weight.

Why do you want to know?? If it is because you are embarassed at the gym around some steriod using freaks then focus more on your lifting and less on them. If it is just for setting goals then make your goal 2.5 - 5 pounds heavier than your current max every couple of weeks. For long term goals, see the average other post.

Originally posted by liftalittle
    I see other people as having a respectable lift if they are straining and struggling to get the weight up. No matter what the weight is because everyone is different and at different levels. It is the people who just casually push the weight up and just let drop, like it was the easiest thing in the world, that I wonder why are you here.

Goals:
    I would start with going for
    Bench BD for a couple of reps
    Squats BD + 50 pounds for 3 - 4 reps
    Deadlifet BD + 50 pounds for 3 - 4 reps

BD = body weight.

Why do you want to know?? If it is because you are embarassed at the gym around some steriod using freaks then focus more on your lifting and less on them. If it is just for setting goals then make your goal 2.5 - 5 pounds heavier than your current max every couple of weeks. For long term goals, see the average other post.
    You mean BW.

Benching your bodyweight once or twice is something the average person should be able to do that is in average shape. If your 180lbs you should be able to bench that.

Id say an impressive bench would be BW+ 80-100lbs for a 1rm. Now there are a lot of ppl that can do that plus another 50lbs, and more. And there are people that can't even come close to that, it all depends on a number of factors.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Originally posted by ryan1117
    It's time for a classic smartass post.

That`s a good point though. This has been an interesting thread, with a lot of different responses. BUt really you cant compare yourself with what others think are respectable. I`ve been at it for a bit under two years. At one time I thought 200lbs. was respectable. That was about 20lb more than I weigh. Then I hit 250. Recently I hit 275 on the bench press. Right now I`m at 315 on my squat, and 360 on my deadlift. I`m still not satisfied.

Originally posted by daddyzombie

That`s a good point though. This has been an interesting thread, with a lot of different responses. BUt really you cant compare yourself with what others think are respectable. I`ve been at it for a bit under two years. At one time I thought 200lbs. was respectable. That was about 20lb more than I weigh. Then I hit 250. Recently I hit 275 on the bench press. Right now I`m at 315 on my squat, and 360 on my deadlift. I`m still not satisfied.
    i agree, i used to think 315 was alot of weight for bench, then i got there . then i thought doing 400+ was a lot for squats, then i got there i am never satisfied with my lifts.

Quagmire wannabe
    Originally posted by barbellan
    My best lifts ever :
    Squat 332 bench press 260 dead lift 330
    I am 4f11 , I was 120 pouds
    I was and I am still a woman
    good to know that those lifts didnt change your sex

He who hesitates masturbates........

That question is far too broad. What is respectable in each lift? To whom? If you are comparing yourself to world class powerlifters, then the numbers stated above are laughably low, but if you are comparing yourself to the average joe on the street who will never see the inside of a gym, then even bench pressing your bodyweight for a single puts you in the upper echelon.

For the average person, who is not an athlete, there have been reports I have seen from various sources, that more or less agree that if you can bench your bodyweight, that puts you in the top 10%, and if you can do your bodyweight for 10 reps, that puts you in the top 1%,

on squats and deads, it would be the same, up to 150% of your bodyweight for reps to put you in the same categories.

But it is very dependent upon body type. If you are all arms and legs with a very short torso, then benching your bodyweight for 10 reps is very impressive, if you have only been training a short while. But that same lanky person might be able to deadlift double bodyweight for many reps almost from the beginning due to good leverage.

I am double bodyweight plus in the bench and deadlift, and about triple bodyweight in the squat, but I have been training for about 13 years now, and I am not the strongest guy in my circle of friends. In my gym, benching your bodyweight is nothing, most hit it in warmups without noticing it. Benching double bodyweight for us is a big deal. We have 5 guys in my gym who have done that in competition.

So it really all depends. If you are just starting out, you need to have a goal of 5 or 10 lbs more than your current lift on everything every month or two. And most goals are visual anyways. When I was in high school and starting out, I weighed 135, and my very unscientific bench program was to bench 135 for 3 sets of 5, 2 or 3 days per week. At that time, all I was focussed on was getting to one plate plus a quarter (185), which I did. After that the goal was 2 plates (225), then 2 plates plus a quarter (275) then 3 wheels, and so forth and so on.

Hearing about respectable lifts is all well and good, and it can be good for the ego, if you stack up well with what others consider respectable, or it can be devastating if you don't measure up, but in my opinion, you should never limit yourself by such things.

When I first started powerlifting 2 and 1/2 years ago, I lifted 355 at 215 bodyweight in my first competition, and watched Jason Jackson and Kim Brownfield both competing at 242 bench 585 and 575 respectively. That day I remember distinctly thinking that some day, maybe 5 or 10 years down the road, I might just might be able to do a 500 bench.

18 months later I benched 500 for the first time in a competition. I very quickly saw, after that first competition, that I could indeed get to 500, and much faster than I ever thought possible. But that is because I changed my way of thinking. If I had been hung up on the thought that 500 was a nearly unatainable goal, then it would have remained thus.

Right now I am chasing 600 and have every intention of smashing that in February. But I will not stop there, there is nothing in my mind that makes me think that is as far as I can go. There are a bunch of hokey coach type phrases, but some of them ring true, and my favorite is "If you think you can, or you think you can't, you are probably right!"

Your goal should always be about 25 to 50 lbs beyond your current PR. Whether you are squatting 200 or 900, those that get where they want to be are those who are hungry and keep chasing that next PR. Some times it gets tough, and the longer you are in the game, the tougher the PR's are to find, but keep at it, and before you know it, you will look back and smile as you warm up with a weight that used to bury you.

B.

Great post B!