The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member chrisconnell85's Avatar

18 year old's college diet....Is it good?

Hey guys!
    I'm currenly cutting and can't really tell you how many calories I consuming a day. I'm guessing it's roughly 3000-3500...Anyway I was wondering if these foods are good for cutting.
    BTW i'm 5'10 175 18 years old. I'm not sure of my BF%

Carrots (baby)
    Apples (green)
    Cream of weat (mixed with skim milk)
    Whole wheat bread
    Tuna
    Real turkey
    Diet pop
    Whey (3 shakes mixed with water one with skim milk a day)
    Skim milk
    Lettuce
    Fat free hot dogs
    Light creamy peanut butter
    Egg whites
    light mayo (to put on Turkey sandwiches)
    Hot sauce

I was wondering if there's anything (good tasting) to add or take away from my list. Keep in mind that I want to see my abs ASAP (I can see the first two clearly and the middle ones are coming).

Another questions is cardio...
    Should I keep doing it? Obviously to have ab's you have to have a low BF% but I also don't want to lose my muscle. I want to know if running 0.6 KM before and after workout is too much also. I workout 4 days a week.

Thanks for the info and it's very well apreciated!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Some of that stuff might not be too healthy (eg. fat free hot dogs, I have no idea what's in that stuff) but none of it looks like it would be bad for cutting.

From what I've learned (I could be wrong) the only things to watch out for while cutting are high GI carbs. As long as you get enough protien and EFAs, and your cals are sufficiently below maintenance, you can eat basically whatever you want and still reduce bf%

Running will help lose the fat, just make sure you get enough protein.

Grasshoppa
    Only problem is he doens't know how many calories he's eating, hehe.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    As long as he knows how much he's eating each day, and keeps it fairly constant, then calories aren't really an issue.

If the fat loss slows, he trims his portions down.
    If there's too much muscle loss/too rapid weight loss, he increases his portions a bit.

Especially in a dorm situation, where you're gonna be going by "scoops/spoonfuls/packets/etc" in terms of portion size, this method would probably better than throwing around hard #s on calories, as they can be hard to guage depending on what sort of nutritional info your cafeteria provides.

If possible, I'd try switching to natural peanut butter instead of light-- less sugar and the fats in it are much better for you (most processed peanut butters contain hydrogenated oils). Ditto on the hot dogs-- never know what's in 'em. Other than that, diet looks pretty solid, so long as you're making progress.

Wannabebig Member chrisconnell85's Avatar

thanks

Hey guys thanks for the input it's VERY well apreciated. Anyway guys I just thought of another question I want to ask.
    I drink a lot of skim milk (i'm talking like 4-5 cups) that's including the milk in my protein drinks, cream of wheat etc. Anyway for CUTTING is that too much milk to consume? I heard that milk thickens skin...Is there any truth to that?
    I'm gonna cut out the fat free hot dogs. too high in Sodium anyway. Although they are mighty tasty! Any other cheap Protein ideas would be nice (keep in mind that i'm in a dorm and cooking food is very limited). Before anyone mentione's it either chicken breast is out of the question. Too friggin expensive for my blood.
    Thanks again guys.

p.s info on fat free wieners

Fat Free Wieners

Typical Analysis Per 55 g serving (1.5 wieners)
    Energy 59 Cal/250 kJ
    Protein 6.5 g
    Fat 0.4 g
    Polyunsaturates 0.1 g
    Monounsaturates 0.2 g
    Saturates 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 14 mg
    Carbohydrate 7.3 g
    Sodium 711 mg
    Potassium 105 mg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Percentage of Recommended Daily Intake
    Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 16%
    Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 6%
    Vitamin B6 8%
    Vitamin B12 8%
    Iron 4%
    Zinc 9%

Copyright 2001 - 2003 Schneider Foods. All rights reserved.
    Read our Terms of Use and our Privacy Statement
    Last edited by chrisconnell85; 12-04-2003 at 12:39 AM.

4-5 Cups of Skim Milk is fine in my opinion.

oh, and save the cardio for AFTER lifting or on a seperate day.
    Last edited by Saint Patrick; 12-04-2003 at 12:26 AM.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by chrisconnell85
    Hey guys thanks for the input it's VERY well apreciated. Anyway guys I just thought of another question I want to ask.
    I drink a lot of skim milk (i'm talking like 4-5 cups) that's including the milk in my protein drinks, cream of wheat etc. Anyway for CUTTING is that too much milk to consume? I heard that milk thickens skin...Is there any truth to that?
    The "thick skin" would most likely be attributed to water retention from the sodium that is in the milk.