Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does diet have ANYTHING to do with this?

Wannabebig Member

Does diet have ANYTHING to do with this?

Well I live in a town where alot of people surf (I don't), and I've noticed some of the guys are really built (surfing build you up heaps), and some of the guys hardly have any muscle definition, or much muscle at all, even tho some of these guys (that dont have as much muscle) have been surfing for longer or surf more often than the really built guys.

Is this just a gene thing, or is it linked ot the fact that the built guys might be eating healthier foods?

Back in the game
    or they could hit the weights
    Lordy,Lordy.
    Wont mind hanging out the back of that- Paddy.

There is a miracle supplement its called 110%
    Hardwork that is..........- Peter Parker

Your workouts are only limited cos of your imagination- Peter Parker

No movie makes me Question my own sexuality quite like this one - Gyno Rhino

they are either genetically gifted.. or the less build guys got a realyl sucky diet, or as PP said, maybe the built peeps lift

Wannabebig Member
    Nah they dont, most of em are my friends so I know anyway, but would a really good diet help in building (without lifting, only surfing)

Grasshoppa
    I wouldn't replace lifting with surfing.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quagmire wannabe
    well if they are your friends why dont you ask them??
    He who hesitates masturbates........

Wannabebig Member
    fen2zla: Because I dont want to sound gay lol
    "Hey...I've noticed you have a built physique, how did you come by this?" -_-

So would a good diet aid building muscle due to surfing?
    And would a bad diet stunt it?

Don`t "feel gay"

thats sily

Grasshoppa
    Honestly, muscle growth due to surfing, is most likely limited. The weight is constant and seems to focus more on your lower body than anything. I don't see why you would want to limit building muscle to surfing.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    Nah, im gonna start lifting once I buy some weights, but Im going to start surfing as well, as that will help....

surfing will not get you the lean built body like your friend got.

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind. (1) Surfing requires you to use all the muscles in your body to a greater or lesser extent (i.e. paddling against the waves, springing up on the board, balancing on the board). Lifting weights isn't the only way to build big muscles... every see the calves of sprinters? (2) Surfing has both aerobic and anaerobic aspects allowing individuals to build muscle and stay lean. Therefore, the muscle mass that they do have stands out more because they are lean. (3) Those that surf often get deep tans that tend to accentuate muscle definition.

For the most part, however, I think it is genetics. Some guys are just naturally mesomorphic and build muscle easily.

For the most part, however, I think it is genetics. Some guys are just naturally mesomorphic and build muscle easily.
    Yes this is true but let's not down play the importance of diet. A mesomorph who eats like sh!t will still look soft. I'm pretty sure that the surfers who look good have a much better diet than the sloppy ones. It also wouldn't suprise me if the better looking surfers were also hitting the gym a few times a week. If these guys are your friends just talk to them about it. Most people have to work pretty hard to build and maintain a nice physique and it is usually taken as a compliment when someone asks you for advise on how to make improvements to your own physique.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok cool, yeah I understand it all now, and i will ask em

But I really want muscle definition....will lifting weights (and going on a diet) allow me to get that or will the extra mass I gain from eating more cover them up?

Yes, a better diet should help them build muscle while surfing. But it comes down to genetics, the big built guys would probably have pretty much the same build if they didnt surf.

Muscle defenition is a funtion of bodyfat, so a clean calorie deficient diet while lifting is what your looking for.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Grasshoppa
    Yes, some people are just born with great genes and will just have that type of body no matter what. A friend of mine only plays basketball every so often...no weights, he's pretty lean and built looking and he's the biggest eater I've ever seen.

These are the people you look at and wish harm upon because you hate what they have without doing any work =P.
    Shao-LiN

Wannabebig Member
    "surfing will not get you the lean built body like your friend got"

It all depends; i used to surf five days a week and was pretty ripped, i was around 18 at the time ate and drank what i wanted.

Although, i'd say genetics do play a large part, never - the - less don't under estimate the pyhsical strains of surfing, you have to be strong and fit to do it. Duck Diving 6 feet of white-wash requires alot of strength. I believe surfing, and surfing alone with a good diet can give you a great body.
    Eat your cereal with a fork and do your homework in the dark

Grasshoppa
    It might help you lean up a bit, but it won't bulk you up much in my opinion.
    Shao-LiN

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah ill start surfin and that HST thing (http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com) thing looks good, is it free? I havent looked thoroughly through the site

Grasshoppa
    Read through the site =).
    Shao-LiN

Wannabebig Member
    damn you:P

Yeah im looking through now

Wannabebig Member
    all this crap is too complicated (HST)

Could someone pelase give me the basic rundown, how am I supposed to do all that workout crap (know all this jargon) when Im completely new to this.....

Grasshoppa
    Last I read it (which was a few months ago), he explained most stuff pretty well. If you're new to the lifting game, then I'd suggest starting out on a simpler routine to practice form.
    Shao-LiN

Wannabebig Member
    WBB routines it is then I guess

Grasshoppa
    Yah, WBB routines are good. WBB 1 is great for beginners.
    Shao-LiN